Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Battery Gauge Wiring

Old 08-08-2017, 07:50 PM
ct50f1
Elder User
ct50f1 is a splendid one to beholdct50f1 is a splendid one to beholdct50f1 is a splendid one to beholdct50f1 is a splendid one to beholdct50f1 is a splendid one to beholdct50f1 is a splendid one to beholdct50f1 is a splendid one to behold
Battery Gauge Wiring

When it comes to electricity I'm pretty ignorant so can someone explain to me how the battery gauge works? As I interpret the wiring diagram that came with my new wiring harness, the wire is not attached to the gauge but just passes through the metal loops on the back of the gauge on it's way to the circuit breakers. Is that right?

Old 08-08-2017, 08:05 PM
19mustang65
New User
19mustang65 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Its hard to answer without seeing the wiring diagram you are seeing.
Are you using factory or aftermarket gauges?
6v or 12v?

Old 08-08-2017, 08:13 PM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
raytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputation
The original amp meters on these trucks used an inductive system. Current flow thru the wire thru the loop on the rear of the meter causes the meter to deflect relative to the direction and strength of the flow.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:29 PM
FortyNiner
Postmaster
FortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud of
Yes, the wire is just fed through the loop on the back of the gauge. The wire must enter the loop as indicated by your wirig diagram otherwise the guage will not function properly.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:07 PM
ct50f1
Elder User
ct50f1 is a splendid one to beholdct50f1 is a splendid one to beholdct50f1 is a splendid one to beholdct50f1 is a splendid one to beholdct50f1 is a splendid one to beholdct50f1 is a splendid one to beholdct50f1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 19mustang65 View Post
Its hard to answer without seeing the wiring diagram you are seeing.
Are you using factory or aftermarket gauges?
6v or 12v?
I'm trying to keep things original - factory gauges and 6 volt.

Here's the diagram:

Old 08-09-2017, 02:10 PM
ct50f1
Elder User
Originally Posted by raytasch View Post
The original amp meters on these trucks used an inductive system. Current flow thru the wire thru the loop on the rear of the meter causes the meter to deflect relative to the direction and strength of the flow.
Ray,

Thanks for the explanation. Per DW, I'll have to check and see if I put it through in the right direction.

Dan

Old 08-09-2017, 06:54 PM
AZAV8
Senior User
AZAV8 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.AZAV8 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Safety Tip
Since the original meter was an AMP meter this is not the safest meter to use.
Please read the Tech Tip on page 116 of the Ron Francis Wiring Catalog about NOT using an amp meter.

Link to the catalog is here:
https://www.ronfrancis.com/images/2017_RFW_Catalog.pdf

You do not want that much current running through your dash panel.

Be safe out there.

Philip

Old 08-10-2017, 08:07 AM
FortyNiner
Postmaster
FortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by AZAV8 View Post
Safety Tip
Please read the Tech Tip on page 116 of the Ron Francis Wiring Catalog about NOT using an amp meter.

Be safe out there.

Philip
He's running the original 6 volt system - didn't go 12V, didn't go alternator. His amp meter isn't any more dangerous than as it left the factory in 1949. With all due respect to Ron Francis and his very capable staff - this particular tech note is vague at best.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:49 PM
ddiaz12
Senior User
ddiaz12 has a good reputation on FTE.ddiaz12 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by ct50f1 View Post
I'm trying to keep things original - factory gauges and 6 volt.

Here's the diagram:

Looks like you bought the same harness that I did. I believe somewhere on that chart you will see the manufacture (USA Made), you can give them a call, I did, and they will answer any questions. Great company.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:59 PM
ddiaz12
Senior User
ddiaz12 has a good reputation on FTE.ddiaz12 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by ddiaz12 View Post
Looks like you bought the same harness that I did. I believe somewhere on that chart you will see the manufacture (USA Made), you can give them a call, I did, and they will answer any questions. Great company.

Temporarily wiring it up to fire up the engine. I used a Multimeter to ensure no ends were hot.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:17 PM
ct50f1
Elder User
Safety Tip
Please read the Tech Tip on page 116 of the Ron Francis Wiring Catalog about NOT using an amp meter. Be safe out there. Philip
Philip, Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention. As DW has pointed out, this sounds like it's more of an issue for those who have upgraded their electrical system to 12 volts and are running an alternator. I think I'm going to risk it and stay with the original setup. Dan

Old 08-10-2017, 07:20 PM
ct50f1
Elder User
Originally Posted by ddiaz12 View Post
I agree, it seems to be a pretty good product, especially for someone like me who doesn't really know what he's doing. So far it's been easy to follow the diagram and everything seems to be falling into place without any problems.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:26 PM
Seaview1
New User
Seaview1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Where did you get the harness from. I am looking for one for my 52. Thanks!

Old 08-10-2017, 07:40 PM
ct50f1
Elder User
Originally Posted by Seaview1 View Post
Where did you get the harness from. I am looking for one for my 52. Thanks!
I bought it from Mac's. It's on page 46 of the current catalog. Make sure you get on their email list so you're notified of this weeks discount. It was 20% the day I bought it but it changes from week to week.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:22 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Safety Tip

Be safe out there.

Philip
Originally Posted by FortyNiner View Post
He's running the original 6 volt system - didn't go 12V, didn't go alternator. His amp meter isn't any more dangerous than it left the factory in 1949. With all due respect to Ron Francis and his very capable staff - this particulare tech note is vague at best.
There is a big difference between the inductive ammeters used on our trucks (48 - 52) and the shunt-type ammeters that have power running thru the ammeter. I would never run a shunt-type for many reasons, which I believe is what Ron Francis is trying to say (it is very confusing). Inductive ammeters are 100% safe.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery Gauge Wiring

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.