1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

64' F250 4WD - The Green Machine

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 12:53 PM
TA455HO
Lead Driver
Received 547 Likes on 436 Posts
I bought the NOS rear for $17 - probably same hose you need - vendor was asking much more, but I sweet talked him way down. Just cause they quote you $55 doesn't mean they won't ever take less.

Of course, I do a bunch of business with these guys so they do know me.

Chad

Old 09-12-2017, 01:39 PM
derekxj
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TA455HO
I bought the NOS rear for $17 - probably same hose you need - vendor was asking much more, but I sweet talked him way down. Just cause they quote you $55 doesn't mean they won't ever take less.

Chad
Ah okay. Got it.

So can someone confirm that this " non HD" axle i have is the 3,000 lb version? If i knew this was a yes, i would probably be able to order the rest of my brake parts but im not positive.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:55 PM
TA455HO
Lead Driver
Yes, the non-HD version is 3,000 lbs and the HD version is 3,500 lbs rating. Sorry if I didn't make that clear before.

Chad

Old 09-13-2017, 03:32 PM
derekxj
Senior User
Yes, the non-HD version is 3,000 lbs and the HD version is 3,500 lbs rating. Sorry if I didn't make that clear before.

Chad

Thanks Alot Chad - Going to attempt to track down the proper wheel cylinders based on this new-found knowledge. I think by Saturday i should be able to have the rear brake hose of and get the front and rear to the shop to have a new set of hoses custom made to match original.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:21 PM
derekxj
Senior User
Can somebody please tell me what in the heck this is!? I'm under the assumption the "lock" dash pull may be an overdrive of sorts. But what is this on the floor?! It's got a rubber hose going into it....like a little primer of sorts and the hose then goes through the firewall.....from there, who the heck knows where!! Haven't been able to trace it yet.

in other news. Carb is rebuilt and back on. She is running much better. Just need fine tuning and to pickup a new throttle bar, as well as a carb spacer that DOESN'T have it's own coolant passage. Wacky.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:32 PM
derekxj
Senior User
Can somebody please tell me what in the heck this is!? I'm under the assumption the "lock" dash pull may be an overdrive of sorts. But what is this on the floor?! It's got a rubber hose going into it....like a little primer of sorts and the hose then goes through the firewall.....from there, who the heck knows where!! Haven't been able to trace it yet.

in other news. Carb is rebuilt and back on. She is running much better. Just need fine tuning and to pickup a new throttle bar, as well as a carb spacer that DOESN'T have it's own coolant passage. Wacky.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:53 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 70 Likes on 69 Posts
NOS brake hose? Probably OK... but ... the whole point of replacing 50 year old rubber brake hose is to have fresh components. Rubber degrades from sunlight, but also exposure to ozone, and chemicals. Custom hose makers use DOT approved materials and components and will make them up for you in any length and the connectors required for not too much money.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:49 AM
1KILLERZ
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by derekxj

Make-shift pump for windshield washer fluid????

Old 09-14-2017, 09:16 AM
TA455HO
Lead Driver
Not make shift. That is the original dealer installed washer pump bellows for the manually operated windshield washers. You use your foot to operate the pump. Air is pushed through the line into the washer bag where it pressurizes the contents and expels fluid out the nozzles on the hood that are connected to the bag by rubber hose.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...foot-pump.html

The "Lock" handle *might* be a throttle lock. It can hold the throttle in a fixed position when running a PTO winch or things like that. Very common thing to do. Just look under the dash and follow the cable. If it goes through the firewall then trace it on the engine compartment side to where it goes.

Since you are missing your front bumper there is a chance that someone removed one that had a winch mounting in it. Maybe used it on their next truck. My Dad used to do that. Moved his custom front diamond plate bumper with built-in PTO winch from one truck to the other as he upgraded.

Chad

Old 09-14-2017, 10:55 AM
worldoftone
Junior User
F - conventional series
26 - light duty
C - 292 MD V8
R - San Jose Plant
566,933 - August 1964 or sometime around then

Sweet! Mine is 566,710 also built in SJ. Was originally registered in AUG '64 in Newport Beach, CA.

You still need a Grille?

- WOT

Old 09-14-2017, 11:19 AM
derekxj
Senior User
Not make shift. That is the original dealer installed washer pump bellows for the manually operated windshield washers. You use your foot to operate the pump. Air is pushed through the line into the washer bag where it pressurizes the contents and expels fluid out the nozzles on the hood that are connected to the bag by rubber hose.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...foot-pump.html

The "Lock" handle *might* be a throttle lock. It can hold the throttle in a fixed position when running a PTO winch or things like that. Very common thing to do. Just look under the dash and follow the cable. If it goes through the firewall then trace it on the engine compartment side to where it goes.

Since you are missing your front bumper there is a chance that someone removed one that had a winch mounting in it. Maybe used it on their next truck. My Dad used to do that. Moved his custom front diamond plate bumper with built-in PTO winch from one truck to the other as he upgraded.

Chad

this is so awesome. Obviously none of it is operational so I need to get that going!!! I want a foot washer pump lol. As for the PTO....the trans has the side plate on the passenger side but no PTO. I want a PTO winch eventually as I'll be using this truck on the beach.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:20 AM
derekxj
Senior User
Originally Posted by worldoftone
Sweet! Mine is 566,710 also built in SJ. Was originally registered in AUG '64 in Newport Beach, CA.

You still need a Grille?

- WOT
not sure what you mean by those numbers....my door plate isn't original to my truck. But YES I absolutely want a correct grill on my truck. PM me pics or info if you have one.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:32 AM
worldoftone
Junior User
I have one but it will need some work. Will send pics/info later today after work. It was on my truck and original to it. Was going to restore it until I was lucky enough to find a restored one locally. It's not in horrible shape by any means but will need some minor welding and metalwork.

Number I listed was my production number. But since your doorplate is incorrect then your door was made the same month (most likely) as my truck.

- WOT

Old 09-14-2017, 11:44 AM
TA455HO
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by derekxj
not sure what you mean by those numbers....my door plate isn't original to my truck. But YES I absolutely want a correct grill on my truck. PM me pics or info if you have one.
Look at the last six digits of your VIN. Then compare it to the attached chart below from

Production Numbers.pdf.

These are the assigned block of numbers they used for each month of each year. They did not necessarily make that number of trucks, it was just a block of numbers to use. These numbers were used across all model lines.

Even your door tag, while not correct for your truck, is 1964 timeframe and not too far off from your VIN.

Chad

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Production Numbers.pdf (223.7 KB, 30 views)
Old 09-14-2017, 12:23 PM
berndtmj
New User
If you haven't already, pick up a factory service manual. Can be had from Dennis Carpenter, LMC, Rockauto, even Amazon.

We're in the process of getting my wife's great-grandfather's 61 F250 4x4 back on the road. We are finishing up the brake system now. My father in law has been purchasing all the parts and all but a few items (window, gas filler tube) have all been sourced through NAPA or some other local parts house. I know all the brake components were bought at NAPA. I'd have to look tonight to see what exactly he did for the rear brake hoses and lines. I was working on the front end while he was working on the back. Helps too that he is an old Ford Factory mechanic.

Quick Reply: 64' F250 4WD - The Green Machine