1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Running Board to Rear Fender Gap, 50 F1

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 08:31 AM
fiftford
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running Board to Rear Fender Gap, 50 F1

My 50 F1 has always had this gap between the rear fenders and running boards. I haven't noticed a gap on any other 48-52 truck that I've seen, and it's way too wide to fill with fender welting or similar. Any ideas why I have the gap or suggestions to eliminate it? I searched other threads and didn't see anything similar for a non-panel. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Attached Images   
Old 09-10-2017, 09:25 AM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Need more pic how is the gap at the bed/cab. Pic at the rear of the fenders/bed.
Are both fenders and RB gapped the same? Have the fenders been bent?

Old 09-10-2017, 09:33 AM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Check other alignments first

Check other fitments first for fenders, bed , etc as stated. Once that is done....

I had to metal work that area of the runningboards anyway so I changed the contour slightly to make for a better fit

Old 09-10-2017, 09:43 AM
schoo
Logistics Pro
How's your fit here

I have about 3/8" at the back of the cab

The stock bed had rubber bumpers at the cab/bed

Old 09-10-2017, 10:02 AM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Looks in the first pic at the intersection of the fender/bed/RB the fit is close? Or is the angle of the pic make it look that way

Old 09-10-2017, 12:04 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
How tight are they to the back not the front bumpers? 53 to 56 trucks have a thick rubber washer between the back of the front fenders and the front of the running boards. Did 48 to 52 trucks have this and if so does yours?

Old 09-10-2017, 01:45 PM
fiftford
5th Wheeling
Add'l Pics

Thanks for the responses. Hers are some more pics of fitment at cab/bed and fenders to rear of truck. The rear bumper isn't re-installed yet but you can see the rear of fender to stake pocket. I don't have pics of the front because the doghouse is off (just installed MII front end), but the fit was tight in front.

The 48-52's didn't have a bushing like the 53-56's, at least not to my knowledge or based on other trucks I've seen. The gap at the bed/fender is pretty tight but gets wider as it goes towards the outside.

As you can see in one of the pics I picked up some new running boards since my pass side is dented by they measure identical to the ones on the truck now, so they'll fix the dent but not the gap. Hope the extra pics help.

Attached Images     
Old 09-10-2017, 01:59 PM
fiftford
5th Wheeling
Pass Side

Here are some pics of the pass side. Gaps pretty consistent on both sides...

Attached Images     
Old 09-10-2017, 02:15 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
that last pic the RB is damaged so I would fix that. looks to me that the fender is correct on the bed, is there filler(bondo) at the outer edge of the fender where the fender bolts to the RB? if not I might try a clamp to pull it together slowly keep the clamp low were you won't see any damage. also maybe loosen the nuts that hold the fenders on the bed and the nuts that hold the RB

Old 09-10-2017, 02:27 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
on your truck the rt side looks better than the lt I don't have a good pic of mine during assembly but I think they were similar to what you have on the rt side

If I remember correctly I have about 3/16 gap at the outer edge and the welting is filling that

Old 09-10-2017, 02:40 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
yes I used some glue to hold the outer ends of the welt both front and rear held with spring clamps or clothes pins until glue set

Old 09-10-2017, 06:03 PM
fiftford
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by schoo
that last pic the RB is damaged so I would fix that. looks to me that the fender is correct on the bed, is there filler(bondo) at the outer edge of the fender where the fender bolts to the RB? if not I might try a clamp to pull it together slowly keep the clamp low were you won't see any damage. also maybe loosen the nuts that hold the fenders on the bed and the nuts that hold the RB
No, there is no filler on the fenders. I have new running boards to replaced the current ones because the pass side is damaged, but the drivers side is straight. Thanks for the suggestion to try the clamps. I have a set of heavy duty clamps that may help bring the fenders in line better. I'll just have to be careful to use rags or pads so i don't damage the paint.

The fender welting in your picture looks more like silicone. The welting I have looks more like gasket material. Where did you get yours? Thanks

Old 09-10-2017, 09:56 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
It looks like the fenders roll back under on the front bottom? The lower 6" or so should be perfectly vertical.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:49 PM
fiftford
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
It looks like the fenders roll back under on the front bottom? The lower 6" or so should be perfectly vertical.
They do seem to slightly. They've been on the truck since I owned it- around 30 years now- and never been hit that I know of. The gap was like that when I bought it and it never bothered me when it was my hay hauler but now that I'm fixing it up a little I'd like to close it up a little.

Here is another view from the side and a little further away.

Attached Images   
Old 09-11-2017, 01:24 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
I'd say the front lowers are pulled back quite a bit, enough to make that gap. Is there evidence of a patch on there? Here's mine

Quick Reply: Running Board to Rear Fender Gap, 50 F1