General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Bicycle licensing and rules

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 10:51 PM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
Bicycle licensing and rules

Bikes are getting to be a bigger part of the road scene, but the rules are not very clear -- for either drivers or riders.

Case in point, I was making a right onto a 4 lane road. I turned on the red since no one was coming from the left.

I saw the rider across the intersection, and she was turning left -- signaling and everything. However, I think that she expected to swing right into the right hand lane and was a little surprised when I pulled out. It went OK --no harm, no foul.

Deal is, since bike riders aren't licensed ( around here anyway), it's hard to predict what they might do or expect you to do. Guvmint keeps on making it more confusing. For example, they're starting to insert bike lanes on some roads BETWEEN the normal 2 lanes. So, the lanes are now smaller, and nobody is saying anything about if they're expected to turn from this in between lane or move to one of the vehicle lanes.

More adults are riding bikes for longer distances -- good for them. I do think that for 'advanced' riding, they should be licensed, and you should be able to see some indication that they are. Then you'd at least know that they passed some kind of test, and you could expect them to follow whatever rules applied. (Wouldn't hurt if they published a little book about those too).

whattdoyathink?

hj

Old 10-04-2017, 11:35 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
They sure get all pissy when I drive my truck on the bike trails!