Cam phaser??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 08:13 PM
jesse123
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cam phaser??

I am currently dealing with some issues on my 2004 f150. I am getting a p0345 code for the bank 2 CPS. I have tested both sensors as well as checked the wiring for shorts and continuity. With the bank two sensor unplugged the truck will run fine but as soon as it is plugged in it begins to sputter and eventually stall. I also ran the truck with the VCT solenoids unplugged but this did nothing to help my issue. If I run the truck on just the drivers side CPS I will get additional codes for both banks over advanced.

im currently thinking I need to remove the valve cover and inspect my camphaser. Thinking it may be rotated causing a bad reading from the sensor. Is it possible that p0345 case could be due to a improper reading rather than no signal?

I am curious if you have seen this issue before and possibly have some additional troubleshooting steps for me before I pull the valve cover and timing cover to inspect?

thanks for reading

Old 08-18-2017, 04:38 AM
KULTULZ
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 08-18-2017, 10:30 AM
jesse123
New User
Yup tried every trouble shooting step to do with the code. Everything passes

Old 08-18-2017, 03:13 PM
KULTULZ
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by jesse123

Yup tried every trouble shooting step to do with the code. Everything passes
The code(s) is generic across most car lines.

Did you diagnose by fORD Diagnostic Sequence?

Old 08-18-2017, 09:52 PM
F150Torqued
Posting Guru
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Yes P0345 may definately be a mechanical issue

Originally Posted by jesse123
im currently thinking I need to remove the valve cover and inspect my cam phaser. Thinking it may be rotated causing a bad reading from the sensor. Is it possible that p0345 case could be due to a improper reading rather than no signal?

I am curious if you have seen this issue before and possibly have some additional troubleshooting steps for me before I pull the valve cover and timing cover to inspect?

Not trying to be coy, but the problem is THE CODE itself. The Damn P0340 / 0345 and 0344 / 0349 codes have the most stupid, misleading diagnostic descriptions of any of the codes. Yes, they are 'generic across most car lines', but they're ALL stupid and unhelpful. I'm not blaming you for following the procedures. But they send you off on a goose chase after wiring, the CPS or the PCM without even hinting at possible (and I believe MOST common) mechanical causes.

The problem: The CPS signal processing by the PCM is not 'interrupt driven', but the software 'polls' (or looks) for the CPS signal when it logically expects a Phaser 'fingery' should pass by the CPS sensor - within a certain 'time window' (IDK how wide). If it doesn't see it ----- P0340 / 0345 is set if during startup / cranking. If it sees it sometimes but misses it sometimes (intermittent), a P0344 or P0349 is set.

The diagnostic question --- WHY? Unfortunately those electrical issues can cause it. Failed sensor can cause it. Low or weak battery can cause 340 / 345.

But low oil pressure and/or internal phaser wear / failure can ALSO cause these codes. The Phaser has a spring loaded 'locking pin' inside it that should capture and hold the phaser at base _NO RETARD_ during startup. If idle oil pressure is inadequate to push phaser to base postion during/before shutdown, the phaser will be in improper position at startup and result in P0340 / P0345.

Also a defective or intermittent (sticky) VCT solenoid can cause these codes. AND the codes are _STICKY_. Meaning that once triggered, even if the condition dissapears, the code remains until reset, or several drive cycles are completed without their re-occurance. So the code doesn't mean the problem that caused it is present NOW. This can be a temporary condtion that only occurs once in a while.

ALSO, if timing chain jumps a tooth (out of time by one or two chain links) will produce these codes. Regrettably, you cannot verify phaser internals OR chain timing by removing valve covers. You can marginally tell if chains have lots of slack or perhaps (with a bore scope) you can tell if you have severly broken chain guides - though not very conclusively if theyre just busted.

If you have other phaser symptoms, lots of miles or you DO determine guides are broken - I would recommend removing the oil pan and see if pieces of broken guides are clogging up the oil pump pickup screen. That can degrade idle oil pressure when hot - also causing the phaser to fail to lock at base, and result in generation of these codes on next startup.

Good luck

Old 08-18-2017, 10:33 PM
jesse123
New User
My question exactly

I'll start off but saying I am a heavy duty mechanic not automotive. When I read the code description it said that the PCM did not revive the CPS signal. This lead me to believe it had to be an electrical issue.

I ended up getting ahold of my teacher from trade school who was a Ford mechanic previously and also owns a 5.4. He then told me (as I suspected) this code can also mean the pcm is receiving a signal that is out of range.

Now that I know this I am 100% sure I either have a chain that has jumped or a faulty phaser. Thanks for the replies guys I appreciate it. Either way with 167000kms I'm going to change it all and the oil pump while I'm in there. As I'm not interested in doing it twice 👎🏼

Old 08-19-2017, 10:59 AM
F150Torqued
Posting Guru
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
With that kind of mileage on it, sadly I suspect you are on point. It is not great life out of the long metal timing chains, but not completely unreasonable either. With 122 links on them, very few thousandths wear in each adds up to quiet a bit of stretch, then they slap the hell out of the 'plastic' guides.