2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Build Process

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 02:50 PM
Baldicon
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Build Process

I was wondering about the actual manufacturing process. There are three basic configurations, crew cab, super cab, and regular cab. And with each there are several different variants (short bed, long bed, dually, etc). Does the factory build crew cabs for a period of time, then regular cabs, and then super cabs? And if that is the case, do the build crew cab short beds for several days, and then crew cab long beds, and then.... etc? Or do the build them randomly mixed based on order dates and priority codes? I have ordered a super cab dually (not many around), and will I have to wait until they run a batch of them, or will it be mixed in with other configurations? This could have a major affect on how long it takes to get one built.

Old 09-17-2017, 03:25 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
If you watch the YouTube videos from inside the Kentucky plant, it appears there are no batches of certain truck models on the "assembly" line. However, I can almost bet $$$ there is batch "manufacturing" where they press the panels into shape. Takes a little time to swap out male/female dies/molds, but I'm sure they utilize LEAN principles to optimize each work center/station change-outs.

EDIT TO ADD: I was amazed to see them paint trucks different colors with what appeared to be little physical space between trucks.

Old 09-17-2017, 03:43 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Baldicon
I was wondering about the actual manufacturing process. There are three basic configurations, crew cab, super cab, and regular cab. And with each there are several different variants (short bed, long bed, dually, etc). Does the factory build crew cabs for a period of time, then regular cabs, and then super cabs? And if that is the case, do the build crew cab short beds for several days, and then crew cab long beds, and then.... etc? Or do the build them randomly mixed based on order dates and priority codes? I have ordered a super cab dually (not many around), and will I have to wait until they run a batch of them, or will it be mixed in with other configurations? This could have a major affect on how long it takes to get one built.
Nope. You will see a loaded out Platinum followed by a reg cab XL 6.2 gas 250 followed by an Expedition. It's the coolest thing I've ever seen. It's all on order dates, priority, and parts availability.

Old 09-17-2017, 03:55 PM
Baldicon
Tuned
WOW! Just watched a couple of the YouTube videos, really impressive. I was thinking the same thing about the vehicle painting. Do they offer plant tours?

Old 09-17-2017, 03:57 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

WOW! Just watched a couple of the YouTube videos, really impressive. I was thinking the same thing about the vehicle painting. Do they offer plant tours?
They don't.

Old 09-17-2017, 04:01 PM
Baldicon
Tuned
Originally Posted by UGA33
They don't.

Dang. It would be worth a drive up there. I toured the Harley Davidson plant in Pennsylvania several years ago. It was impressive, but would be small scale compared to this (no offense to anyone who works at the HD plant).

Old 09-17-2017, 04:06 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Dang. It would be worth a drive up there. I toured the Harley Davidson plant in Pennsylvania several years ago. It was impressive, but would be small scale compared to this (no offense to anyone who works at the HD plant).
Most places on Earth are small scale when it comes to KTP. Place is HUGE!

Old 09-17-2017, 04:14 PM
DSLTRK60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 425 Likes on 238 Posts
I'm just glad to see all the AMERICAN workers who collaborate to put these trucks together, and keeping money in our economy (cough, RAM, cough). Dana in Ft Wayne IN, Borg Warner in IL, Transmissions/gas engines from MI, frames from KY, stampings from KY also.

I would consider it a great privilege to go to KTP and see your actual truck built and meet the people that do it.

Old 09-17-2017, 04:15 PM
72GTS
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I dated a girl that worked in the Suburban Tahoe plant. She gave me a tour of it. Very interesting how everything goes together. There is no reason to how everything goes down the line other than how the orders come in. Best part is when they bring the body and frame come together.
I didn't get to see any sheet metal being stamped as they are done in a different place. The engines & trans & rear ends are assembled else where & shipped in as needed for production.

Old 09-17-2017, 04:25 PM
rick danger
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who was it that invented the assembly line?......I forget his name.

Old 09-17-2017, 04:33 PM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only thing they do in batches is paint. They will paint a ton of whites, then Ruby Red, then Black etc. Once painted, they are stored in a separate building connected to the factory and then called upon the build date. So the line has trucks that run a color change on each body. So you could see Red, then Blue, then White, then Red, then Black, then Blue etc.

I toured the F150 plant which was amazing and took a ton of pictures that I wasn't supposed to lol.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:25 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by DSLTRK60
I'm just glad to see all the AMERICAN workers who collaborate to put these trucks together, and keeping money in our economy (cough, RAM, cough). Dana in Ft Wayne IN, Borg Warner in IL, Transmissions/gas engines from MI, frames from KY, stampings from KY also.
Don't forget 6.7L diesel engines from (dare I say it?) Mexico. And much of what goes into a Harley is foreign made.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:28 PM
rick danger
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cficare
Don't forget 6.7L diesel engines from (dare I say it?) Mexico. And much of what goes into a Harley is foreign made.
Damn! hows my new engine gonna get over the wall?

Old 09-17-2017, 05:42 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Blwnsmoke
The only thing they do in batches is paint. They will paint a ton of whites, then Ruby Red, then Black etc. Once painted, they are stored in a separate building connected to the factory and then called upon the build date. So the line has trucks that run a color change on each body.
Fast forward to the 6:30 mark in the following video and you'll see that painting of like color is not done in batches. The 7:00 mark shows multiple colors being sprayed.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:48 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by rick danger
Damn! hows my new engine gonna get over the wall?
I recall ordering a pair of upgraded mirrors for one of my Excursions and finding they were made in Australia. That's a long boat ride.

Quick Reply: Build Process