2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Right side mirror glass shakes - any fixes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 11:45 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Right side mirror glass shakes - any fixes?

It's really only bothersome at night so far and that's because it makes headlights behind me flicker sometimes.
I took it to the dealer and the bodyshop manager agreed that something is wrong and was going to order a new mirror - until - we checked another truck, then another and another - checking almost a dozen other new trucks from 2016-17 and even a 2018 Raptor we found that they ALL did it! Some even worse than mine!!
He is going to enter something in the technical notes or something like that to register the complaint and will get back to me.
He said that given the design of the gymbal inside, it will only get worse as time goes on.
Meanwhile, if you have a fix, please post it here.
If you have the same problem - I would suggest that you contact your dealer and register a complaint.
The movement is radial, not up and down or side to side. Adjusting the mirror to its extremes makes no difference. The movement is in the glass only.
Oh - and thr trucks with BLIS seemed to have less of a problem, but was still there.

Attached Images  
Old 09-14-2017, 03:06 PM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
If there is a way to remove just the mirror itself from the housing, you could try putting a pice of closed cell foam back there to dampen the vibration.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:59 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Yeah, I might wedge something between the glass and the housing. The bodyshop manager told me that the glass isn't made to be removeable and the times that they have removed it, half the time the "fingers" that wrap around the gymbal will break and now you have to order a whole mirror.
He's got no problem in ordering the mirror to replace mine, however if all of them have the problem, the replacement mirror would also.. So, I am right back to where I started..

Old 09-14-2017, 06:33 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 215 Likes on 181 Posts
When I put my hands on the mirror, it is obviously "loose". However, mine does not vibrate.

I'm thinking you could take the assembly apart, and put thick rubber bands around the attachment points to reduce the looseness.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:23 PM
MikeDVB
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both of mine do this.

A friend has a 2013 and they were rock solid. She hit a garage door side with one and replaced it and it was loose like mine. I disassembled it fully and found play in the motor mechanism itself. The old one - which had a broken mount for the glass - was solid while the new had play in it.

Honestly I doubt you’ll get rid of it entirely. My truck has tow mirrors and the bottom manual mirrors are solid while the power ones are ... “loose” and shake.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:42 PM
CR172
Fleet Mechanic
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
The passenger side mirror of my old truck shook. When I got this truck that was one of the first things I checked. And after seeing this thread I've kept an eye on the mirrors. Mine seem to be solid on both sides.

? for the OP. Are your mirrors power fold?

Old 09-15-2017, 05:52 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
About the only things my mirrors have hit were bugs and air... Only 800 miles on it so far.

The mirrors have the LED Spot light option but are not power folding.

Again - all the trucks we checked on the lot (new trucks) had loose right side mirrors.
I was just hoping that someone had some success with a dealer fixing it and what they did..

Old 09-15-2017, 05:55 PM
storage_man
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a set of Trailer Tow mirrors on my 2018, and they do not rattle or move. Both the top (Std Mirror - Powered), and the bottom (convex - Non-powered) are solid.

It could be that HP engine causes them to loosen up

Old 09-15-2017, 09:05 PM
MikeDVB
Senior User
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
About the only things my mirrors have hit were bugs and air... Only 800 miles on it so far.

The mirrors have the LED Spot light option but are not power folding.

Again - all the trucks we checked on the lot (new trucks) had loose right side mirrors.
I was just hoping that someone had some success with a dealer fixing it and what they did..
I wasn't implying that you had hit anything. I haven't either - but mine are loose.

The point was simply that even a *brand new* motor was loose while the old one was solid. It's actually the motor box that has the looseness in it. If you pop the mirror off - you can see it more clearly [but I don't suggest doing that, there's always the chance you break something - it's held on by plastic clips].

Old 09-15-2017, 09:51 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Thanks Mike.. I misunderstood...

Old 09-15-2017, 11:00 PM
MikeDVB
Senior User
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Thanks Mike.. I misunderstood...
No problem at all.

I wish I could swap my motors out for ones that didn't have this free play in them - but all of the *new* parts at the dealer I got my hands on were the same or worse in looseness.

Old 01-05-2021, 08:53 PM
whalesalad
New User
Hey y’all,

Just wanted to chime in here. I’m having the same issue on a 2020 Lariat with my drivers side BLIS mirror.

The internal motor was replaced once and it seemed to help for a while. Now the problem has returned. Unfortunately I think I burned a bridge at that dealership so I’m trying a different one Thursday to fix it again.

One thing I’ve noticed is the spring actuated elbow on my mirrors feels a little loose. I think it could be tighter. Certain bumps cause the mirror to bounce at the joint/elbow as well as the glass itself.

I have the same phenomenon. Glass is pretty sturdy fore and aft but has lots of rotation. Combined with the 20” wheels and stiff ride of this truck and the mirror shakes constantly and does not have a clear image like the right mirror.

Of course my wife doesn’t notice it, but it drives me bananas.

I do tend to think the issue is related to the male/female connection to the motor itself. The teeth seem to not grip super well as far as depth towards the center of the mirror. My mind goes to removing the mirror and applying felt or foam tape inside the center so that there is a wedge that will reduce the tolerance for those teeth.

My apprehension though is that chances are these teeth only have so much give before they snap or start to lose their grip from repeated removals. My spider sense thinks the first repair might even be partly why there is play in here now.

I’ll do anything to solve this issue including downgrading to a lighter weight base model mirror or getting tow mirrors.

Anyone have any updates?

Old 01-05-2021, 10:25 PM
JKBrad
Welcome to FTE whalesalad,

Try manually folding your mirrors back, then using the power fold switch, toggle them to fold in until the mirrors are caught, then fold them back out. I had this problem on my Super Duty once and that did the trick, as the mirror was locked in place. That procedure rests them. You won’t hurt them, they are designed to do this. The problem usually happens when someone bumps the mirror enough to unlock it, but not enough to fold it.

Old 01-05-2021, 11:02 PM
KJ Smith
Laughing Gas
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
Is it just me , or does there seem to be a lot of Necro posting lately?

Old 01-05-2021, 11:33 PM
JKBrad
It’s the Google search that brings them here. I don’t have a problem with it except when someone asks a question to a user who is no longer active.

Quick Reply: Right side mirror glass shakes - any fixes?