Sponsored by: DP Tuner

*** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 11:35 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
Find it [cruise control] tryn to "find" itself all the time.
I have that issue at slower speeds on uneven (hilly) roads. It happens around 40 mph where it can't seem to settle down (shifts/surges) with gradual ups and downs, even more so now with the single shots (more surging, less shifting).

As for freeway speeds my CC is a champ. If I've got a particularly steep incline coming up I'll give the pedal a little love to get the speed up a bit and let it settle down as it starts the incline but other than that I set it and forget it. Granted I don't tow a lot but I've headed out of town with a full load (wife, two kids, and a full bed of food, water, and tools) and hit a 6%+ grade in CC at 65 mph and the truck doesn't skip a beat.

Originally Posted by BBslider001
Wes, so in an 8 hour driving day, you never give that right knee and ankle a break and just "cruise"? I don't think that would constitute as "distracted driving". Keeping that leg in the same position for that amount of time would absolutely kill me. LOL
It kills me too. I use CC all the time to give my leg/knee/ankle/heel a break.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:31 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
' Find it tryn to "find" itself all the time.'

I was wondering if there is "reset" mode or adjustment to smooth out the reaction time that the CC uses. Kind of like a sensitivity setting on an auto pilot.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:48 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 813 Likes on 593 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
We were really looking forward to the Ascent coming out since it is the "replacement" for the 08 Tribeca that we have and love. We feel the Ascent is just a touch too big for us, but are looking forward to that engine/turbo to be in the newer models. The current Outback is more in line with our 08 Tribeca and what we will probably upgrade to.

The adaptive cruise control is one of the features I am looking forward to the most. Will make my wife's job of following the camper so much easier.
My cousin was playing with the adaptive cruise. Basically find the distance you want behind a vehicle and set it. Car tracks right along. If that car moves over a lane the system will resume the next time it finds a car in front at the set distance. If the "pace car" varies in speed like a drunken sailor, so will you. Another issue is my cousin liked a large gap, too large for typical drivers in this area, so cars often cut in front of us. Then the system slowed to create the set distance. Not really a problem, just annoying. A smaller gap would likely fix that, just gotta play with it enough to figure out the details.

Originally Posted by hydro man 17
David, are you an audiophile? I need to buy a proper cartridge for my turn table and don't really know where to look. I bought may current set up back in the day everybody was saying that vinyl was dead. At the time the only things that were available were cheap junk or items that cost as much as a new truck.
Weeelllllll I do like my music clean, I have my grandad's super hearing so things bother me that others don't even hear. But I won't claim the audiophile title, that is for more serious people. For cartridges I know there are basically two kinds, then choices of manufacturers. Higher rated stylus life is generally better quality.

Originally Posted by hydro man 17
Sous, do you have any personal experience with the rear view camera / collision avoidance feature? I've decided that it needs to be part of my requirements since I had the stroke a while back.
I liked the rear camera in the Ascent. Wider field of view than the one in me Mum's Ford. It pops on when you engage reverse, nice to get a quick look down low, immediately behind the car, great for backing into a parking space with trees/obstacles. I think the value is most in a car with bad viewing from the driver seat. The Ascent also had lane change alerts (some spurious activity on a twisty narrow road) and blindspot alert lights in the mirrors.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:01 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,145 Likes on 653 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Wes, so in an 8 hour driving day, you never give that right knee and ankle a break and just "cruise"?
8 hr drives are for amateurs We usually drive to CA 24hrs non-stop, eyes give out long before a knee/ankle and wife and i swap drivers. Seems like i usually end up doing 14-18 hours of the trip. If cruise control held engine throttle (think fuel used, not rpm) constant instead of trying to maintain a set speed I'd probably use it, but until then i still get about 10% better mileage driving than my wife does using CC

Old 01-16-2019, 04:10 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,483 Likes on 2,864 Posts
Almost done with wiring up the front compartment.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:15 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,145 Likes on 653 Posts
Long way from a cardboard mock up Sous! Looking perty

Old 01-16-2019, 04:46 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,483 Likes on 2,864 Posts
Originally Posted by Wesley Green
Long way from a cardboard mock up Sous! Looking perty
Thanks, by doing it myself we are saving over $4000 in fees. This also allowed us to piece together exactly what we wanted and needed from several manufacturers instead of going with what the installer uses. Premium wire, lugs and equipment.

