Bypass Oil Filter - Who's Done It? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Bypass Oil Filter - Who's Done It?

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 08-24-2017, 08:43 AM
SkiSmuggs
Elder User
SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.

It seems like a bypass oil filter might be a really good idea for these trucks due to soot in the oil. Who has done this and what system did you use?
AMSOIL seems to have a really good kit and a guy named Don Smith has their kit with a bracket he makes for the 6.7L and an improved sample valve.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:41 PM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Just Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to behold
soot in the oil is a common diesel condition. My oil 73 would turn the oil dark in a few hundred miles. I would not worry about it. You can buy a lot of oil for the cost of the filter system?

Old 08-26-2017, 10:01 AM
69cj
Post Fiend
69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
Diesel oil is designed to hold soot in suspension.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:09 AM
SkiSmuggs
Elder User
Originally Posted by 69cj View Post
Diesel oil is designed to hold soot in suspension.
Agreed, but soot is still an abrasive and removing it improves the oil and extends its useful life.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:08 PM
garmford
Senior User
garmford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If dirty oil was a major concern you'd think that one of the many major Diesel engine manufacturers would already have some sort of super crazy oil filtration system. I doubt that Ford would extend us out to 7500+ mikes between changes if they were concerned over dirty oil. I know nothing about big rigs but, do these rigs putting millions of miles on run any special filtration?
Id assume change my oil every 5000 miles than put some crazy contraption that could fail on my truck. It's just another thing that can fail.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:01 PM
SkiSmuggs
Elder User
I appreciate your input and you make a valid point on the OCI recommended by Ford. However, a bypass system is really simple and is unlikely to fail. The worst that can happen is that you never change the bypass filter, it becomes too clogged to pass oil and your system reverts to its pre-bypass status. I believe some big rigs run bypass systems, but don't know any truckers to confirm with.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:27 PM
garmford
Senior User
garmford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I guess it really depends on how many miles you plan on putting on your truck. If you're planning on running the truck into the ground then it might be worth it.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:01 PM
SkiSmuggs
Elder User
28 months and 42,000 miles and I had planned on it being my last truck so I can see 150,000 miles or more. If I were buying wheels and tires (yeah, get 37s), I would have a cheering section. Same if I were deleting. But just keeping the oil clean, I don't think you need to do that. I have seen oil forums where bypass is cheered as the way to go. But, I don't have much extra money and I've reached the age where I would rather pay someone else to do it.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:06 PM
Postmaster
99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation
When I was driving, our rigs ran about 150,000 miles per year. We changed oil every 10,000 miles....no special oil filtration, just the regular Cat, Cummins, Donaldson,Wix filters. And we would generally get 1,000,000 miles before any major engine work.......mostly sell the old ones then and buy new ones.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:57 AM
Chuck-B
Elder User
Chuck-B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Chuck-B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
IMHO (you know what folks say about opinions, they're like a certain part of the body, everyone's got one) mine is: keeping your oil clean is the single most important thing you can do to extend the life of your engine. Change the oil when the truck tells you to, stick your index finger in the old oil and rub it against your thumb - you can feel the grit in it (remember, still my opinion) - that cannot be good. Stick one of those Filtermags on the filter and hack the filter open before you remove the Filtermag and look at the metal that thing grabbed - yes, it's on the "dirty side" of the oil, but there are circumstances where the "stock" filter is by-passed to keep the oil flowing - both of these cannot be good. What everyone is saying about not doing it is absolutely is based on fact, not opinion. However, as I look back at the vehicles that I've owned - 180,000 on a 1982 5.0, 290,000 on a 1992 3.8 and 160,000 on a 2004 5.4 (all were still running when I traded them in) I think I'm going to keep doing what I did to get those engines to the milage I got them to, keeping the oil as clean and as fresh as I possibly can. Was it the sole purpose for getting that mileage out of them? Who knows, but when my 3.8 toasted a head gasket and the mechanic said to me "what are you doing to keep the inside of this engine clean? It's the cleanest engine I've seen and if it were a typical 3.8 I would tell you to replace it" I knew I was doing something right. I'm going to do the same with my truck - I went with the Insane Diesel Extreme Oil Filter. Between the research I've done, what my eyes saw when I saw the inside of an oil filter with a Filtermag, how my oil felt after my last change and my experience, there was never a doubt in my mind what I was going to do

