6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Bypass Oil Filter - Who's Done It?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 10:37 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,379 Likes on 4,636 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck-B
Got my Blackstone report back on Friday. I expected a lot of the numbers to be zero, they're not but are below the report without the bypass oil filter. A tad bit worried about the viscosity numbers. This oil change with with Motorcraft so we'll see if the viscosity numbers improve. Next oil change I'm going to have to find a new oil. I want to go with a 40 weight and Schaeffer's 40 weight isn't on the approved list or at least it wasn't when I last checked.
Hey Chuck, what oil were you running before? So you're going to go with Motorcraft 5w40 or 15w40? I was just looking at Schaeffers 9000 series, I believe, on Amazon in a CJ rated oil.

**Disregard. I was on my cell phone and didn't see the PDF attachment.

Last edited by Overkill2; 10-29-2018 at 07:37 AM. Reason: add to post
Old 10-28-2018, 01:26 AM
Claluja
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck-B
Got my Blackstone report back on Friday. I expected a lot of the numbers to be zero, they're not but are below the report without the bypass oil filter. A tad bit worried about the viscosity numbers. This oil change with with Motorcraft so we'll see if the viscosity numbers improve. Next oil change I'm going to have to find a new oil. I want to go with a 40 weight and Schaeffer's 40 weight isn't on the approved list or at least it wasn't when I last checked.
Send your next sample to Polaris/Oil Analyzers if you want a real fuel dilutuon value. Blackstone can't and doesn't measure fuel dilution. I'm guessing you have significant fuel dilution with that viscosity number . . . ??

Old 10-28-2018, 09:10 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,705 Likes on 2,752 Posts
Originally Posted by Claluja
Blackstone can't and doesn't measure fuel dilution.
Why do you say this?

Old 10-28-2018, 09:52 AM
Claluja
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HRTKD
Why do you say this?
I will summarize - but Google it if you want to learn about it in detail.

Blackstone guesses on fuel dilution, based on other largely unrelated measurements such as flash point. Blackstone does not measure fuel dilution directly, and is almost always wrong on fuel dilution values. I've seen countless oil samples where the SAME oil was measured by BOTH Blackstone and another lab that used gas chromatography (GC) to properly measure fuel dilution, and Blackstone's fuel dilution values are always wrong, and always way low. My personal opinion is that Blackstone provides way too low fuel dilution values on purpose, because they know if people think fuel dilution is an issue they will stop using Blackstone (most in the know have done this). The most common occurrence is Blackstone saying fuel dilution is "trace" or "less than 0.5", when it is actually over 4%, 5%, or more. I've learned all this the hard way.

If you want to know actual fuel dilution values (which are important IMHO in applications such direct injection engines, marine outboards, and our 6.7 trucks with emissions stuff), get oil samples analyzed by a lab that uses gas chromatography (GC) to properly measure fuel dilution according to ASTM standards. I use Polaris/Oil Analyzers for numerous application where I suspect fuel dilution. FYI - the fuel dilution on my stock 6.7 with 150K is typically between 3.0 and 4.0%, and is the limiting factor on how long I can go between oil changes (bypass filter will not help with that, although it will cut down soot and reduce wear values to some extent).

Hope this helps.

Old 10-28-2018, 02:10 PM
RickBraden
Tuned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me see something

I read through the Blackstone data but didn't seem to see where your oil viscosity was listed. If you used 40 weight oil, shouldn't that be close to what it tested with minimal fuel dilution? Thanks.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:41 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Blackstone guesses on fuel dilution, based on other largely unrelated measurements such as flash point. Blackstone does not measure fuel dilution directly, and is almost always wrong on fuel dilution values. I've seen countless oil samples where the SAME oil was measured by BOTH Blackstone and another lab that used gas chromatography (GC) to properly measure fuel dilution, and Blackstone's fuel dilution values are always wrong, and always way low. My personal opinion is that Blackstone provides way too low fuel dilution values on purpose, because they know if people think fuel dilution is an issue they will stop using Blackstone (most in the know have done this). The most common occurrence is Blackstone saying fuel dilution is "trace" or "less than 0.5", when it is actually over 4%, 5%, or more. I've learned all this the hard way.