The trailer should be a boondocking master once I finish up soon.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:26 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Dang nice work!! That deserves to be seen more than 1 time!

Old 01-16-2019, 05:27 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
And to stay with the topic at hand of CC, I'll be making a business trip out to Wichita area next week, weather and road conditions permitting, I'll be using the CC the whole way.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:30 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by ZachinCO
Yeah, I'm down to getting the crank pulley off. Lots of work to get to the water pump, it's a PITA!

I know exactly what you mean. I've worked on timing belt and water pumps for other Toyota V-6's, Subaru boxer, Volvo T5, BMW E31 V-6, and Nissan V-6's, and NONE of those have hidden the belt and water pump so deeply in the front end as Toyota did on this V8! And it also has the "snakiest" serp belt routing I've ever seen.

When I got took my son's crank pulley off, it came off really easy with my large 3-jaw puller. The hardest part for me, at that point, was fitting my own particular impact wrench between the pulley bolt and the front cross-frame, but we got it.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:53 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Originally Posted by F250_
I know exactly what you mean. I've worked on timing belt and water pumps for other Toyota V-6's, Subaru boxer, Volvo T5, BMW E31 V-6, and Nissan V-6's, and NONE of those have hidden the belt and water pump so deeply in the front end as Toyota did on this V8! And it also has the "snakiest" serp belt routing I've ever seen.

When I got took my son's crank pulley off, it came off really easy with my large 3-jaw puller. The hardest part for me, at that point, was fitting my own particular impact wrench between the pulley bolt and the front cross-frame, but we got it.
I've tried loosening the nut with my impact, no dice. I'm gonna have to get a pulley wrench of some kind. Bummer, I have to buy a new tool....

Thankfully it's not a real rush, we have my daughters FJ right now while she's down in FL the next few months for work.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:59 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
What kind of impact are you using Zach? Try tightening a bit then loosen it.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:50 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by ZachinCO
Since we're talking cars, I'm shopping for my wife too. Our '02 Sequoia is ready to move on. I'm still working on replacing the waterpump and hoping that gets it running.

List of potential replacements in no particular order:
  1. Toyota Sequoia(our '02 had a serious design flaw with the rear hatch/handle. Hopefully they've fixed that)
  2. Toyota Landcruiser
  3. Audi Q7
  4. Infinity QX80
  5. Subaru Ascent
Anyone have experience with the above? We're shopping used in the 2014-2018 range.

Not those exact cars but we have an Infiniti FX-35. Takes off like greased ligtning, lot's of power and burns premium fuel only. Feels safe enough and handles well, no issues yet except the plastic sun visor clips. 44 K on it.
That said I bought a 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI a few weeks ago and I am lovin it! Very fun to drive and the MPG is almost unbelievable. The 2015 was the newest generation available in the US for 2015 only, VW will no longer ship diesels to the US. So it's sort of the end of an era for these cars if you've always wanted one now is the time. They are being sold back into the public fixed and at pretty low prices, they are still practically new cars. Plenty of standards too for you guys who love standards. 11 year/165K mile warranty on the entire emissions system to boot, 5 yr/60K on power train and VW CPO cars are getting another 2 years added to the original 3/36 bumper to bumper. I picked mine up with 27K on it for $14,900 out the door. The head/leg room is one of the main reasons I looked at them to begin with as I have a hard time fitting into a lot of cars, the Golf has tons of room.

Another car in a similar class to what you are looking at is the Buick Enclave, the new generation (2017-up) is a real looker and lot's of interior space.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:56 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

looks killer, Sousolar...give it a "1+"..

Old 01-17-2019, 07:54 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts

Looks like a complex installation, congrats and hope is serves you well. Will it provide all the power you need with no shore power required?

Quick Reply: *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***