6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Motor Oil Type

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 05:16 PM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for posting the note concerning T-6. Lots of controversy on the 7.3 side, and 6.7 regarding oils this year. Seems some oils composition changed due to emissions requirements. Wondering if my old favorite Mobil Delvac 5-40 will be approved.
On the oil note, seems 6.0 folks are more comfortable with oil supplements? I am researching some "fixes" for an 05 F450, runs like crap cold and surges on acceleration. A lot more to the story, but starting with some simple stuff. A little more than 100K on it, an ambulance, so lots of erratic driving and idling.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:58 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by trekbasso
Thanks for posting the note concerning T-6. Lots of controversy on the 7.3 side, and 6.7 regarding oils this year. Seems some oils composition changed due to emissions requirements. Wondering if my old favorite Mobil Delvac 5-40 will be approved.
On the oil note, seems 6.0 folks are more comfortable with oil supplements? I am researching some "fixes" for an 05 F450, runs like crap cold and surges on acceleration. A lot more to the story, but starting with some simple stuff. A little more than 100K on it, an ambulance, so lots of erratic driving and idling.
Start a new thread, I'm sure we can figure something out with that. Sounds like a case of stiction to me initially and some other minor issues.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:46 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Thanks Mike. I will probably wait until I do more research. Planning on getting an AE soon, more for my 7.3 but will help with this also. Reading two different forums is like a different language, so will take me some time to get used to what makes 6.0s tick.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:55 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by jh818
Rats! I just got a reply from Chevron and they said that the new Delo 400 SDE CK-4/SN does not meet Ford's specifications WSS-M2C171-F1 for diesel oil. So far only their CJ-4 is approved.
Correct, oddly enough both my trucks despise Rotella oils, but prefer Mobil 1 5w40, anything Delo (5w40 or 15w40), and Schaeffers oil.

When in doubt, just buy Motorcraft oil. It's what I've been doing for my 7.3 Excursion seeing as stores are out of the good CJ-4 Delo.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:22 PM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
So, this stuff really is confusing. Looking over the list (Ford approved), the 0-40 Mobil Delvac is okay, but the 5-40 isnt, yet. I say yet because 3-4 months ago Rotella T6 wasn't good, now it is.
Any thoughts using Valvoline Premium Extreme 5-40? Approved, available at a reasonable price, anybody used it?

Thanks.

Old 09-17-2017, 06:49 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
So, this stuff really is confusing. Looking over the list (Ford approved), the 0-40 Mobil Delvac is okay, but the 5-40 isnt, yet. I say yet because 3-4 months ago Rotella T6 wasn't good, now it is.
Any thoughts using Valvoline Premium Extreme 5-40? Approved, available at a reasonable price, anybody used it?

Thanks.
I tried to buy some Valvoline 5w 40 a ways back when it was on a good sale at Napa, but what came in was their CJ stuff and I already have a ton of flavors of CJ, so I rejected it. I've been hearing the CK is now mostly what you'll find and I personally would give the approved CK Valvoline 5W 40 a try...

Oil war, indeed....! This is not even close to one - an honest question in a time of change and honest answers given...

One of the things I like about FTE...

Old 09-22-2017, 10:38 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Well, decided on Delo 400LE 5w-40, jug says CJ4. Tried to order from Amazon, plenty in stock but wouldn't ship until Nov?? Walmart will have it here tomorrow. Have Motorcraft filter, cap, and 16oz of Archoil. Hopefully by Monday will know something, although I am sure it might take some time to fully appreciate the change. Weather getting colder quick, so I know the oil will help. Thanks.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:38 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Well, decided on Delo 400LE 5w-40, jug says CJ4. Tried to order from Amazon, plenty in stock but wouldn't ship until Nov?? Walmart will have it here tomorrow. Have Motorcraft filter, cap, and 16oz of Archoil. Hopefully by Monday will know something, although I am sure it might take some time to fully appreciate the change. Weather getting colder quick, so I know the oil will help. Thanks.
It's a good oil/choice. If I was not able to get my hands on Schaeffers it's the next one on my list and have ran it in the past.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:33 PM
TxMav
Tuned
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
That's what I'm running and I like it (translation: truck loves it). I'll run it till they stop selling it.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:25 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Arrgg. Frustrated. Wally said Sat delivery, Fed Ex said Monday, but also said on truck for delivery since Sat 6:03am. Knew I should have bit the bullet Thur and driven down to pick up, but a 2 hour round trip so put my faith in the process. Not again! Still waiting.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:58 AM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Name:  0910171641.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  1.85 MB

Well, went ahead and got 2 cases (6/1 gal. jugs each case) at Sams Club for $54.81 each. They were on sale until Oct. 4 or something like that. I'll be good for 3 oil changes. This one was on Ford's approved list.

Outside temperatures have been cooler lately and I noticed at start up, the truck doesn't idle as smooth. Once warmed up for a minute it idles smooth. Should I go with the 5W-40 when it is colder out? Right now I have Motorcraft 15W-40 oil in there.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:53 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Doesn't get that cold in Chino. You probably have a mild case of stiction.
Get some Archoil AR 9100 and add to the next oil change. I would run 15W40 year round living where you do, especially in the summer.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:49 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
I finally got my oil. Geez. Delivered Monday, took until yesterday for the delivery to show up online.
Good thing, it is CJ-4, and in the truck, so now to try to put a few miles on it. Glad I had read about the filter issue. I went with Motorcraft, and although it had a short cap, it was different inside. I bought a new cap with the filter.
Now to go buy some Delo for my 7.3. I will go to the store!

