400 efi intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 11:12 PM
79f1501ton
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
400 efi intake

I'm working on swapping a 400 over to efi and saw some adapters to run a 351w intake on a 400. And was wondering if I'd have to do anything to the windser Intake where the thermostat mounts or will I be able to just bolt it on

Old 08-04-2017, 03:14 AM
KULTULZ
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation

-Price Motorsport Eng. Inc-

I would call this guy a call and see what info he has.

Please get back as this is very interesting...

Old 08-05-2017, 04:11 AM
79f1501ton
New User
I got a chance to call them today and they said I would have to change the way the way the coolant flows on the 400 which seems almost impossible besides swapping to windser heads or I could cut back the windser Intake and weld a plate on it so I'll probably do that. But another idea I had was to take a 400 intake and weld in some bungs for the injectors at work and make a adapter for the throttle body. But I'm kinda worried about not getting the bungs in right and having them leak

Old 08-05-2017, 05:23 AM
KULTULZ
Cargo Master
Unhappy

Originally Posted by 79f1501ton
I got a chance to call them today and they said I would have to change the way the way the coolant flows on the 400 which seems almost impossible besides swapping to windser heads or

I could cut back the windser Intake and weld a plate on it so I'll probably do that.

But another idea I had was to take a 400 intake and weld in some bungs for the injectors at work and make a adapter for the throttle body

But I'm kinda worried about not getting the bungs in right and having them leak
...hmmph...

You would think he could give you a reference to go to as there must be a demand for this adapter kit.

If you want to retain the OEM EFI/SEFI design, you will have to cut back the coolant crossover-

TrickFlow 351W Lower

TrickFlow 351C Lower

Valley sealing is not important as the kit includes a valley pan.

Many AM manufacturers offer a Single Plane Intake with injector bosses cast in. You just drill them out and insert bungs with epoxy. Then mount a throttle body on the carb pad. Of course you have to fabricate the rails and such (line material readily available).

IMO, the OEM approach will give better appearance and performance (EEC-IV).

There has to be someone who has done this and/or specializes in it.

Keep the board informed.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:01 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Yeah, the M-blocks have an exhaust crossover in the intake manifold whereas the Windsors have a coolant crossover there (in the front & rear of the block).

To implement a Windosr intake will mean rerouting the cooling system's flow through the block & heads, pay attention to what you're doing here

Old 08-08-2017, 09:24 PM
73XAFalcon
Elder User
If you use Price Motorsports adaptor plates to mount a 351W EFI intake on your 400, you WILL NOT need to reroute the cooling. The water passages of the Windsor intake are blocked by the spacer and even if the spacer did not block the intake water passage, there is NO corresponding water passage in the 400 head....so you essentially have a hole that goes nowhere.

There is another option, buy the Price spacers to mount a 351C intake to the 400 and then go buy the Trick Flow R-Series EFI upper and lower 351C intake.

https://www.trickflow.com/search/pro...or-conversions

Old 08-09-2017, 02:00 AM
KULTULZ
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 73XAFalcon

If you use Price Motorsports adaptor plates to mount a 351W EFI intake on your 400, you WILL NOT need to reroute the cooling. The water passages of the Windsor intake are blocked by the spacer and even if the spacer did not block the intake water passage, there is NO corresponding water passage in the 400 head....so you essentially have a hole that goes nowhere.
I think the concern(s) are the appearance and the possibility of interference between the W coolant crossover and the 335 thermostat housing/radiator hose.

Further 351W Needed Intake Mods Here- 351 Cleveland EFI Conversion - Innovation or Insanity - FordMuscle

There is another option, buy the Price spacers to mount a 351C intake to the 400 and then go buy the Trick Flow R-Series EFI upper and lower 351C intake.

https://www.trickflow.com/search/pro...or-conversions

EXCELLENT SUGGESTION! Forgot about that option...

Old 08-11-2017, 12:06 PM
79f1501ton
New User
Well it will be a while before I will do anything with the efi since I was getting coolant in the oil. which looks like it was just a bad seal between the timing cover and block. But I went ahead and tore the motor down to check everything. And the crank had a little spot that ate up the number 3 rod bearing. So I should be able to get it together in a week or 2 and start back on the efi

Old 08-11-2017, 02:52 PM
kopfenjager
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Any reason your not going to a system like Fitech or a holley sniper? My Fitech runs awesome and I think it would be a lot easier going that route than trying to tune a stock ecu. Just curious about your plans.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:36 PM
79f1501ton
New User
Well I could be wrong but my thinking was about reliability and parts availability. Because I know if one of the factory ford parts go bad I can just go to the parts store or junkyard and have it fixed in a day or two. But what happens if the ecu or something like that goes bad how long would it take to get the parts to fix it?

Old 08-11-2017, 10:52 PM
kopfenjager
Posting Guru
Well the ecu yes, but the rest of the parts are all oem chevy on the fitech. So yeah, if the ecu goes your down a couple days, but I doubt you can run to a parts store and get a factory ecu, they at least would have to order one , so your still down a couple of days and a tune. With that said, these things (efi) have become insanely reliable and I doubt a ecu regardless of who makes it, is a thing that's just going to just quite. Sure injectors and sensors go bad, but I never hear about ecu's going out on a regular basis. But I get the desire to be as reliable as possible. I'm more concerned my fuel command center is going to quite, than anything on my TBI unit.

Last edited by kopfenjager; 08-11-2017 at 11:01 PM. Reason: added more.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:26 AM
KULTULZ
Cargo Master
Post MAYBE CONSIDER THIS-

If you are thinking of going the TBI (Throttle Body Injection) route, read this-

1967 Ford Mustang EFI Conversion - FordMuscle

EDIT-

This system is not TBI but MPI/SEFI using mostly FORD EEC-IV parts. The only non-FORD components are the MAF and the ECU (FORD A9L re-burned).

Last edited by KULTULZ; 08-12-2017 at 05:39 PM. Reason: CORRECTION
Old 08-12-2017, 02:31 PM
kopfenjager
Posting Guru
My god, my fitech install was so much easier. Here is a article on a fitech install.

FiTech Reinvents EFI! How They Do It Better & Cheaper - Hot Rod Network

Old 08-12-2017, 05:28 PM
KULTULZ
Cargo Master
Question

Originally Posted by kopfenjager

My god...

What does your GOD have to do with it???

Is yours MAF?

Old 08-12-2017, 09:13 PM
kopfenjager
Posting Guru
I believe Fitech is MAP, but so much simpler to install than what your article had you doing. Now you get to tell me why your way is so much better, right?

Quick Reply: 400 efi intake