1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Poor Quality/Incorrect Reproduction Parts

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 08:07 PM
Gertie-The '49 F2
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 1 Post
Poor Quality/Incorrect Reproduction Parts

Getting back to working on Gertie, and ordering repro parts, I see the quality hasn't improved.

I posted a couple years ago when I bought a repro mirror from Mac's, about how the stamping was all borked, and required extensive rework to get the bracket to fit the hinge properly. Made several phone calls to Mac's, and they basically said buzz off, you get what you get.

Carpenters is doing the same thing.

Spent a couple hundred for a new headliner, and lo and behold!, it isn't the same as original. Their marketing claims it is, but I know better. Given that between my father and I we have owned Gertie for about a half century, and the truck was a low mileage vehicle when we got it and all original (42K miles), when I see a part that isn't original, I know.

The original cardboard used in the headliners and kick panels were treated with an moisture barrier/preservative that left the paper looking black. Although the facing side may be brown, red, whatever, the back side was black. Not the "exact of original" crap now being foisted upon the hobby. From all appearances, it is just plain cardboard.

And it doesn't end there.

The screw and clip set that comes with the headliner is grossly incorrect. What you get are stainless steel screws and washers (which is fine), that are not painted (not fine). At least in 1949, the headliner fasteners were painted black. Too, the screws were slotted. In point of fact, there were damn few fasteners that were not slotted in 1949. What Carpenter's pushes are Phillips head screws.

Fortunately, I located a supplier of the exact type screw, and I have 500 coming in on Monday.

And the thing that prompted me to write this Philippic against these purveyors of poop, are the hood trim clips they are selling. Bought a clip kit for the hood spears for Gertie as some had broke and the spears were getting loose. Popped off one of the spears, removed the old clips, and tried to install the spear with the new ones.

Virtually impossible. Put a couple of dimples in the spear because I was using too much force. Being a tool and die maker, I closely examined the new clips, and quickly saw the problem. While I strongly suspect the spring wire used on the new clips is heavier (hard to tell since the old clips are pretty deteriorated), it is obvious the new clips have too great of an angle on the bend (the part that has to collapse to enter the hole in the hood) to insert the clips into the hood holes without the use of needle nose pliers to squeeze the prongs.

Utter disaster. I wonder how many folks have scratched the dog crap out of their new hood paint job trying to install these things.

Done venting.

Forum members be wary of the stuff the mainstream repro people are putting out.

Joined the Early Ford V8 club, and intend on inquiring of club members as to who makes quality parts before I buy. I also intend on calling Carpenter's Monday and giving them a piece of my mind.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:22 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
The cardboard headliner I bought from Dennis Carpenter, about 10 years ago, looks nothing like the original that was in my '49 F4. The new cardboard has a nondescript random texture, whereas the original was leather grained. The brown paint on the original was also heavier and had a sheen to it. The new cardboard almost looks stained and is dull. I have been disappointed with the last couple of orders to Carpenter's, most of the items I received were Chinese. I ordered a starter button with start stamped on the bezel, it looks like the letters were stamped individually by hand. It looks nothing like an original Ford starter button, it would never pass on a show car.
Mark

Old 09-30-2017, 09:54 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
I agree. The 53-55 headliners kick panels are just gray cardboard. Here are some pictures of a new reproduction kick panel comparing it to the original kick panel from my 55 F350. The original cardboard had a definite texture, almost a grain.

If I had a Deluxe cab (53-54) or a Custom Cab (55-56) that I was restoring to original I would be ticked since they do not make the perforated headliner that these models had originally. And of course in their catalogs they say this is like the stock original.

an original perforated headliner from a 54 Deluxe Cab. Only the center section was perforated.

Earlier this summer I posted about an "original floor mat" I bought from Mac's. It did not have the perforations to punch out the holes for the ebrake and gear shift levers. And it was a ot thicker than the original....

Old 09-30-2017, 10:12 PM
3twinridges
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts
I bought a set of front spring shackle links from DC a few months ago and the shackle pin wouldn't line up, I had to really force it using an oak block and BFH. Afraid that the tension would cause problems down the road and possibly immediately, I searched for NOS and found them, fit was perfect. Same thing on the hood side spear clips for a 52 from DC and the lower front fender patch from DC. All incorrect fit, so I have started returning stuff that is junk fit. I used to not do that and ate it but the suppliers need to know and have the opportunity to fix either the product or the catalog.

