Ford In-Vehicle Tech Discussion area for Ford Sync, Sync AppLink, MyFord Touch, Ford Supplied SiriusXM Radio, Ford Work Solutions, etc.

Sync 3 and Android Auto annoying

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 09:32 AM
Komet86
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sync 3 and Android Auto annoying

Ive had my '17 f150 with Sync 3 for 6 weeks now and I'm quite disappointed by the connectivity requirements to use Sync. Maybe it's more of an android auto issue. I'd like to hear from anyone using apple carplay if they have any issues as well.

Just an FYI : I have to use Android auto in British Columbia because it's a $400 fine if caught using my phone while driving. This app locks out my phone while connected to sync in my truck. And the phone is then accessible only through in-dash controls.

My issues:
1. Bluetooth connection only provides phone/voice connectivity

2. Plugging in the USB Sync cable gives full connectivity including phone, voice control, navigation. It doesn't seem to charge my phone. With all the stuff running on my phone to use full Sync functions it heats up and drains the battery instead of charging it while plugged in.

3. The button layout on the in-dash screen changes completey from the regular Truck screen and android auto screen. I get that android auto is compatible for many Auto makes but Sync3 software is now made by QNX, owned by BlackBerry. Their software is in a lot of new vehicles I believe. Why can't they make them all have the same layout. It's mainly the five buttons at the bottom.
Ford layout is Audio, Phone, Apps, Settings
Bluetooth connect is the same
Android Auto is Nav, Phone, Home, Audio, Return to Sync

If I exit android auto screen Sync layout is now:
Audio, Phone, Maps, Android Auto, Settings

Seems like **** Poor integration to me.

Last edited by Komet86; 09-16-2017 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-17-2017, 09:20 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
1) What else do you need Bluetooth for if the audio is playing through the USB now? Asking a real question, not sure what you're missing.

2) That's because the Android goes into a special USB mode that allows screen mirroring (or at least, the Android can output video over the USB link) - in this mode, charging is not possible.

3) Whatever is one the screen when using Android Auto is dictated by the Android. I don't think those buttons are controlled by Sync.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:53 AM
Komet86
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Krewat
1) What else do you need Bluetooth for if the audio is playing through the USB now? Asking a real question, not sure what you're missing.

2) That's because the Android goes into a special USB mode that allows screen mirroring (or at least, the Android can output video over the USB link) - in this mode, charging is not possible.

3) Whatever is one the screen when using Android Auto is dictated by the Android. I don't think those buttons are controlled by Sync.

1. Audio from my phone is not available with Bluetooth. Just phone calls. If I want music from my phone to play I have to hook it up as an ipod/ media only device.

2. I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

3. I am curious how apple carplay looks. Did Ford have Sync made to match apple and not android or does it not match either? But as I stated earlier it changes even when I have my phone plugged in and I exit Android Auto on my phone the buttons are still rearranged.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:01 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
1) Load up Google Play (install it if it isn't already) - it can play stuff off the phone, off the Internet if you subscribe to it, etc. (I do subscribe to unlimited Google Play music - it's interesting to say "play whatever" and it actually does)

can't help any more with 3 - like I said, those buttons are mirrored off the Android - it's whatever Android Auto wants to display there.