If you want to know actual fuel dilution values (which are important IMHO in applications such direct injection engines, marine outboards, and our 6.7 trucks with emissions stuff), get oil samples analyzed by a lab that uses gas chromatography (GC) to properly measure fuel dilution according to ASTM standards. I use Polaris/Oil Analyzers for numerous application where I suspect fuel dilution. FYI - the fuel dilution on my stock 6.7 with 150K is typically between 3.0 and 4.0%, and is the limiting factor on how long I can go between oil changes (bypass filter will not help with that, although it will cut down soot and reduce wear values to some extent).

Hope this helps.
Thanks for providing this info. I want to sample this oil change because it will be the last one before the bypass. I appreciate your comments because I am learning as I go. I checked out their website. They are very thorough with their testing. I'd like to see what the TBNs, viscosity and fuel dilution are exactly.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:16 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RickBraden
I read through the Blackstone data but didn't seem to see where your oil viscosity was listed. If you used 40 weight oil, shouldn't that be close to what it tested with minimal fuel dilution? Thanks.
Rick,
It's in the 2nd section, top 2 values. SUS Viscosity @ 210F: 64.7, should be between 66 & 78. I'm wondering if it's the oil I'm using. I'm using Schaeffer 9000 5W 40. The last time I checked Schaeffer 9000 5W 40 wasn't on the Ford approved list so I went with Motorcraft 5W 40 this time around.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:46 AM
RickBraden
Tuned

Thank you Chuck-B

I guess I didn't understand the number 64. I thought it would have a number like 35 or 40 meaning 35w or 40w.

Old 10-29-2018, 12:26 PM
ExtremeDuty
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My first post after buying my first Ford. I will be putting Kleenoil on my Ford, just a matter of time.

I've run Kleenoil bypass filtration on my '05 Duramax since new. It currently has 45,000 miles on the oil, only changed at 86k total due to head gasket failure and opening the engine. Oil condition has been monitored at 10k increments (UOA) and is cleaner than lab tested new oil from the jug (ISO4406 i.e. Particle Count) and the additive package is A-ok.
Warranty cannot be voided by aftermarket equipment, by Moss Magnuson Federal Law. Of course, this doesn't mean they won't try. Consistent UOA showing oil condition periodically over time should prove that 'maintenance' has been performed. Wear and additive depletion is caused by particles (including Soot) between 5 and 15 microns. Smaller particles will not cause wear. Kleenoil is 3 micron Absolute/1 micron Nominal and consistently provides ISO 4406 in the 15/12 or cleaner range. Keep it clean and the sacrificial additive package stays intact. Change oil when the lab indicates it's necessary.

Don't mean to be pushy on my first post but this is my real world experience. I can post UOA reports, including Particle Count if anyone is interested.
Now I'm going to the background and listen to the experienced Ford owners for an education.

Thanks.

Kleenoil Bypass Oil Filter System - Bypass Oil Filtration - Home
WearCheck International Cary, NC

Old 10-29-2018, 04:55 PM
RickBraden
Tuned

Never head of the kleenoil bypass filter

I got the Amsoil bypass bypass for my 2015 F350. They both sound like the same micron specs with the 3 and 1 micron.
I think the bypass filters make a lot of sense. Good luck.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:05 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by ExtremeDuty
My first post after buying my first Ford. I will be putting Kleenoil on my Ford, just a matter of time.

I've run Kleenoil bypass filtration on my '05 Duramax since new. It currently has 45,000 miles on the oil, only changed at 86k total due to head gasket failure and opening the engine. Oil condition has been monitored at 10k increments (UOA) and is cleaner than lab tested new oil from the jug (ISO4406 i.e. Particle Count) and the additive package is A-ok.
Warranty cannot be voided by aftermarket equipment, by Moss Magnuson Federal Law. Of course, this doesn't mean they won't try. Consistent UOA showing oil condition periodically over time should prove that 'maintenance' has been performed. Wear and additive depletion is caused by particles (including Soot) between 5 and 15 microns. Smaller particles will not cause wear. Kleenoil is 3 micron Absolute/1 micron Nominal and consistently provides ISO 4406 in the 15/12 or cleaner range. Keep it clean and the sacrificial additive package stays intact. Change oil when the lab indicates it's necessary.

