2021+ Bronco Discussion for the upcoming 2021 Ford Bronco!
View Poll Results: What should the new Bronco look like?
The first sleek protype
25.00%
A Mini Explorer
0%
Basic SUV
0%
Curvy exciting old style Bronco
87.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Bronco Bust!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 05:44 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Pulling back, it's good to see relative kids showing some passion about the historic value of the Bronco, despite its presence being pretty short compared to the Jeep, for example. And pretty inconsistent morphing from the little '66 version to the big '78.

Most Wranglers I see in my relatively affluent area are driven by high school kids (mostly girls) or middle-age crisis men and women who "wear" them instead of using them off road. Totally illogical vehicle for what they need, but they buy Jeeps anyway.

May we all get a Bronco from Ford that makes us want to buy one. In the long term, I care less about how a vehicle looks than how well it performs and how long it lasts. Guess we'll know more in a year and a half or so...

Old 11-12-2017, 11:21 AM
Fogcitysurfer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone please explain to me why the new Bronco can't be retro styled? Common sense and good business practice says that it will be. Look at the Mustang. Ford brought that back from the dead and it is a HUGE success. Right now Ford has the F150, Expedition, Explorer, Edge, all modern styling. Why not another retro looking vehicle? And if its going to compete with the Wrangler it has to be a serious off-roader. My guess, the new Bronco will be totally unique and a game changer like the Raptor. At least let me dream.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:31 PM
brawnk
New User
I agree FogCitySurfer. (cool icon btw) I believe you represent the majority. I see absolutely no sense at all in ‘bringing back the Bronco and giving us another 4-door bland suv. And not only has Ford seemed to do well with the 'retro'-Stang', take a look at the Camaro, and look at Dodge with the Challenger and Charger. They look cool and as far as the Camaro and Mustang, they run great on the track.
Also, check this out. Even Fiat-Chyrsler/Jeep acknowledge that it is important to respect the heritage.

Jeep Wrangler 2018 Designer Interview - Mark Allen Explains JL Redesign

Old 11-29-2017, 03:13 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
I'm fine with retro styling, but what does a classic Bronco look like?

The '66 original, the '78 full size dentside, the '80 box, the '87 aero?

I can look at a Jeep from WWII and see the resemblance to the current Wrangler. But put the 4 Broncos I mention above next to one another and tell me what styling cues are common to them besides a relatively short wheelbase, 2 doors, and some part of the top that comes off... I don't think we'll get a really short wheelbase for safety/stability purposes. Doubt we'll get solid axles but we shall see...

I've been a fan of pony cars since the '64 Mustang was introduced on my 12th birthday and agree there are *some* similar styling cues on the new ones but the Challenger looks more like an old 'Cuda, and the Mustang and Camaro are definitely new cars with a few nods to the old design. (I know the GM designer who did the Camaro dashboard with the triple humps to mimic the oldie.) But the Charger is currently a 4 door cop car that has nothing to do with the '68 coke bottle 2 door classic.

Still waiting for some spy pics or advance word...if they get it right, I'm likely a buyer

George

Old 11-29-2017, 03:52 PM
brawnk
New User
YoGeorge
As I indicated in a previous post, I don't mind whether Ford would take cues from the 66 to 77 Bronco or the 78 through 96. I don't know what an 80 box is or 87 aero.
I see where you are coming from on the Charger. I still feel it has a retro vibe, but not to an old Charger. I believe Dodge really took a cue from the old Challenger. I think the old Challenger wasn't that far off some of the Baracudas. Eye of the beholder.
But I can definitely see some of the early (68 - 69 ish) Mustang and early Camaro in today's counter parts. And, I like them too.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:51 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
It's all good but the new Charger has no direct retro vibe I can see aside from a bit of coke bottle curve.

The 78-79 Bronco had the look of the 73-79 dentside pickups--I had a 78 F100 that I bought new. In 80, they changed the body completely to slab sides, and 87-96 got more aero looking. Check out some Internet photos when you have time.

Old Challenger and Cuda were very similar but Challenger had a big outward crease on the side beltline sculpting (that I disliked) and the old Cuda and current Challenger have smooth sides with a gentle coke bottle crease which I prefer. Definitely the best retro vibe IMO; I always liked Mopar performance cars back in the day. The 70+ Cuda was based on a shortened B Body platform so it was wider to fit the big engines, and the current Challenger has that same wide and chunky look. New Mustangs are pretty cool but have swollen front ends to meet the pedestrian crash requirements (air space between hood and top of engine). Old pony cars had long, low hoods.

I don't mind the vintage vibe in ponycars but find the 66 Bronco frumpy and reminiscent of an old Falcon (look at a pic of the STOCK 66 Bronco with little tires). I like the 78-79 dentside because that says "Ford Truck" to me.

