Bed tool box options - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bed tool box options

Old 09-24-2017, 12:19 AM
Posting Guru

Ricohman has a good reputation on FTE.Ricohman has a good reputation on FTE.
Bed tool box options

Since I'm moving back to an 8 foot box, I was thinking about adding a tool box to the bed of my new F450 that will be here in a few weeks.
The two things I would like is light weight and easily removable, and something that doesn't grind the top of the bed sides.
Any recommendations?
Old 09-24-2017, 07:05 AM
Senior User

Xwild is starting off with a positive reputation.
They're all lightweight and easily removable.. until you load them up with a few hundred pounds of crap. Since I put a cover on this truck, I've moved to 3 small totes to keep the individual weight down, and also have more organization..
Old 09-24-2017, 07:13 AM
Senior User

USSenator is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You may want to consider waterproof too.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:28 AM
Freshman User

Lake Effect is starting off with a positive reputation.
Whatever you buy make sure its made by Weathergaurd. I've seen a lot of different truck tool boxes and Weatherguard is tops for quality. Also get yourself a thick rubber matt for the bottom. I have a 1/2" thick piece custom cut for the bottom of my box. It makes a difference having a thick piece of rubber to dampen the load. I currently have a Weatherguard model 127 which sits on the bed rail and is the smaller brother to the King of tool boxes the 117 Weathergaurd. If I wanted something under the rail I'd probably go with a model 674 chest box.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:44 AM
Posting Guru

cficare is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.cficare is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ricohman - Where are you located? I'm looking to unload mine ... https://norfolk.craigslist.org/pts/d...282655793.html
After removing these from my F150, all I had to do was clean the top rails ("camper shell tape" residue) ... no deformation and looks unused.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:55 AM
Senior User

Faceplant409 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Go Weatherguard

I second Weatherguard.
Best built, best locking mechanism and they are weatherstripped.
They come in alum and steel in a variety of styles, sizes and colors. I'm on my 3rd truck with a 116 steel single lid saddle box. I just actuallly finished running factory alarm and power for LED lights into my box.
Couldn't be happier.
Most other boxes are childs play compared to WG.
Though.. they are not cheap.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:56 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Effect View Post
Whatever you buy make sure its made by Weathergaurd. I've seen a lot of different truck tool boxes and Weatherguard is tops for quality. Also get yourself a thick rubber matt for the bottom. I have a 1/2" thick piece custom cut for the bottom of my box. It makes a difference having a thick piece of rubber to dampen the load. I currently have a Weatherguard model 127 which sits on the bed rail and is the smaller brother to the King of tool boxes the 117 Weathergaurd. If I wanted something under the rail I'd probably go with a model 674 chest box.
I will have a bed mat on top of the spray in liner. I want waterproof as well. Never thought of it until it was mentioned above.
My last tool box was a diamond plate thing that weighed 200 pounds and filled with water so my tools could rust.
I will be checking out the Weatherguard.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:58 AM
Senior User

DSLTRK60 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricohman View Post
I will have a bed mat on top of the spray in liner. I want waterproof as well. Never thought of it until it was mentioned above.
My last tool box was a diamond plate thing that weighed 200 pounds and filled with water so my tools could rust.
I will be checking out the Weatherguard.
Why not just get a hard rolling tonneau cover? Then the whole bed is the toolbox, and there is no aftermarket key to carry around, you use the truck tailgate as access.

I've found the over the rails toolboxes will destroy the corner welds, and the flush 5th wheel boxes need to be bolted down and will rattle loose.

Not doing that again, I've had good luck with covers.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:14 PM
Junior User

dzlbudman is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you’re I texas my lowpro Weathergaurd is for sale.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:09 PM
Junior User

ForeverFixing is starting off with a positive reputation.
I love my ProTech. Top notch boxes. Mine is flush with the top rail.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:51 PM
Senior User

boulderbronco is starting off with a positive reputation.
WG is the best. But at around $800, they are pricey. My last two Boxes have been the Delta Pro boxes. They are a step above the budget line of boxes. Strong, well built, secure and about half the cost of WG.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:00 PM
Senior User

Habemus Quattro is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yet another vote for Weather Guard. I have the aluminum 121 low profile saddle box in black. It's sturdy enough for a big guy like me to stand on while I'm washing the roof.

I keep all sorts of things in it: my towing equipment, recovery strap, tie downs, compressor, tools, and even small bottles of Opti-Lube ready for the next visit to the filling station.

The low profile Weather Guard boxes are not compatible with any tonneau covers that I know of because the lock buttons face rearward and are right at level with the bed rails. The full size boxes have the locks facing either side so are a better choice if you want to combine with a cover.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:03 PM
Senior User

Habemus Quattro is starting off with a positive reputation.
My thoughts on pricing...

I paid about $700 for Weather Guard at Home Depot. My 2017 is the second truck the toolbox has been in. Won't be the last. I expect my kids will use this box long after I kick it. Or you can get a cheaper one and expect it to be replaced...
Old 09-24-2017, 05:15 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habemus Quattro View Post
Yet another vote for Weather Guard. I have the aluminum 121 low profile saddle box in black. It's sturdy enough for a big guy like me to stand on while I'm washing the roof.

I keep all sorts of things in it: my towing equipment, recovery strap, tie downs, compressor, tools, and even small bottles of Opti-Lube ready for the next visit to the filling station.

The low profile Weather Guard boxes are not compatible with any tonneau covers that I know of because the lock buttons face rearward and are right at level with the bed rails. The full size boxes have the locks facing either side so are a better choice if you want to combine with a cover.
That looks great. It's low enough so that the sliding rear window is out in the open.
What kind of bed mat is that?
Old 09-24-2017, 08:10 PM
Senior User

Omega Man is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Omega Man is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I went this route, fabricated a aluminum frame to get it up off the bed floor allowing me to slide longer material underneath.

Held in place by turn buckles

All my straps and tools organized in milk crates, making everything easy to remove. I can have the entire box out in less than 10 minutes.