JB

Old 09-30-2017, 11:31 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Plan on getting as many hood trim spring clips as possible on the parts safari and any other elusive clip . Will report back end of Oct . Am busy getting ready to make the trip 0 dark thirty wed. morning to the F-100 Nat's in Tn. Be there Thur Oct 5 - sat . Oct 7 then back to reality .Leave Oct 18 till the end of Oct to N. Wis . on the "Great 2017 Parts Safari "
Went through stated issue w/ POS china '51-'52 replacement turn signal housings & trim bezels . They just plain DO NOT fit . Acquired a set of original style for both trucks on one of the parts safaris . have a spare set here

Old 10-01-2017, 11:06 AM
KULTULZ
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 10-01-2017, 01:01 PM
Gertie-The '49 F2
More Turbo
Thank you KULTULZ for posting about the Licensing Program. I was aware that a program existed, but had never read up on it.

I have purchased a few parts from DC that were labeled as a Ford licensed licensed product, and indeed, the quality was good, and the part looked exactly like an original. The problem arises when DC and others throw in all the other parts from China or wherever, leave off the "Ford Licensed" label, but say it is "exact of original" or in some way lead one to believe the part is an exact replacement.

Old 10-01-2017, 01:05 PM
Gertie-The '49 F2
More Turbo
Yeah Denny, see if you can locate some of the PROPER hood trim clips, and let me know.

Old 10-01-2017, 04:14 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by 49fordv8f4
The cardboard headliner I bought from Dennis Carpenter, about 10 years ago, looks nothing like the original that was in my '49 F4. The new cardboard has a nondescript random texture, whereas the original was leather grained. The brown paint on the original was also heavier and had a sheen to it. The new cardboard almost looks stained and is dull. ...
Mark
No question DC's headliners are not an "as factory" reproduction. I would hazard a guess that a 48-50 kit made exactly like original would cost north of $600 if made in China, lots more if Made in USA. Shipping would be similarly higher to avoid damage. Not much market at that price point, IMO. For under $200 delivered, DC's kit is all I need.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:01 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
I am actually fine with my headliner as is. Their headliner should never pass as original in a judged show, but my truck is obviously not original anyways. I just get aggravated with DCs advertising their parts as "exact of original" when they are not necessarily even close, or they are junk like the starter button I mentioned. I know that they do make some parts from original Ford tooling and their plastic parts, such as dash ***** and dash plastic are really very good. So I guess I'm saying, not all their parts are bad, it is just impossible to know until you receive them.
Mark

Old 10-01-2017, 06:11 PM
Gertie-The '49 F2
More Turbo
I agree Ross with your assessment as far as cost for a truly original headliner. I also agree that the new one I just received from DC will be fine. What I disagree with is selling it as exactly like the original.

I also have serious issues with parts that are of extremely shoddy workmanship and ill fitting. The hood clips mentioned above, the black round mirrors that DC and Mac's both sell, an some of the rubber parts that both also market.

I posted on this forum about a year and a half ago concerning the lousy compound in the rubber fuel grommets from Carpenters. Since 2012, I have had 3 grommets, all from DC, installed on the truck. All have failed, or in failing condition within a year and a half. Even called DC to complain. Although they sent me a new grommet, they claimed no knowledge of any issues with them.

I just looked at the one on the truck this evening, and it is in a failing condition, with cracking and checking. Just checked my Truck Log, and see that this last grommet has lasted the longest. It was installed on September 25, 2015. Total mileage 1351. That is unacceptable.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:48 PM
ct50f1
More Turbo
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Some of the "quality" S.S. carriage bolts that came in the Bed Bolt Kit from Carpenter.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:00 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Wow! Did you get your money back?

Old 10-02-2017, 09:02 PM
3twinridges
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts
Another example of poor fitting DC part, the battery tray. Had to grind 1/4 from one of the holes so it would align on the frame.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:08 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
WOW !!! I would call or send them back & tell them where to put them (sideways ) .
Purchased a "chrome plated " fuel door for the "Tow Beast " lasted 6 weeks in the weather & started to corrode . Told them I would like a full refund . Gave me 75% back & purchased another . Will see how long it takes for that one to take a s^*t .
I do not mind paying some one for a quality job , but don't rape me . Have a chrome shop in Melbourne , Fla that replates parts . They do a very good job & I do not mind paying for quality work .
Have a shop in Bunnell , Fla. taking out some dings & polishing a set of bright metal 5 star extra cab hood trim . Quoted a very fair price . Will post pics when they return .

Quick Reply: Poor Quality/Incorrect Reproduction Parts