After 79 the Bronco was kind of bland and boring and IMO not worth copying in terms of body lines although the short wheelbase/tall SUV look was cool. They all look cooler with giant mudder tires and stuff, but we ain't gonna get that.

I'm a big fan of auto design and you should actually look at the different generations of Broncos and see what I'm talking about. You don't have to agree with my impressions, but you can't lump the 78-96 together. 78-79, 80-86, and 87-96 are the generations.

So I'll push for the 78-79 vibe

Old 12-22-2017, 10:22 AM
Deez-67
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I have faith in the Ford designers not a lot but enough to wait and see what they come up with. Bring back a name like Bronco can not be an easy task. As times have changed so must the idea of want a bronco is. We know it's not going to be a full size and we have heard it's not going to be a two door. That right there has a lot of pure bronco lovers turned off but if they can give us something that's tuff looking and performs then I'm in. Also I sure pray it's got a V8 option!!

Old 12-27-2017, 12:49 PM
wheelerfreak
Tuned
Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
I’d be shocked if they make it a Wrangler competitor, like solid axles and body on frame etc.

I’m expecting a unibody with at least IFS and possibly IRS as well with V6 power. I honestly believe people want the look but not the ride characteristics of a Wrangler type vehicle. I’d also expect just enough of a retro look that if you squint in the dark it will resemble the original Bronco.

I’ll never sell my ‘73, but I don’t think that type of vehicle would sell today.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:04 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
It won't be a unibody....it will be built in the same plant as the Ranger in Wayne, MI, and will at least partially be based on the Everest which is a Ranger variant sold in Australia and other countries. These are body/frame vehicles.

It will likely have Ecoboost 4 cylinders and/or 6 cylinder engines. The new 2018-1/2 Wrangler has the existing Pentastar V6 and a turbo 4 cyl option. Anyone expecting a V8 is not being realistic--there is no V8 option in the Expedition or Navigator, which are much larger and heavier vehicles. Nor is a V8 offered in Ford's flagship Raptor pickup.

Old 06-20-2020, 07:15 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
It won't be a unibody....it will be built in the same plant as the Ranger in Wayne, MI, and will at least partially be based on the Everest which is a Ranger variant sold in Australia and other countries. These are body/frame vehicles.

It will likely have Ecoboost 4 cylinders and/or 6 cylinder engines. The new 2018-1/2 Wrangler has the existing Pentastar V6 and a turbo 4 cyl option. Anyone expecting a V8 is not being realistic--there is no V8 option in the Expedition or Navigator, which are much larger and heavier vehicles. Nor is a V8 offered in Ford's flagship Raptor pickup.

I wonder how the OP feels about the Bronco now?

Old 06-21-2020, 07:23 AM
brawnk
New User
I am still hopeful. I am bewildered that they have been teasing about the new Bronco for years at this point, and still haven't shown it to us. Even if they want to blame coronavirus, they must know what its looks like by now. Show it to us and let us order them, if it turns out to be anything we want to order.
As far as making it respect what the Bronco represents to a lot of us, I don't think its a very difficult task. So many people buy in to the idea that Ford just can't build the Bronco the way we want it because it won't sell. I do not agree. It doesn't even make sense.

If Ford builds a truck (even a full size) that is tough and looks tough and cool, people will buy it. I live in Fort Lauderdale. We really don't have that much need around here for big trucks... perhaps people that make a living as a contractor and maybe those that tow a boat. But we have lots and lots of lifted Fords w huge diesels, plenty are F-350s, and they sell them like hot cakes. They are all over.
Same for the Mustang... its cool and fast and people buy them. Look at the Jeep. People buy them. Do they need these cars? No. They buy them because they like them.
If they are going to bring back the name Bronco, build what Bronco people want. Otherwise, why bother? Why add another suv to the line that is the same ole?
Did you see what Chevy did w the Blazer? Lame.... once again, why bother. If they build something lame, it will just turn me off. I still like my 96 anyway

Old 06-21-2020, 05:33 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The Bronco was alive when 4 door trucks, SUVs and other vehicles were sought after. Most of us needed to haul our family around, hence 4 door vehicles. The market demanded such things. Now our children are adults and we can (possibly) afford items like the

New Bronco. Like you I have a 1996 FSB in the carport and I will never sell it, I am sure my son will take possession of it later. I will buy a new Bronco and I am sure it will serve our family well.

Bronco has been an icon for many years and I am sure FOMOCO wanted to do it right. Even if people are not car or truck enthusiasts, they know what a Ford Bronco is.

There is a song that is performed by a local musical group that uses the line with the phrase

"In the country
Yah that's where you'll find me
In the front seat mmm that bronco baby"