1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bulletproof Gasser?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 05:02 PM
Adrian Arnold
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bulletproof Gasser?

I want a 2011-2016 F-250. I heard that most diesels need to be bulletproofed. (Mind you I just want it for the looks of it) if I get a F-250 would a gasser need to be bullet proofed?

Old 08-25-2017, 05:09 PM
Bugzilla46310
Laughing Gas
Received 280 Likes on 151 Posts
The 6.2 comes bullet proof from the factory!

Old 08-25-2017, 05:15 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Oh lord, the disease is spreading. There is NO justifiable reason to be concerned about this subject. Nada, zilch, it's an internet meme at this point. Buy the 6.2 and rejoice in the best V8 gas engine Ford has ever made.

"Bulletproofing" is a marketing term from 2004-2005 that means "spend piles and piles of money to fix things that might not even be a problem. Ever. But some guy on the internet says it might break, so I'd better spend $5k on it. So I can 'trust the truck' again". It implies making a series of minor modifications and one major one to a 6.0L diesel engine, with greatly varying efficacy that's inversely related to the level of carnal knowledge the "mechanic" has of his cousins. Commonly heard from wife-beater wearing hillbillies at gas pumps who gaze in wonder on your Ford steed, then immediately sneer once they hear it's not "bulletproofed", followed by a lengthy diatribe about how their cousin's-friend's-uncle had one and it blew up and cost him $137,498 to repair because all Ford's are garbage unless they're bulletproofed (spit dip through tooth gap). When confronted with question about what part of it is most important, stamps feet and calls you a cuck for driving a horrible truck, proceeds to climb into his 1984 Civic hatch with a girl in the passenger seat you wouldn't touch if it was to stop karma from hitting her with the ugly stick.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:16 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Adrian Arnold
I want a 2011-2016 F-250. I heard that most diesels need to be bulletproofed. (Mind you I just want it for the looks of it) if I get a F-250 would a gasser need to be bullet proofed?
No you don't need to bulletproof a gasser. Bullet proofing is aimed more towards the diesels engines. The Diesel engines are a totally different beast then the gas engines and they are a lot more complicated of an engine then a gas engine is.

People that own diesels tend to delete them to try and avoid some of the pitfalls that can happen regens, egr issues and head gasket issues etc, the emissions systems on the diesels can be problematic especially with the 6.0 and 6.4, the 6.7 to a point but no where near as bad with the 6.4

With a gas engine just make sure you do you your oil and filter changes on time and regular maintenance and you should be fine

Old 08-25-2017, 05:17 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bugzilla46310
The 6.2 comes bullet proof from the factory!
Line of the week right there!

Old 08-26-2017, 09:35 AM
I.B. Washincars
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Oh lord, the disease is spreading. There is NO justifiable reason to be concerned about this subject. Nada, zilch, it's an internet meme at this point. Buy the 6.2 and rejoice in the best V8 gas engine Ford has ever made.

"Bulletproofing" is a marketing term from 2004-2005 that means "spend piles and piles of money to fix things that might not even be a problem. Ever. But some guy on the internet says it might break, so I'd better spend $5k on it. So I can 'trust the truck' again". It implies making a series of minor modifications and one major one to a 6.0L diesel engine, with greatly varying efficacy that's inversely related to the level of carnal knowledge the "mechanic" has of his cousins. Commonly heard from wife-beater wearing hillbillies at gas pumps who gaze in wonder on your Ford steed, then immediately sneer once they hear it's not "bulletproofed", followed by a lengthy diatribe about how their cousin's-friend's-uncle had one and it blew up and cost him $137,498 to repair because all Ford's are garbage unless they're bulletproofed (spit dip through tooth gap). When confronted with question about what part of it is most important, stamps feet and calls you a cuck for driving a horrible truck, proceeds to climb into his 1984 Civic hatch with a girl in the passenger seat you wouldn't touch if it was to stop karma from hitting her with the ugly stick.
I don't care who you are, that was funny...

Old 08-26-2017, 05:45 PM
82_F100_300Six
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The by now appallingly over exploited term bullet proofing originated and applies to the 6.0 diesel engines that didn't have enough head bolts. Then people towed with chips and needed new head gaskets. And....then the cab has to come off so somebody coined the term which means to do the cab off head gaskets and ARP studs.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:15 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Sorry buddy, but the whole cab-off myth started with the 6.4, because the cab bolts were changed to make it easier to remove. The 6.0 can be taken to a short block in frame, and even many of the 6.4 jobs that "require" cab removal can be done in-frame. The 6.4 can be a royal PITA because of the way the turbo mounting flange bolts face the rear, but not all Ford bays have lifts, so there are cab-on procedures for most of the jobs.

It's a matter of debate if it's easier to pull the cab for some jobs if you have a lift, but everything 6.0 related can be done in-frame just fine. IMO it's easier to remove the engine and put it on a stand, but that's true of a lot of engines.

100% agree on the number of head bolts. Ford heard that loud and clear in the engineering department; the 6.7 has 6 bolts for a reason, and it was built to the power spec they released it at. The 6.0 got turned up into a meteor by Ford even before the tuners got a hold of it, it's a hot engine in "stock" Ford dress.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:41 PM
redford
Received 1,561 Likes on 909 Posts
I did see a bulletproof gasser F250 when I was working in Afghanistan 2008-2010, and a few Excursions, but I don't think Kevlar, ballistic plates and bullet resistant glass are what you meant.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:53 AM
Wambo
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello. From these forums and the 28k I've put on my 2015 F-350, the 6.2 seems extremely reliable. However, there is apparently an issue with some '15 and '16 oil baffles.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/1301/excessive-oil-consumption-2015-2016-ford-f-super-duty-f-250-f-350

"Some 2015-2016 F-Super Duty250/350 vehicles equipped with a 6.2L engine and built on 3/1/2014 and through 9/8/2015 may exhibit excessive oil consumption due to an internally leaking baffle in the right side valve cover."

My truck was built in this window but has had ZERO oil consumption so far. Without symptoms, it is apparently not eligible for warranty service.

-W

PS: thanks for the laugh, texastech_diesel!

Old 08-27-2017, 11:39 AM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wambo
PS: thanks for the laugh, texastech_diesel!
I think he was holding back...

Old 08-27-2017, 02:19 PM
bla1879
Fleet Mechanic
have 130k on my 2013 6.2 and shes good as ever. no bullet proofing needed

Old 08-27-2017, 04:41 PM
JEB63
Junior User
[QUOTE=texastech_diesel;17421776]Oh lord, the disease is spreading. There is NO justifiable reason to be concerned about this subject. Nada, zilch, it's an internet meme at this point. Buy the 6.2 and rejoice in the best V8 gas engine Ford has ever made.

Response of the year right here

Old 08-27-2017, 06:53 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel

haha
youre the Dennis Miller of this forum. That was good!

Old 08-27-2017, 07:20 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by DogRidesInBack
I think he was holding back...

Ah, he has to learn to be more reserved...

... like me.

Quick Reply: Bulletproof Gasser?