1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Wanting to replace the back glass seal. I think

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 11:38 AM
NashvegasMatt
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wanting to replace the back glass seal. I think

So I've been dealing with it since I have owned the truck and it only really becomes any sort of a noticeable issue when it rains. The back glass leaks from the top down onto the rubber seal and obviously down the back of the inside of the cab which I'm sure is not helping any sort of future rust issues. I don't mind getting in there and doing it myself but before I tackle a project like this I just wanted to hear from some of those you may have done it on their experience with replacing the seal on the back window and if there's anything that I should avoid. 72' ranger.. solid window

Old 09-11-2017, 02:03 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not a hard job. Use a good razor knife to cut the rubber enough(outside) for the glass to be removed. The glass sits in a channel of rubber and if you cut the bottom of the channel loose the glass will fall out easily.

Put the new rubber on the glass, use lots of WD40 or PB to lubricate the channel and slip a piece of small diameter rope around the channel. Get a helper that can hold the glass against the rear of the cab as you sit inside and carefully pull the rope around. Making sure the rubber lip comes over the pinch of the cab window opening. Keep pushing in on window and work around slowly. Might take a couple tries, but it will slip into place.

I've typically only replaced solid glass with a slider, but it all works the same.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:13 AM
MIKES 68 F100
Logistics Pro
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
i always use a mixture of dish soap and water for seal , it won't wreak the rubber .
and leaves no slimy mess .

Old 09-12-2017, 01:45 PM
TeachNlive4ever
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It's a cake walk.
You ask a question and get a poop ton of answers.
I use 5/16 cord ( rope not twine) lube up the body groove with Vaseline, two ends of the cord at the top of the glass. Pull the cord JUST hard enough to get the rubber to come to the inside of the cab. On the corners, slow down. By now you think you're comfortable to keep going. Slow down and WORK the cord around the corner to manipulate the seal into the cab. The Vaseline acts like a hydrolic sealant. 20 years and mine hasn't leaked a drop.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:57 PM
NashvegasMatt
More Turbo
Originally Posted by TeachNlive4ever
It's a cake walk.
You ask a question and get a poop ton of answers.
I use 5/16 cord ( rope not twine) lube up the body groove with Vaseline, two ends of the cord at the top of the glass. Pull the cord JUST hard enough to get the rubber to come to the inside of the cab. On the corners, slow down. By now you think you're comfortable to keep going. Slow down and WORK the cord around the corner to manipulate the seal into the cab. The Vaseline acts like a hydrolic sealant. 20 years and mine hasn't leaked a drop.

sounds easy enough. Now for a Sunny day

Old 09-12-2017, 02:18 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Applying some if this will ensure a leak - free seal.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3194048&rt=rud

It never hardens and stays tacky/pliable.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:20 PM
qman
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TeachNlive4ever
I use 5/16 cord ( rope not twine) lube up the body groove with Vaseline
I guess a fella uses what he uses most.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:07 AM
farmallmta
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by qman
I guess a fella uses what he uses most.
Probably handy on date night, too: "now I know OCD folks make unrelated gestures prior to a particular action, but I assure you, wiping my finger around the back glass seal is relevant to the issue at hand, darlin'."

Old 09-15-2017, 09:28 AM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MIKES 68 F100
i always use a mixture of dish soap and water for seal , it won't wreak the rubber .
and leaves no slimy mess .
Mike, I was talking with one of the guys at SafeLite about what we used back in the day.

His reply was we don't use any soapy water due to possible causing rust.

I see where it could be a problem in the colder climates when installing with a rope.

Orich

Old 02-24-2018, 11:49 AM
NashvegasMatt
More Turbo
Got the seal in from DC today. Seems to be fairly good quality, but what do I know.....anyway. Probably gonna tackle this Monday if the weather holds. Seeing as how I haven’t done this before, is there anything I need to know about the chrome trim removal and reinstallation? Also, where does the moulded seam in the rubber go? On the middle top or middle bottom? My current is at the top and ironically exactly where the leak is. Oh yea. Why do some say use glass sealer and some say don’t? And lastly, the glass sealer goes between the glass and the rubber correct? Not the rubber and the truck

Old 02-24-2018, 12:50 PM
Brian1971f100
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real easy job. Put the new gasket on the glass, Use a small rope in the groove, Set the bottom in place and slowly work the rope around the glass. The rope will pull the gasket into place.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:56 PM
lilorbie
Laughing Gas
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
when i replaced the rubber on my 67 .i put the molded joint at the bottom. just in case. thankfully my truck does not have the trim in the rubber. but i have the stainless trim on the windshield. i would also use soapy water. not wd 40,p.b.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:33 PM
Thipdar
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NashvegasMatt
Seeing as how I haven’t done this before, is there anything I need to know about the chrome trim removal and reinstallation?
Put the glass into the gasket, then put the trim into the rubber gasket before you put the glass into the frame.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:54 AM
NashvegasMatt
More Turbo
Originally Posted by ultraranger
Applying some if this will ensure a leak - free seal.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3194048&rt=rud

It never hardens and stays tacky/pliable.
none of the local auto shops have this, is there a more readily available product that I can use

Old 02-27-2018, 01:04 PM
meangreen92
Logistics Pro
Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by NashvegasMatt

none of the local auto shops have this, is there a more readily available product that I can use
Linky no worky, but I used 3M 08509 on mine. Nobody had it in stock locally that I found either, but O'Reilly's had one in like Indianapolis, so I had them get it shipped to them.

You'll need a caulk gun to apply it, but its the best stuff for this. The stuff they use on modern automotive glass isn't what you want, but all of the stores have it...

Quick Reply: Wanting to replace the back glass seal. I think