Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Only me would overfill trans fluid - how do remove some?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 06:04 PM
justplumducky
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only me would overfill trans fluid - how do remove some?

94 F-250 5.8L GAS XL, 3-speed auto transmission w/overdrive

Not so justplumducky at the moment. What's the least expensive method to remove excess transmission fluid.

Maybe just loosen up the pan bolts while on slight slope?

A while back, I attached a clear tube somewhere in order to remove old fluid into a 5-gal bucket I believe, possibly while filling with new fluid, but can't remember exactly how I did that. Actually, I'm not even sure it was my truck I did that with. I'll begin a search on here and the Net in general. Already did a Forum Search thing.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:10 PM
weskan
Senior User
I used a vacuum hose down the dipstick tube and a vacuum pump. Just mark the hose with tape using the dipstick itself. Start the engine and pull off the excess.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:38 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,159 Likes on 2,203 Posts
depends on how much it is overfull.
i usually disconnect a line at the cooler and pump a little out if i get one in that is overfull.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:35 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
depends on how much it is overfull.
i usually disconnect a line at the cooler and pump a little out if i get one in that is overfull.
This. Fastest and easiest way to do it and you can save the fluid for later reuse if you'd like. Assuming you put it in a clean container of course.

Old 09-03-2017, 01:25 PM
jtmalott
Senior User
A good way to suck it out is to build a nice vacuum tool that has many uses. I've used mine to bleed brakes, suck up fluid, and I've also pulled the fluid out of a hydraulic clutch (master and slave cylinders)

What you will need:

Poly tubing and a handful of barb fittings that fits the tubing. Get a variety of sizes and tees, you never know what size tube you will need.

A large mouth quart mason jar.

Caulk/RTV or some bulkhead fittings

A drill and index of bits, or a punch and hammer.

How to Build:
punch or drill 2 holes in the lid of the mason jar. Just clamp it down to a 2x4 so you can punch through it without damaging anything. If you use bulkhead fittings, you can attach your hoses to them. Install the bulkhead fittings on the lid, and attach tubing.

If you are not using bulkhead fittings, you can simply RTV the hose to the lid penetrations.

T​​​​ake 1 tube and insert it through one of the holes. Measure it to set the hose all the way to the bottom of the jar.
Put another tube in the other hole, but set it just an inch past the lid.

Install barb fittings on the tubing that is outside of the jar so you can add more tubing if needed.

How to use:
tee into a vacuum line in the engine compartment using the line that draws off the top of the jar. Use the other line that goes into the bottom of the jar as the hose you are using to suck stuff with. With the depth the jar, you have almost a quart capacity before you must dump the jar to use again.

Having the tube go deep prevents fluid transfer to the tube sucking off the top, and you can gang multiple jars for more fluid capacity.

This is a useful tool to suck up excess fluid, or to even bleed your brakes. It's got many uses!

Old 09-03-2017, 08:10 PM
wtroger
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Dollar store turkey baster a piece of appropriate clear tubing.