Andersen Ultimate Hitch and half ton truck- Not so good

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 11:04 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
When you have something useful to post such as actual experience with the hitch on an aluminum F150, please chime in. Otherwise
Here are some things useful since you are clearly upset and frustrated with your purchase.

An F150 towing a 5th wheel trailer is a bad fit.

You bought the wrong hitch for your truck.

Sell the hitch, return the hitch or throw it away, either way this hitch will not work for your F150.

Each situation/application is different, clearly your research was not accurate enough for your situation. Or, you took a bunch of free advice from multiple forums and the seller of a product as the a confirmation that the hitch was right for you. We have all be subject to making the wrong decision and being faced with the "which way do I need to go now" question.

The Andersen hitch works very well for a truck that it was designed for on medium and light weight 5th wheel trailers.

As you know since you have been an FTE member since 2005, this is a very helpful and friendly place. Although, it is still a forum and free advice.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:23 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Unfortunately I could not find one person with a new aluminum bodied F150 that was using the Andersen hitch before purchasing. So I was the guinea pig. I hope others read this post and avoid the frustration and wasted money trying to go this route.
The Andersen hitch is perfect for 1/2 ton trucks because it's light, it's just not designed for them. I also found a guy AW Corkin on the Grand Design forum that had one in his 3/4 ton GMC. One trip and he got rid of the hitch.

I tow a 5500 lb 21' PJ gooseneck trailer with this truck and load it down with a 11k compact track loader or a load of hay or my small Deere. Total weight can be over 16k. I only take short runs with these kinds of loads but the truck handles the load great- no swaying or fishtailing or steering issue. The B&W turnover ball is in front of the axle so I have no issues. I should have put two and two together but didn't - at least for awhile.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:11 PM
backtrack2015
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Johndeerefarmer - Thanks for this posting (both here and at the GDRV forum). I think it is useful for folks who are in the research phase to understand the importance of where the pin-weight is applied as you drive down the road. Application of the pin-weight behind the axle will unload the front axle slightly under static conditions and perhaps a bit more noticably when going over bumps. This is then added to any dynamic loss of front axle load caused by the trailer tugging backwards on the truck at a point well above the drive axle during travel.

As you said, this will be more noticable with a lighter-weight truck.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:16 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by backtrack2015
Johndeerefarmer - Thanks for this posting (both here and at the GDRV forum). I think it is useful for folks who are in the research phase to understand the importance of where the pin-weight is applied as you drive down the road. Application of the pin-weight behind the axle will unload the front axle slightly under static conditions and perhaps a bit more noticably when going over bumps. This is then added to any dynamic loss of front axle load caused by the trailer tugging backwards on the truck at a point well above the drive axle during travel.

As you said, this will be more noticable with a lighter-weight truck.
As you stated there is also more to it than just the static load being placed behind the axle. Yesterday I went and got feed. I purposely stacked 1000 lbs right at the tailgate (well the bags are about 3' long so at the back 3'). I drove home and noticed no difference in how the truck handled. I would have assumed that this would have unloaded the axle and made the steering light but it didn't.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:55 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,707 Likes on 2,754 Posts
1,000 LBS of feed is still at least 500 lbs less than the pin weight of your Reflection 29rs.

Hey, were/are you on the PRC forum? I thought I recognized your user name and then I saw your signature.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:26 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by HRTKD
1,000 LBS of feed is still at least 500 lbs less than the pin weight of your Reflection 29rs.

Hey, were/are you on the PRC forum? I thought I recognized your user name and then I saw your signature.
The new 220rk has around a 1200 lb pin and it had the same issue so the feed should have been fairly close- especially being even farther back than the hitch

Yes I am on PRC, RZR forums and the General forum.

I have a Ranger for the farm, a XPT for rock crawling and a General for trail riding in Colorado.