Old 09-28-2017, 10:34 AM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
I finally got my oil. Geez. Delivered Monday, took until yesterday for the delivery to show up online.
Good thing, it is CJ-4, and in the truck, so now to try to put a few miles on it. Glad I had read about the filter issue. I went with Motorcraft, and although it had a short cap, it was different inside. I bought a new cap with the filter.
Now to go buy some Delo for my 7.3. I will go to the store!
I've had similar issues with WM and their delivery and even store p/u. I answered one of their survey requests and told them they were a world away from Amazon (they are my #1 go-to these days).

The CJ Delo 5w 40 is good stuff - even put it in my FJR and it loves the stuff!

Scott

Old 09-28-2017, 04:27 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
How is this for mud in the water when it comes to what oil to use.

Shell Rotella releases oil approved for both diesel and gas engines

T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W-30 full synthetic meets the API CK-4 specification for diesel engines and the API SN specification for gasoline engines.

Vesna Brajkovic
Shell Lubricants recently released Shell Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W-30, a full synthetic oil which meets the API CK-4 specification for diesel engines and the API SN specification for gasoline engines.
“With Shell Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W-30, it is now possible for hard working fleets or businesses that run diesel and gasoline powered engines to carry a single oil that offers numerous benefits,” said Megan Pino, Shell Rotella global brand manager. “The full synthetic oil has been engineered to provide protection under the most severe engine conditions for both diesel and gasoline engines.”
A Shift To Mixed Fleet Operations
This oil is especially designed for fleets with a mixed operation in mind, so that facilities maintaining anything from vans to Class 8 heavy duty trucks only need to keep track of one oil for their entire fleet.
A mixed fleet like this, with one maintenance facility servicing different vehicle classes, is not the most common, as some would argue it adds complexity to maintenance practices. However, with the fleet landscape changing due to technology and shipping trends, Shell Lubricants' heavy duty engine oil brand manager, Chris Guerreo, speculates that the number of those types of fleets might increase.
"When you talk about the impact of a digital economy, you look at the way things have run versus how they could potentially go," Guerro said. "It [fleet and shipping operations] used to be pretty easy, because you'd go from a port to a big truck, then typically to a warehouse, and then from a warehouse to a store. What we're starting to see, especially with Google, you'll see goods being shipped from a port to a warehouse, but then two things happening. One is warehouse to sub-warehouse, where you can then do smaller runs into an urban area, or, two, warehouse to front door, which is direct delivery. So now you're looking at a new vehicle park. We're seeing it in China, we're seeing it in Europe, and you start to see things like that in North America as well."
"Do I think ... you're going to see an increasing number of light commercial vehicles? I think you will." Guerreo said.
He noted that he thinks this shift will be in part because of the challenge of finding drivers willing to drive long haul, or with the right qualifications.
Testing And Specifications
Shell Rotela T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W-30 has been tested in standard industry engine tests and provides performance across API CK-4 and OEM tests.
According to Jason Brown, Shell Lubricants global technology manager, the oil features a "Triple Protection Technology," a combination of performance additives for anti-wear and anti-oxidation, as well as deposit control for diesel engines and improved fuel economy.
For example, the oil demonstrated strong oxidation resistance in a new Volvo T-13 oxidation test, controlling acid build up, preventing oil thickening and exceeding the API CK-4 limits for oxidation.Tests also show that T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W-30 has better cold cranking properties and low temperature pumpability at -30 degrees C and -35 degree C respectively.
T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W-30 also exceeds the requirements of the API SN performance category and can be used in gasoline engines recommending a 5W-30 viscosity grade.
"When we did this development plan ... we actually developed two of these W-30's at the same time," Guerreo explains. "We developed low phos [phosphorus] and a high phos, because we didn't know what we'd see in the wear testing. We wanted to see real-world performance.
"Shell Rotella has been been focused on the heavy duty side, first and foremost, so we said from Day one: 'We're going to spend the money and we're going to build two.' If the 800 pmm one doesn't do what we think it will do, then we're not going to launch. We're not going to sacrifice the ability on the heavy duty side just to meet a chemical limit to cover PCMo. So the challenge that we put to the technical team was: 'Show me you can do it. Show me you can build me something that's at an 800 max ppm phos, with different kind of wear technology, that stands toe-to-toe with the 5W-30 at the higher limit, and the 15W-40.' They did that. So, somewhere on the shelf, in a file cabinet, there is a higher phos version of this that we don't need now because this fit it. So, the view was, if you can do it, why wouldn't you do it? It makes life easier for those operations that we have that do run mixed fleets."
T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W-30 meets a number of diesel and gas engine specifications including:

API CK-4
API SN
ACEA E6
MB-Approval 228.51
JASO DH-2
Cummins CES 20086
Volvo VDS-4.5
Detroit Fluid Specification (DFS) 93K222
Mack EOS-4.5
Caterpillar ECF-2/ECF-3

The link where you can find the article.

https://www.vehicleservicepros.com/o...994C1473078H5W

Quick Reply: Motor Oil Type