Don't mean to be pushy on my first post but this is my real world experience. I can post UOA reports, including Particle Count if anyone is interested.
Now I'm going to the background and listen to the experienced Ford owners for an education.

Thanks.

Kleenoil Bypass Oil Filter System - Bypass Oil Filtration - Home
WearCheck International Cary, NC
Welcome to Ford Trucks. Appreciate your input and real world experience. I bought a FS2500 and haven't put it in yet. Hopefully soon it will be in. It's 98% at 1 micron.
I have heard of Kleenoil before. Where did you mount it?

Old 10-30-2018, 08:52 AM
ExtremeDuty
Senior User

Appreciate the welcome. Digging deep for good info and studying the FORScan stuff. To the dealer this morning for mudflaps and fix of my rear seat latch. Turned 200 miles yesterday.

Mounting is very simple on a Duramax (with single alternator). I built a mount from angle aluminum (or steel will work) that attaches to the included Kleenoil mount with the housing going in place of the 2nd alternator.
On the 6.0L PSD I've seen them mounted passenger side, just behind the radiator near the AC tubing. Both are slick.

I'm afraid it's going to be a challenge with the 6.7 and might end up under the truck on the frame somewhere; haven't done that research yet. Not a big deal since just sampling at normal service intervals and filter swaps at 10k-ish as UOA shows that it's keeping oil clean.. don't need to get under there often. Oil dumps are rare and only when the 3rd party lab deems it necessary, unless I strictly adhere to Ford's recommendation until Warranty expires (and I'm deciding today whether to extend the Warranty a few more years).

I'd recommend use of a UOA lab that will perform the ISO4406 test (Particle Count), at least for the first few intervals to prove that the filter is doing what it claims. Particle count is not done by all labs and some will say it's unnecessary, which I call bunk, since it's Contamination that depletes the additive package and renders the oil 'broken down'. It's a special test done for diesel oil because the SOOT makes it difficult for the test equipment to "see" particles. SOOT turns the oil black even when sub-micron in size. But it IS a scientific and accurate test and really the only way to know the efficiency of a filter. Make sure to ask for ISO4406 results (extra $10 or so) and if they can't or won't or recommend against, I'd suggest finding a lab that will.

Extended oil life is the secondary benefit of bypass filtration, saving hundreds, potentially thousands of dollars over time. The primary benefit is greatly reduced wear on engine internals, probably emissions components (minimized SOOT) and longer engine life. It will be interesting to see if reduced SOOT going out increases DPF life and/or reduces Regen cycles.

When the time comes to mount one I'll post what I come up with.

Last edited by ExtremeDuty; 10-30-2018 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Add
Old 10-30-2018, 10:33 AM
Blackstone-Labs
New User

Hope this helps.
I would just like to say that this guy has no idea what he's talking about. We've been using the flashpoint of oil to identify fuel dilution since our company was founded back in 1985. It works great in identifying fuel dilution in the oil and we see fuel system problems on a daily basis with it. When the 6.0L Power Stroke first came out, we were seeing fuel dilution in nearly every sample from that type of engine and that engine did indeed have a lot of injector problems at the start of it's life. I don't have any problem with people recommending other labs, but to say we are purposely making up bad data is just wrong and I want you all to know this. If you have any questions about fuel dilution and how we calculate it, please feel free to contact me directly.

Sincerely,
Ryan Stark
President
Blackstone Labs
260-744-2380

Old 10-31-2018, 07:28 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by ExtremeDuty
Appreciate the welcome. Digging deep for good info and studying the FORScan stuff. To the dealer this morning for mudflaps and fix of my rear seat latch. Turned 200 miles yesterday.

