1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Hi from a noob!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 08:35 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gary do you have any idea what the car is in the background of your first pic?

Old 09-04-2017, 10:34 PM
GJPilcher
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys thank you so much for the warm welcome and tips and hints - I appreciate you all even more than I did already! I will take every bit of advice!!

Today, my buddy came by and we ran through a little "inventory" and also the dreaded "how the heck are we going to get two trucks back to Utah" conversation. The latter seems to be leaning towards a UHaul 26ft box truck, but is expensive. There's another option of borrowing one of my friends pick-ups and renting a trailer, but right now, I am waiting for the 16th Sept and I'll decide the night before haha!

Inventory is as follows (so far, I'm sure this inventory will change)

1956 F100, complete truck in pieces, solid, no rust, original to the truck Y block 272 V8 with 3-on-the-tree. My buddy has gone through the motor, and believes it to be great (He's a bestie, I believe him) Spare drivers door, all glass present, spare rear fender that can replace the factory spare wheel recess one if I want. All trim, badges, grille, headlights, wheels, suspension etc is there and in good shape. Frame good. Not sure about tailgate. Interior needs work but what 60yr old vehicle interior doesn't? All in all a complete package that's been taken apart for me already.

1954 F100. Body good. Fenders might be swiss cheese, can't remember. Glass and doors good. Interior trashed. Hood missing. Tailgate junk. No engine or transmission. Frame either bent or the springs collapsed can't remember.

So it appears a good project and some spares are what I am getting and in all honesty, I'm paying pennies, he's my friend, and it makes the deal super sweet regardless.

The only thing that makes me groan a little is the journey to get them. But, that's all part of the adventure of old cars in my book - they have soul, and a story, and their final resting place is important in its story - it's far but in the grand scheme of things, it's close.

I am very excited to get started!

Old 09-04-2017, 10:44 PM
GJPilcher
Senior User
Originally Posted by 49f3dls
Gary do you have any idea what the car is in the background of your first pic?
Yeah it's a '53 Packard!

Old 09-05-2017, 06:04 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 796 Likes on 393 Posts
Welcome Gary. I look forward to watching your progress.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. I've asked enough for everyone. It's better to ask a stupid question than mess up something expensive. It's also good to search old threads for info. Lots of great info here.

I would also highly suggest this book.
https://www.hipoparts.com/1948-56-fo...ts-catalog-cd/
With the condition of your trucks, I think this book is required.

Take lots of pictures and share them.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:02 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
Gary, this forum does not flame guys who ask "stupid" questions. The only stupid question is the one not asked! Everyone here is very nice and helpful. We all have different backgrounds and knowledge and experience. We were all noobs at one time, right. So ask any and all questions.
Abe, is right but one caveat is that we need pictures in able to give you the best help.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:30 PM
GJPilcher
Senior User
Originally Posted by petemcl
Abe, is right but one caveat is that we need pictures in able to give you the best help.
Thanks guys. Ill be as descriptive as I can. I even do the occasional video if its a bit too technical.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:53 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good luck with it all, the adventure begins with the pick up of the trucks and parts. That should be quite a trip! Sounds like the '56 is the one to build since it has all the parts and a frame that isn't bent. There are lots of aftermarket parts for both, the 56's are more desirable to most because of the refinements like the curved windshield and dash etc. Either or both will be lots of fun work to do! Keep us up to date with pictures!

Old 09-05-2017, 10:53 PM
GJPilcher
Senior User
Thank you everyone! I have a question then...should I start a new thread when it comes to going to get my trucks and keep updating that? Like a build thread? Or should I post it in this thread? What would you guys prefer?

Old 09-05-2017, 10:57 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 565 Likes on 367 Posts
It's really up to you. I'd thing going to get them would work fine on this post. Then open build threads when you start to work. Also when you ask questions use separate posts so they are seen by more members.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:01 PM
GJPilcher
Senior User
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
It's really up to you. I'd thing going to get them would work fine on this post. Then open build threads when you start to work. Also when you ask questions use separate posts so they are seen by more members.
Got it! Thanks loads!!

Old 09-09-2017, 11:53 PM
GJPilcher
Senior User
Quick update: I have the option of borrowing a Chev truck or a Ford Power Stroke Diesel to go get my F100's on 16th Sept - I chose the Power Stroke :-) I have some great friends to help and all I need now is a larger trailer! One week to go!!!

Old 09-10-2017, 12:18 AM
edzakory
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FTE. The talent on this site is beyond words. It looks like you will be busy for a while. Incremental accomplishments will keep you energized. Of course I am partial to the '56. There is not much difference; you should have fun with either.

Old 09-10-2017, 12:21 AM
GJPilcher
Senior User
Originally Posted by edzakory
Welcome to FTE. The talent on this site is beyond words. It looks like you will be busy for a while. Incremental accomplishments will keep you energized. Of course I am partial to the '56. There is not much difference; you should have fun with either.
Thank you edzakory - I appreciate the welcome! I love those wrap-around windows and the dog leg on the doors so I am leaning towards the '56

If that is your truck in your signature - that's a real beauty!!!

Old 09-10-2017, 09:40 AM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Road trip

Originally Posted by GJPilcher
Quick update: I have the option of borrowing a Chev truck or a Ford Power Stroke Diesel to go get my F100's on 16th Sept - I chose the Power Stroke :-) I have some great friends to help and all I need now is a larger trailer! One week to go!!!
Good choice on the truck for hauling, now remember to drive on the right side of the road!

That is going to be some load of parts for sure.

Enjoy the ride.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:58 PM
GJPilcher
Senior User
Originally Posted by tip49
Good choice on the truck for hauling, now remember to drive on the right side of the road!

That is going to be some load of parts for sure.

Enjoy the ride.
Thank you!!! I'll post some updates on Friday.

Quick Reply: Hi from a noob!