1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Duraspark and points questions? 351 Windsor

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 01:22 AM
ford300fan
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Duraspark and points questions? 351 Windsor

Posting in a older truck thread. I'm picking up a 351 Windsor this weekend. It's a complete running engine but will be carbureted. It's a efi engine with TFI igniton I believe. From 89. But the truck it's going in won't work a TFI distributor as it sits. Originally efi but 6clyinder. I got everything I need to physically get the engine in there but having issues thinking about ignition due to limited budget.

I been doing some research and I like the idea of duraspark. But unsure on the ignition module? Can it be wired with out it? Or can something substitute it? Or can the duraspark distributor hold a points conversation kit with everything under the cap?

And if I go points. What distributor should I look for? Having trouble finding a 351 Windsor distributor using points. Would a 302 points distributor fit ?
Any information is appreciated thank u

Old 09-18-2017, 05:27 AM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by ford300fan
Posting in a older truck thread. I'm picking up a 351 Windsor this weekend. It's a complete running engine but will be carbureted. It's a efi engine with TFI igniton I believe. From 89. But the truck it's going in won't work a TFI distributor as it sits. Originally efi but 6clyinder. I got everything I need to physically get the engine in there but having issues thinking about ignition due to limited budget.

I been doing some research and I like the idea of duraspark. But unsure on the ignition module? Can it be wired with out it? Or can something substitute it? Or can the duraspark distributor hold a points conversation kit with everything under the cap?

And if I go points. What distributor should I look for? Having trouble finding a 351 Windsor distributor using points. Would a 302 points distributor fit ?
Any information is appreciated thank u
You can use an MSD box in place of the Dura Spark module with a Dura Spark distributor. It is an easy install.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:02 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,108 Likes on 1,796 Posts
Originally Posted by matthewq4b
You can use an MSD box in place of the Dura Spark module with a Dura Spark distributor. It is an easy install.
But I would think the MSD is more $$ than a stock DS box.
If you have the DS dist. then any DS box with the blue gromit would work.
They also say you can use a GM 4 pin module with some work but I don't see why when the stock box will work just fine.

If you get the box from a junk yard also get the wiring as that can be $$ to get outside the JY.

I don't know about the dist. and what will fit the 351 form others.
Dave ----

Old 09-18-2017, 11:30 AM
ford300fan
Senior User
Do they offer replacement connectors?

Old 09-18-2017, 12:29 PM
ford300fan
Senior User
Like the harness end connectors? I had planned on wiring my own engine harness. I have yet to see a duraspark truck at my local junk yards, even the salvage guy here has a bunch of Fords but newer efi.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:35 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
But I would think the MSD is more $$ than a stock DS box.
If you have the DS dist. then any DS box with the blue gromit would work.
They also say you can use a GM 4 pin module with some work but I don't see why when the stock box will work just fine.

If you get the box from a junk yard also get the wiring as that can be $$ to get outside the JY.

I don't know about the dist. and what will fit the 351 form others.
Dave ----
The only difference between the 351W and 302 Distributor is the size of the Oil pump drive.
Used MSD boxes can be found pretty cheap they have been making the things for decades now.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:55 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,108 Likes on 1,796 Posts
Like the harness end connectors? I had planned on wiring my own engine harness. I have yet to see a duraspark truck at my local junk yards, even the salvage guy here has a bunch of Fords but newer efi.
I don't think they make the ends.
What you could do is cut the ends off the box & dist and use flat 4 or square 6 M/FM trailer connectors (see Etrailer.com for the ends) and splice them on.
You can also get weather pac kits to make your own connections.
Only thing bad about doing it this way is if you have a box go bad on the road the replacement will not have the right ends on it.
Dave ----

Old 09-18-2017, 06:13 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,685 Likes on 1,361 Posts
Old 09-20-2017, 10:22 PM
ford300fan
Senior User
Ya know whats funny? Me and another tech at work was talking about distributor options since I needed a new one anyway with vacuum advance. He pulled up to the same GM hei 351w Type distributor there, same price everything having it ordered there. Great minds.
it seems like the best option for me, be less wiring, I'll have everything there and not have to hunt around parts.
​​​​​now if i can just fool the tachometer in reading v8 or hope the donor has a tach. I may get a auto meter if it doesn't and can't Fool the 6 tach.
thanks everyone
​​​​​

Old 09-21-2017, 02:36 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,685 Likes on 1,361 Posts
Ya know whats funny? Me and another tech at work was talking about distributor options since I needed a new one anyway with vacuum advance. He pulled up to the same GM hei 351w Type distributor there, same price everything having it ordered there. Great minds.
it seems like the best option for me, be less wiring, I'll have everything there and not have to hunt around parts.
​​​​​now if i can just fool the tachometer in reading v8 or hope the donor has a tach. I may get a auto meter if it doesn't and can't Fool the 6 tach.
thanks everyone
​​​​​
Do some research, I think you can change the factory tach from six to v8 with a jumper on the circuit board where the tach is mounted. Google it and see if you can find something on it.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:46 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
For people intimidated by those pesky electrons, that huge wart of an HEI is nice with the one wire. I like the Duraspark II distributor with the GM hei module. For 2 reasons, the HEI module varies dwell and none of the others do but even better, it will work well with a hot coil from an efi engine and the old blue grommet can't take the heat of the hotter coil. Probably not quite as good as an MSD but can be done on the cheap (or free) with junkyard parts. Make sure and mount the module on a heat sink and with dielectric grease or it won't live.

Attached Images  
Old 09-27-2017, 06:53 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
also, when changing from a TFI, do your homework on the distributor gear and get the right one, an older distributor might eat the gear off the cam.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:38 AM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Franklin2
Had three of them in 1 season, all crapped out, went duraspark dizzy and module 2 years ago, runs, starts perfect...

Old 09-27-2017, 07:41 AM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
There is an extra ground in the Duraspark harness that is NOT connected, with the 6 cylinder, Ground that and it reads the 8 cylinder, (thanks Gary!)

Old 09-27-2017, 06:48 PM
ford300fan
Senior User
I just got the red cap gm hei in today! It's made by asault. Freind has one in his Truck pulling w350 dodge. He seems to like it well I'm hoping to have good luck on this Ford version.

I'm pretty sure this is not a roller block? 89 F-250 351 was what I pulled it from. I can't seem to remember any differences in cam gear other than that. But engine looks great! Not gonna even touch it other than a re seal and my intake and carb. Very well taken care of internally. Running electric fuel pump

Quick Reply: Duraspark and points questions? 351 Windsor