General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.
View Poll Results: How did Apoc react?
Perfectly, his mother is VERY important and should be protected from Dip****!!!
25.00%
Meh, he did alright I guess. The husband is still a putz though.
25.00%
Terribly, Apoc is the worst son EVER! (Husband is still as smart as a dumb orangutan though)
25.00%
I don't agree/disagree but I think Apoc made some good points.
25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Did I go too far?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 11:59 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Did I go too far?

So my mother and her dip**** new husband live in Katy Texas, right outside of Houston. Everything was alright a few days ago, but then it started to get bad the last day or so. Yesterday dip**** posts a video of them walking through the streets in 10 inch deep water spouting scripture about how the real treasures are in Heaven and not to cling to things here to make a facebook video. Wife sees the video and texts me (I was out of the house) and I see I have a few texts besides hers. My mother made a group text with me, my wife, my aunt and grandmother plus 2 numbers I didn't know saying to check out dip****s facebook to see the video. I go off and say this:

She calls me afterwards and tells me how great dip**** is and how he would always keep her safe. I tell her sewers are overflowing and she's going to end up with a disease. 20 minutes later I've apologized a dozen times about her 2 friends seeing what I wrote. I don't feel any remorse as I feel I did something acceptable, dip**** is a dip**** and should be treated like one.

Please tell me what you think as I honestly don't know how I should have reacted.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:25 PM
Don Naslund
Laughing Gas
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
I have learned that you cant question another persons faith. All you can do is provide support for your mother.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:28 PM
Mrs_Apocalypse
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Don Naslund
I have learned that you cant question another persons faith. All you can do is provide support for your mother.
It's not a case of judgement, it's a case of lack of common sense and being irritated with the showboating that the husband is doing. We do support his mother, which is why when we talked to her later, we implored her to stay inside and not go wading through floodwater again.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:21 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Don Naslund
Well put^^^^^

Not much you can do, but be careful not to hurt your mom.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:33 PM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
Never argue religion or politics. You will NEVER convince the other person that they are an idiot.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:58 PM
thendrix
Laughing Gas
Religious opinion is a very slippery slope. The problem you run into is free will. While I agree it's a bad idea to go wading through the street, it's her choice rather to follow the husband or tell him no. Another problem you run into is when in a crisis situation such as this, people become less rational and instead want to do something to help. I guess some figure "I don't have a boat to get people out so I'll tell them to pray for help". Another issue you run into, and this is an issue that runs rampant I believe, is social media. It seems people will make STUPID decisions just to get their face on social media so they can get some likes. I guess the only real part I disagree with is saying this in a group conversation where the others can see the discussion. This is the main reason I don't have any social media accounts. I figure my business is my business and nobody else's.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:13 AM
quaddriver
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just an aside, he did not do it to 'earn points with god' in your post, he did it to earn points with all the people he intended his video to be seen by. ITs 'look at me!!!!' syndrome.

I have a simple rule, if someone says to me "I am a {insert religion of choice}" and this did NOT come after the question of mine to them phrased as "what {insert religion of choice} are you?" then I know without question, they are not in anyway an adherent to {insert religion of choice}

This is not a religious post in anyway but it does indicate that I agree with your response fully.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:27 AM
thendrix
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by quaddriver
Just an aside, he did not do it to 'earn points with god' in your post, he did it to earn points with all the people he intended his video to be seen by. ITs 'look at me!!!!' syndrome.

I have a simple rule, if someone says to me "I am a {insert religion of choice}" and this did NOT come after the question of mine to them phrased as "what {insert religion of choice} are you?" then I know without question, they are not in anyway an adherent to {insert religion of choice}

This is not a religious post in anyway but it does indicate that I agree with your response fully.
Very good point

Old 09-15-2017, 07:56 AM
rbraughn
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unfortunately I did not see his video, but It seems to me like you have a lot of underlying stress/anger/hostility towards him from the past that has been building up and it finally all came gushing out. I don't think this was just about this one video/incident.

I cant say you were right or wrong, because I don't know enough about either one of you or your relationship to take sides. You are right to be concerned for your Mom's health, but maybe you could have expressed it differently.

Also, I try and never text or e-mail someone when I am mad or emotional. Words can have unintended meaning when tone, inflection, and facial expressions are absent.

****You should really blur out that other persons phone number and maybe your Mom's picture. The internet is full of wierdos. LOL

Old 09-17-2017, 03:51 PM
old farm truck
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You went too far. Your anger is justified. But browbeating your mom allowed her to play the victim card.

IMO the only thing you can do is shun these people. Don't give them the attention they crave.