2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2017+ super duty limited (or future high end trim) idea

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 04:35 PM
theboom
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
2017+ super duty limited (or future high end trim) idea

I've had this idea for awhile and I'm curious what other people think about it. I was trying to think of a big way that Ford could up the luxury appeal of the $80k+ trim price that they are charging now and I thought of this: why don't they remove the bench seat and put the same front seats and center console in the back. First off, this would be extremely easy and cheap for ford to do because they already have the hardware. But more importantly it would be an easy way to add cooling and massage functions to the rear because your using the same seats as the front. It would also add the nice power functions and just the general more comfortable front seats to the rear. You could also add the center consol to the back. This would allow a much better arm rest as well as better cup holders and storage than the very lame current solution.

Now I know for some people this is not very appealing and would most likely be an expensive option and that is why I think it should be an option on the platinum and standard on the limited when it comes out. All other trims would have the current bench seat.

I actually found a video with a 2008 f450 king ranch with this very thing. I don't know if this was actually an option in 2008 but anyway here is a screenshot:

Here is the video for anyone that wants a better look, he starts showing the inside at around the 6 min mark:
https://youtu.be/SroNUAjZ2LA

Old 08-10-2017, 05:44 PM
Ryan Bush
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think it would be very popular for two reason

1. Even though I typically buy the highest trim level, I regularly have 5 people (sometimes 6) in my truck when towing my boat.

2. I'm not sure how many people would spend the extra money for the comfort of the back seat passengers, I typically drive, and my wife rides shot gun. If the people in the back would prefer to be more comfortable, they can drive themselves

They did something similar in the F150 Harley Trucks in the early 00s

Old 08-10-2017, 07:37 PM
xxxsherpa
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd rather see a nice fold down bed.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:54 PM
Christian's1988Ford
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I think it's a great idea!

Rather than the full console that's in the front seat, the rear could be more compact. Maybe it could be shorter (bottom to top) than the front--that would allow for it to be flipped up and double as a 3rd rear seat. If you want the console, flip the back rest down onto the seat, and voila, you have a console!

Instead of a console that makes storage 1st priority, the rear could have separate seat heater/cooler and rear air vent adjustment ***** and buttons.

Pretty neat idea! I even think a 2nd set of front seats and full console for the rear would be great for the XLT/Lariat, for those that have a family but still need lots of interior storage!

Old 08-10-2017, 09:06 PM
wfedwar
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm the opposite. Id like to have full benches front and rear. Not even split benches.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:00 PM
mrpickles
Junior User
I like the idea of the rear seat folding out to become a bed, like and airline business class seat/bed.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:06 PM
RJC2
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about putting a mini refrigerator in there. In the back of the front console with a hatch so the front seat people can still reach inside for a cold one. (Water of course)

Old 08-10-2017, 10:21 PM
FlyinAg
Senior User
How about a "mega cab" with captains chairs the recline way back!

Old 08-10-2017, 10:28 PM
mr176
Mountain Pass
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
They offered rear buckets with a console in the early 2000's. It was a Lariat LE package. Also offered the LE as a short bed dually.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:47 AM
BostonScorpion
Freshman User
I just am happy they are offering a 2018 Limited on the Super Duty Trim....cannot wait to order one.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:41 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 535 Likes on 259 Posts
My idea of a truly luxurious and differentiated "Limited" truck would be to do the following: install a suede headliner (dark) and also cover the A, B, and C pillars with this material. Right now, the pillars are covered in plastic.

Add a red "door open" LED lamp in the bottom of each door panel that illuminates when each respective door is open.

Use thicker-pile carpeting

Add the 4-seater with rear console option

Add 4-zone rear climate control with actual digital controls in the rear, and increase the volume of air coming from the rear console vents. Also, add vents the are quiet and flow only a small amount of heated or cooled air into the C-pillars.

Add a vastly improved audio system which much greater power and clarity. Add rear seat audio controls.

Add full soft vinyl trim to the entire door panels and dash top, just like what you would find in a Lincoln MKS / Continental.

Add a larger Sync3 touchscreen. It looks like the bezel could easily accommodate a 10" diagonal screen instead of the current 8" screen.

Make all the major ***** (climate dials, audio dials, 4x4 selector, and headlight switch) from real aluminum and give them a much more solid feel.

Add some additional sound proofing and the double-panel "Soundscreen" glass to the side windows and rear windows to make a quiet cab even more quiet.

Add mesh sun shades to the rear door windows and perhaps a power mesh sunshade to the rear window.

Add touchscreen monitors to the rear head rests and add an email and browser app to Sync3. The rear monitors could be used for normal Sync 3 functions like climate and audio (for rear) plus could allow rear passengers to check their email and connect to the internet via the standard LTE modem in the truck.

I realize the cost of these things would probably push the truck to over $100k, but hey...its a Limited, right?

Old 08-11-2017, 11:18 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
My guess is, FORD is already thinking on this. MB is launching trucks, last I heard would begin in the US for '18 and if its MB, you can bet its gonna up the ante on luxe...

Old 08-11-2017, 12:11 PM
theboom
Tuned
Nice responses so far, looks like we have mixed opinions. It has been mentioned that some people will want the center 5th seat that the console would get rid of, but it has also been mentioned that we could have the center console be a folding seat. I like this suggestion and I revise my idea to include it. Make it a little shorter than the front one so the base is even with the side seats and have the arm rest fold up to make a seat. Have the head rest mounted to the back panel near the glass instead of the consol so that when folded down it will look very similar to the front console. Have the top side designed like the arm rest in the front, and have the underside designed like the front seats. Keep the center piece completely separate from the seats like it is in the front though so we can still use the exact same seats in the rear as in the front. This would give the best of both worlds. Only thing it would give up is being able to fold up the seats and the under seat storage.

To trover's comment; yes I agree all that would be very nice to include. Heck a lot of that should be put in with a very small increase in price because the current platinum is nice, but it's not $80k nice. But the rest of the stuff you said could be added to the limited. I think it would sell well and I would personally want one.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:20 PM
theboom
Tuned
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
My guess is, FORD is already thinking on this. MB is launching trucks, last I heard would begin in the US for '18 and if its MB, you can bet its gonna up the ante on luxe...
Glad to see you think Ford is looking at this already. What are your thoughts on it? Also, I could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure the x class will not be for sale in the us.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:22 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by theboom
Glad to see you think Ford is looking at this already. What are your thoughts on it? Also, I could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure the x class will not be for sale in the us.
After some more research it appears that MB is rethinking coming to the US with the X verson.

Avg truck sales price in us is $32k, but the MB X truck sells at a US of $40k. Plus its not really a MB at all but built on a Renault-Nissan platform at Renault-Nissan plants in Spain and Argentina.

Now there is still rumblings that MB may kick it up a notch and try to compete with the SD and GM Denali. But it seems inner works of MB has a struggle going on. Sure they are a top dog in luxe, but can they mix SD level of truck and bring enough Luxe to the table to get buyers to switch brands. Jury still out and my guess if cooler heads prevail MB will leave the SD market to Ford who understands HD and Luxe at the same time. Besides "King Ranch" is already taken and that leaves MB with what...the 'Country Club Estate' model? How STYLISH!

Quick Reply: 2017+ super duty limited (or future high end trim) idea