Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

*** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 02:38 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timmy, went through the Owens Valley for the first time in about 50 years a while back. Boy what a change. Four lane dived highway in a lot of areas ETC. 395 was just a two lane highway in the middle of nowhere back then.

Old 10-13-2018, 03:00 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Originally Posted by hydro man 17
Sous, a couple of questions.
I assume that you live in a high humidity region and was wondering if some of / bunch of that stuff on those screens is algae and if some sort of biological system could help eliminate it. I know back in my commercial fishing days that a lot of guy had some sort of additive that they put in the fuel tanks.
Also I am thinking about a Subaru as a daily driver. How do you like yours? Seem to be good rigs.
@hydro man 17 I bought the truck with right about 220,000 miles on it 4.5 years ago. The owner said that the truck belonged to a family friend that had passed away and the family gave him the truck to sell. He was in middle PA, but the truck spent all of its life in the LA and TX area. Even the original exhaust hanger bolts came out with no issues... Gotta love a southern raised truck.

The tank and what was left of the fluid level looked clean and free of contaminants (other than the pickup foot in pieces) and algae. I was not surprised to see the screens in the condition they were because I had seen this condition time and time again when learning about how to accomplish the H&H mod. I had changed the fuel filter several times before doing the H&H mod, and there were no signs of contamination or algae then either. I have not noticed contaminants other than a few random pieces of crap in the bottom of the Racor or algae building up on the screen either. This is a good thing as far as I am concerned.

If algae does become a problem, or I suspect it is becoming a problem, I will certainly use some cleaner in the fuel tank and system designed to get rid of it. We don't use the truck often, but I am sure to cycle the fuel in the OEM tank and the auxiliary tank and not let either sit too long. I would say 60-70 days is the longest it sits without being fired up and used, even if it is a short trip of say 30 miles or so.

As for the Subaru, best car I have ever owned. This list includes the 2004 Audi S4 (with a 4.2 liter V-8 under the hood), Grand Cherokee, etc... It is built like a tank and has never faltered when we needed it. We have taken this thing through waist high grass, water that came up to the doors, snow deep enough to drag on the bumper, ice conditions, mud that got a 4x4 RAM stuck, mountain/forestry service roads, etc...

We will always own a Subaru from here on out. We actually were just looking at the new Ascent that just came out for 2019 as a potential replacement when our Tribeca has to leave us. Although, my heart is still with the newer style Outback's. There are reports that the Outback will get the new 2.4 turbo engine that the Ascent has, but will be getting 35 MPG on the highway with that engine. That is great to have in an AWD car that does not blink an eye when you ask it to do something other than go to Walmart.

The only thing we have ever had to do to our Subaru was replace a relay for the A/C, change tires, change oil and I am about to replace the spark plugs. After 110,000 miles, we are Subaru fans for life. Plus, they let you take your dogs into the show room and jump in the vehicles...

Hit me up via PM if you have any specific questions or concerns about Subaru.

Old 10-13-2018, 03:37 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by hydro man 17
Timmy, went through the Owens Valley for the first time in about 50 years a while back. Boy what a change. Four lane dived highway in a lot of areas ETC. 395 was just a two lane highway in the middle of nowhere back then.
yeah man, first time going thru that i can remember, was in 91'. Since then, it got itself in a big hurry. Atleast, im cool with the rugged campingvin which most, today, call camping being smashed against 1 anutha in rental trailers with no trees...have at it, folks..ill take this anyday..

Old 10-14-2018, 12:17 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
yeah man, first time going thru that i can remember, was in 91'. Since then, it got itself in a big hurry. Atleast, im cool with the rugged campingvin which most, today, call camping being smashed against 1 anutha in rental trailers with no trees...have at it, folks..ill take this anyday..

Timmy, it doesn't get any better than that. Solitude, beautiful country, and trout on a fly. Days to live for. Thanks for the pics

Old 10-14-2018, 12:40 PM
Silverhks
Senior User
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Are those vent tubes capped off? I might have to do something like that if it works

Originally Posted by mecdac

#StThomasEvacuation

We we left the mainland to seek shelter...iced coffee and rum drinks.
Enjoy the VI. If you get a day go to St. John as well.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:46 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Well. It was 69* here yesterday with sun. I got the camper winterized, covered and put away. Today it’s 25*, 40mph winds and light snow …gotta love Colorado!

Old 10-14-2018, 03:03 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado350
Well. It was 69* here yesterday with sun. I got the camper winterized, covered and put away. Today it’s 25*, 40mph winds and light snow …gotta love Colorado!
My dad sent me a picture of his front yard, a little different than mine. I'm guessing the further north you go, the more snow.
It's currently 16° and feels like 8°. Predicted high of 39° tomorrow.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:08 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
It's starting to get a little chilly here over night, a bit early for that but I don't think we have hit freezing temps - yet. The main thing that I see so far is the cedar trees are dumping seed pods by the thousands, but I don't know if that is a cyclical thing or not.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:21 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Silverhks

Enjoy the VI. If you get a day go to St. John as well.
@Silverhks Thanks for the tip, been coming here 13 years. We've been to St Johns, and BVI (locally) and most every other Caribbean island (regionally), St Thomas is our home base. A lot less going on since Irma and Maria last year.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:10 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I started on a new project.
This is the truck that Grandma rode to the hospital in when my dad was born.

1940 Ford

Pulled the rear axle out yesterday to repair the hub bearings.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:19 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Very cool HD Rider!

Old 10-14-2018, 06:01 PM
Silverhks
Senior User
Originally Posted by mecdac

@Silverhks Thanks for the tip, been coming here 13 years. We've been to St Johns, and BVI (locally) and most every other Caribbean island (regionally), St Thomas is our home base. A lot less going on since Irma and Maria last year.
@mecdac
Very nice! I grew up on St. Croix. Unofficially, I've been all over the BVI, with time in <acronym title="Page Ranking">PR</acronym> and Dominican Rep. I haven't been back in like 15 years, I need to fix that.
And, yeah I checked in with some of my friends still there, both of those storms were bad news for the area. I remember yelling at the TV/News because they were talking about how bad it was in PR with no mention of VI. Then they would show the night satellite shots and i could see where St.Croix was but no light. It waswso similar to what happened after Hugo.Bad Times...

Last edited by Silverhks; 10-14-2018 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Where did that acronym garbage come from
Old 10-14-2018, 06:28 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
hey all... @Silverhks yeah, those vents were capped....not my doing though. I thought it was factory? Maybe not?

Got 6 inches of blowing snow here last night. high today of 25*....this can suck it really. Not too much longer.

Hope y'all are well. @HD Rider very cool project! Can't wait to see more.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:32 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Are you sure that they are solid caps and not check valves?

Old 10-14-2018, 11:32 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
They are vent caps. They are x'ed inside to let air threw. Came that way from the factory, same as mine.

Quick Reply: *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***