Mounting is very simple on a Duramax (with single alternator). I built a mount from angle aluminum (or steel will work) that attaches to the included Kleenoil mount with the housing going in place of the 2nd alternator.
On the 6.0L PSD I've seen them mounted passenger side, just behind the radiator near the AC tubing. Both are slick.

I'm afraid it's going to be a challenge with the 6.7 and might end up under the truck on the frame somewhere; haven't done that research yet. Not a big deal since just sampling at normal service intervals and filter swaps at 10k-ish as UOA shows that it's keeping oil clean.. don't need to get under there often. Oil dumps are rare and only when the 3rd party lab deems it necessary, unless I strictly adhere to Ford's recommendation until Warranty expires (and I'm deciding today whether to extend the Warranty a few more years).

I'd recommend use of a UOA lab that will perform the ISO4406 test (Particle Count), at least for the first few intervals to prove that the filter is doing what it claims. Particle count is not done by all labs and some will say it's unnecessary, which I call bunk, since it's Contamination that depletes the additive package and renders the oil 'broken down'. It's a special test done for diesel oil because the SOOT makes it difficult for the test equipment to "see" particles. SOOT turns the oil black even when sub-micron in size. But it IS a scientific and accurate test and really the only way to know the efficiency of a filter. Make sure to ask for ISO4406 results (extra $10 or so) and if they can't or won't or recommend against, I'd suggest finding a lab that will.

Extended oil life is the secondary benefit of bypass filtration, saving hundreds, potentially thousands of dollars over time. The primary benefit is greatly reduced wear on engine internals, probably emissions components (minimized SOOT) and longer engine life. It will be interesting to see if reduced SOOT going out increases DPF life and/or reduces Regen cycles.

When the time comes to mount one I'll post what I come up with.
"I'm afraid it's going to be a challenge with the 6.7 and might end up under the truck on the frame somewhere; haven't done that research yet."

*The FS2500 mounts on the driver's side of the frame on the outside and the lines run over to the passenger side. I'll post up pics when it's done.

"unless I strictly adhere to Ford's recommendation until Warranty expires (and I'm deciding today whether to extend the Warranty a few more years)."

*That's what I'm doing as I have the 7 year/125k mile warranty. A lot of dealers do changes at 5k mile intervals while some use the truck Oil Life Monitor.
I'm just under two years of owning the by a couple of months. I'm thinking I will hit the mileage mark before the seven years is up.

"I'd recommend use of a UOA lab that will perform the ISO4406 test (Particle Count), at least for the first few intervals to prove that the filter is doing what it claims. Particle count is not done by all labs and some will say it's unnecessary, which I call bunk, since it's Contamination that depletes the additive package and renders the oil 'broken down'. It's a special test done for diesel oil because the SOOT makes it difficult for the test equipment to "see" particles. SOOT turns the oil black even when sub-micron in size. But it IS a scientific and accurate test and really the only way to know the efficiency of a filter. Make sure to ask for ISO4406 results (extra $10 or so) and if they can't or won't or recommend against, I'd suggest finding a lab that will."

*I appreciate that insightful info. I just changed my oil and grabbed a jar full as she was draining. I cleaned off the area and drain bolt real good with brake cleaner so as to keep contaminating the sample at a minimum.

"It will be interesting to see if reduced SOOT going out increases DPF life and/or reduces Regen cycles."

*I thought of this as well, especially about reducing Regen cycles. We shall see,

Old 10-31-2018, 10:34 AM
ExtremeDuty
Senior User

Just for kicks. I can add a UOA report of new from the bottle Delo400 to compare to this if permitted. But in a nutshell the new oil was also 16/13 ISO4406
The "Filter Changed" slot refers to the OEM spin-on filter. Not changed is accurate. The Offline Filter (bypass) changed slot is in another portion of the more detailed report.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
OA-RPT-L-.pdf (253.8 KB, 57 views)

Quick Reply: Bypass Oil Filter - Who's Done It?