Old 08-29-2017, 12:32 PM
SkiSmuggs
Elder User
Thanks for your input. I've gotten over 250,000 miles on a Subaru by only doing oil & filter changes, but diesel is a different beast. It wasn't clear to me if you are still using Filter Mag in addition to the Insane Diesel bypass filter or just the bypass.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:27 PM
elee3
Posting Guru
elee3 is a splendid one to beholdelee3 is a splendid one to beholdelee3 is a splendid one to beholdelee3 is a splendid one to beholdelee3 is a splendid one to beholdelee3 is a splendid one to behold
After I sold my 2004 6.0 (120k miles) to a friend, he added a bypass oil filter. I was amazed at how clean the oil stayed. Definitely made me consider doing that mod. I would still change the oil at 5,000 miles, because that's just what I do. I am a little OCD.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:30 AM
Chuck-B
Elder User
Chuck-B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Chuck-B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I am still using the FilterMag, I figured I had it, why not and am curious if it grabs anything. Probably not this oil change, the next one will be the one to watch.

I thought about reducing my change interval to 5,000 miles. Blackstone told me to increase it to 9,000, Insane Diesel said a year. But like Lee, not happening, I'll probably change it when the truck tells me to change it. Oh and I'm not sending my oil to Insane Diesel for analysis, it's going to Blackstone.

On the 250k on the Subaru - exactly what I did with my cars - every 3,000 they got fresh oil and a new filter. I think on the Cougar (3.8) I used something called Slick50. Back in those days dumping Teflon into your oil was the rage. Ya gotta remember, back then there was a PCV, that was it. Now they are dumping exhaust (EGR) and fuel (regens) into your cylinders which is making it's way into your oil. Then we're being told "don't worry about it, change your oil at 7,000 miles" It's a head scratcher to me - doesn't make sense.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:37 PM
SkiSmuggs
Elder User
That Subie was changed every 6000 or yearly, which ever came first. 3000 miles is so 60s and 70s. My 69 VW Bug, 71 Karmann Ghia and two 71 Squarebacks all got deep sumps and oil filters since they only held about 3.5 gallons stock.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:34 PM
Overkill2
Senior User
Overkill2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I had a 1996 F250 5.8 Windsor. I had it a couple years before I threw on a remote dual oil filter setup...the stock oil filter on that truck was very short due to clearance issues with the POS Dana 50 front axle. I swapped out that axle for a kingpin Dana 60 but stuck with the dual filter set up because it was 2 #30001 filters on there with about 6-7 feet of hose on both sides...it added oil capacity to the system. She was the 1st truck I ran a FilterMag on. I believed I changed oil at 5k mile intervals, I believe. I first saw the Amsoil remote bypass system back then.

But my later vehicles, a 1988 4Runner and a 1994 4Runner w 2.4L I4s, a 1999 and 2000 Cherokee XJs w 4.0L I6 and my wife's 2009 Ford Escape with 2.5L I4, besides having a FilterMag on each, I changed the oil out at 7.5k miles. Each factory manual for each vehicle had the normal OCI at 7500. Now, while I get that our trucks are different than gasoline engines...I still agree with going out to what our truck computer tells us to change it at. Oil technology has come very far since the 60s and 70s. But why would you want to change the oil in our trucks? The soot, dirt...and maybe fuel, if any...

I know that diesel oil is designed to hold all the soot but those carbon particles are abrasive. Maybe someone can enlighten this thread as to the size of "soot" particles. The bottom line on bypass systems is that it gets all the dirt and soot and whatever else out of the oil so the oil can be run out to 1000's of miles because oil in of itself does not wear out, it only gets dirty. Then samples are taken periodically to analyze the oil and see how it's doing.

Obviously with all of our trucks on warranty, no one would it...at least I wouldn't. But once past the warranty, why the hell not? Get a good synthetic and run it out. I plan on installing an Extreme bypass system when funds permit. Why not? I would keep my FilterMag on the primary filter and check it out when I changed the oil. It would be interesting to see what is there in the factory oil filter...

Chuck, let us know what you find on the primary filter when you change it. You are now running the bypass?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bypass Oil Filter - Who's Done It?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: