1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Has Anyone Ever ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 12:30 PM
pchelp
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Has Anyone Ever ?

Installed an aftermarket tilt column and reused the OEM mountain braces ?

Old 09-24-2017, 12:52 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I have a factory tilt wheel column from a '78 F150 so, I didn't have any problems of the bracket clamping around the column tube.

Looks like you may have to make some sort of split bushing --possibly out of some UHMW material (?) --just a thought, to take up the gap and secure the tube.

https://www.usplastic.com/mobile/item.aspx?itemid=23155

The factory column tube O.D. is 2-1/4".

Old 09-24-2017, 02:51 PM
pchelp
Elder User
Originally Posted by ultraranger
I have a factory tilt wheel column from a '78 F150 so, I didn't have any problems of the bracket clamping around the column tube.

Looks like you may have to make some sort of split bushing --possibly out of some UHMW material (?) --just a thought, to take up the gap and secure the tube.

https://www.usplastic.com/mobile/item.aspx?itemid=23155

The factory column tube O.D. is 2-1/4".
Wouldn't it be nice if someone had already made an over the counter bolt on bushing? But would be just asking too much! Hadn't thought of PVC, was guessing aluminum with set screws for stability.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:04 PM
Uni Moe
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
What if you took a thick rubber matt and cut a 3" wide strip and wrapped it tightly around until you get the right diameter. The green trim piece would cover it up. Is that the only thing that keeps the whole column from turning? It would have to be clamped tightly.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:29 PM
pchelp
Elder User
Originally Posted by Uni Moe
What if you took a thick rubber matt and cut a 3" wide strip and wrapped it tightly around until you get the right diameter. The green trim piece would cover it up. Is that the only thing that keeps the whole column from turning? It would have to be clamped tightly.
Not sure if rubber would be the right material, the OEM brace is welded to the steal column housing. This prevents any upward and downward or side to side movement of the column. It would have to be made of a material with no give.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:33 PM
TeachNlive4ever
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Can you fab a bottom bracket or does the top Waller around too?

Old 09-24-2017, 09:12 PM
pchelp
Elder User
Originally Posted by TeachNlive4ever
Can you fab a bottom bracket or does the top Waller around too?
If I could secure the column against the upper half I would be happy with an engineered lower bracket

Old 09-25-2017, 01:03 AM
RichS2659
Cargo Master
Received 152 Likes on 132 Posts
Nearly all the aftermarket columns were developed from Chimmy columns and for street rods like 32 Fords so they are not an exact match. Some don't even use Ford wiring patterns so they will have to be adapted to the Ford harness. Was this an Ebay buy?

Old 09-25-2017, 07:03 AM
pchelp
Elder User
Originally Posted by RichS2659
Nearly all the aftermarket columns were developed from Chimmy columns and for street rods like 32 Fords so they are not an exact match. Some don't even use Ford wiring patterns so they will have to be adapted to the Ford harness. Was this an Ebay buy?
Yep, I bought it on eBay, it has a 2in outside diameter, a lot smaller than OEM

Old 09-25-2017, 07:07 AM
TeachNlive4ever
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
What happens if you find another lower bracket, cut the ears off, place it inside the other and drag it over here and I'll weld it up for you?

Old 09-25-2017, 11:31 AM
pchelp
Elder User
Originally Posted by TeachNlive4ever
What happens if you find another lower bracket, cut the ears off, place it inside the other and drag it over here and I'll weld it up for you?
The brace is only about 1/4 inch thick, I think I am going to weld in a piece of 3/8 stock to the lower half of the bracket.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:35 PM
Uni Moe
Laughing Gas
What if you were to drill a hole in the upper half and install some kind of short pin that goes just slightly into the new column. That would hold it in place in all directions when you figure out the clamp from below.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:52 PM
pchelp
Elder User
What if you were to drill a hole in the upper half and install some kind of short pin that goes just slightly into the new column. That would hold it in place in all directions when you figure out the clamp from below.
Well another lesson learned the hard way, this tilt column is going back. Besides the OD being too small and the lack of a brace I ran into my biggest issue . The New OEM stock 16in steering wheel that I paid a pretty penny for does not fit the column at all!

This is what happens when you try to save money, Looks like I'll be dropping the big bucks for an Ididit column with the correct OD and bracket welded on😂

Old 09-25-2017, 07:34 PM
Uni Moe
Laughing Gas
I've looked into aftermarket columns for our bumps in the past and I've never found one that would work without considerable hassle. For one thing most of them come with GM wiring. Even the Ididit retrofit column for our bumps require some adapting and a tilt model with no column shifter, painted black is over $800.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:52 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I've looked into aftermarket columns for our bumps in the past and I've never found one that would work without considerable hassle. For one thing most of them come with GM wiring. Even the Ididit retrofit column for our bumps require some adapting and a tilt model with no column shifter, painted black is over $800.
Even if you find/obtain a factory '78/'79 tilt, you'll likely have several hundreds of dollars into it by the time you pay for the column, install new bearings, TSS, R&R various parts, etc., and install a quality steering wheel/adapter. Possibly the only exception would be if you found a '78/'79 tilt in immaculate condition for cheap.

Given the above, I probably have around $750.00 in my '78 column when all was said, done and installed. --but, it's a factory part that bolts up and fits right the first time.

Quick Reply: Has Anyone Ever ?