Recon cab lights - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2017 Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recon cab lights

Old 08-10-2017, 10:34 AM
New User

swlakingranch is starting off with a positive reputation.
Recon cab lights

Has anyone installed the recon cab lights? Can we see some pics? I would like to hear some reviews before I buy them.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:00 AM
New User

Mfoltz is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm also wanting to know about this. I was about to order them until I found out that their glued down and you have to reglue the new ones. I'm OK with doing that but I was worried if something leaked and wouldn't be cover because I change them with after market lights.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:27 PM
New User

bwcidaho is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the smoked Recon white LED cab lights going on my Black Platinum 250. Waiting to install with my new tank and sending unit when they arrive.

I'll post some pics when it's done.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:44 AM
Senior User

Merlin053 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Merlin053 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Recon clear lens with amber LED on the left, factory on the right to show the difference. Siliconed the foam on the install, no leaks yet.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:12 AM
Posting Guru

17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by swlakingranch View Post
Has anyone installed the recon cab lights? Can we see some pics? I would like to hear some reviews before I buy them.
REAL question is: WHERE???

So far 3 dealers have turned me down because the moon roof "causes the lights to leak".

NO, the lights leak because you did a poor job of installing them.

Cost of the install on a non '17 is $450 -$600 based upon the 3 quotes I have got and then withdrawn...
Old 08-12-2017, 07:21 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks View Post
REAL question is: WHERE???

So far 3 dealers have turned me down because the moon roof "causes the lights to leak".

NO, the lights leak because you did a poor job of installing them.

Cost of the install on a non '17 is $450 -$600 based upon the 3 quotes I have got and then withdrawn...
I will be doing the install myself. My truck came with cab lights from the factory, I just don't care for the yellow. I would prefer smoked or clear of the recon lights. If you wanted to install them yourself there is a seller on eBay who sells the OEM lights, wiring, and even comes with a template.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:58 AM
Posting Guru

17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold17 Oaks is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by swlakingranch View Post
I will be doing the install myself. My truck came with cab lights from the factory, I just don't care for the yellow. I would prefer smoked or clear of the recon lights. If you wanted to install them yourself there is a seller on eBay who sells the OEM lights, wiring, and even comes with a template.
I am thinking the way to go on a fresh install is non-oem lights. The reason for this is thw 'square hole' that Ford punches in the roof. It is my guess that Ford does this to insure alignment and that the Alum does not wallow as much.

Alum is soft and you might note when its attached to they generally use pop rivets. They do that to keep tension on the to work pieces and to provide more contact than the threads of the screws. The other mitigation is to have a fairly thick gasket that is adhesive on both sides so it attaches to the light and the cab.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:49 AM
New User

Tearitin is starting off with a positive reputation.

I had a set of Recon lights installed in DFW. After market looks great, they don't leak. I just found out where the dealer was going to send the truck and took it myself, save about $300 from their cost. Out the door cost was about $400 installed. I took about 2 hours for them.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:15 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearitin View Post

I had a set of Recon lights installed in DFW. After market looks great, they don't leak. I just found out where the dealer was going to send the truck and took it myself, save about $300 from their cost. Out the door cost was about $400 installed. I took about 2 hours for them.
Do you have a moon roof, if so, NAME of the dealer that did the install...I will drive to Dallas to get it done...
Old 08-12-2017, 03:21 PM
New User

Quote:

Could you post some close up pics?

Thanks
Old 08-12-2017, 05:52 PM
New User

Tearitin is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes it does have a moonroof. Truck Toys on 35E in Farmers Branch is where it was done.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:43 PM
Junior User

willynilly is starting off with a positive reputation.
if you have to start from scratch and cut the holes i would check into the lights from a new ram. im not really a fan of cab lights but theyre clear , fairly low profile and the best looking out there imo
Old 08-12-2017, 08:28 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Yes it does have a moonroof. Truck Toys on 35E in Farmers Branch is where it was done.
Got it, lived in Farmers Branch for several years....

Sent them an e mail to lock in a time to have it down in Sept when I am there on business...

Thanks
Old 08-12-2017, 11:46 PM
New User

bscooter99 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:

These look to me like the old taller "bubble" style lights. Not the newest recon puts out. Can you confirm?
Old 08-13-2017, 01:11 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscooter99 View Post
These look to me like the old taller "bubble" style lights. Not the newest recon puts out. Can you confirm?
I think you are right, that's why I asked for a closer pic.