1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

V3 Rebuilding my truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 12:12 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Man that sucks Mike, hope it all ends well and the bill don't hit the clouds.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:11 PM
mcali2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So far nothing. Drove by and the truck was gone. Test driving it? That was yesterday. I wish when I did my seats I would have sat in them first. The 04 seats suck. They look great but are hard as hell. Lucky for me I have lost track of the cost now. It's between 25 and 30k another 4000.00 for paint and body and me doing the work. Sticks, turbo, water injection, custom tunes and I'm done. Except maybe a the kit for the front end springs for a better ride, trans and engine if and when I have to. This truck needs to last another 10 years.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:17 PM
mcali2
Posting Guru
I have some extra good parts , Hard fuel lines, soft fuel lines. I just bought some before finding them. good front fuel tank. other stuff from the rear half of the truck.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:13 PM
mcali2
Posting Guru
Well it was crazy. The manifolds had to be cut off from behind the flange. The bolts would not slide off the studs after bolt heads were cut. It was like they were welded in there. 3 days to get them done. I guess it was heat and oil over and over as they did not snap a stud off inside the block. They did replace the exhaust pressure valve pressure line as the old one was rusted in half. I told them it was deleted and welded shut.... Oh well 50$ and labor for that puppy. Ouch. I let it go as they only charged me 80.00 for the trans service. I was told it was 160.00 before they did it. Runs good. sounds different. I think i hear a ping but that may be the down pipe hitting.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:29 PM
mcali2
Posting Guru
They serviced the trans and i just took it out for a real drive and it is so much better. I don't know what they did but wow.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:05 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I like that coolant filter location. What bracket do you have holding it up?

Old 08-18-2017, 11:45 AM
mcali2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Jarrett Campbell
I like that coolant filter location. What bracket do you have holding it up?
its the basic kit sold on ebay or rifraff I believe. the bracket holds the filter in the other direction towards the degas bottle. I just flipped it over. had to file a little and I think I opened up one bolt hole a little to make it fit. The down side it to remove the filter I have to pull the bracket. I'm not sure if I need to now with the fuel bowl gone.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:46 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Gotcha. You might want to remove it anyway to keep from spilling coolant all over the engine. I have mine mounted on the firewall like Dieselsite says to do but I am not too enthused with the location. I might move it around at some point.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:33 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by Jarrett Campbell
Gotcha. You might want to remove it anyway to keep from spilling coolant all over the engine. I have mine mounted on the firewall like Dieselsite says to do but I am not too enthused with the location. I might move it around at some point.
Maybe this helps you a little:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ilter-kit.html

Old 08-23-2017, 11:23 AM
mcali2
Posting Guru
Well an update. My truck is running really good now. A lot more power. More boost and faster starting. I'm not sure what or how that is. Was it the E fuel or all new stuff to the turbo. There was a leak for sure but that much? Anyhow. I am off to rust and body work now. about 2000.00 spent yesterday on pant and body materials. I still nee to build a paint booth. Uggggg

Old 08-24-2017, 11:38 AM
mcali2
Posting Guru
I started cutting out cancer last night. I found more . It had a nice layer of body filler over it. In some ways not as bad as it could be. I will need to fab up some inner steel panels for the new outer steel to attach to. I really need to tear the truck down but still need it for hunting season... Well I want it more than need. I can use my f150 but then I'm tent camping in winter.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:22 PM
mcali2
Posting Guru
Major score today. A great set of complete front doors, another sliding rear window, and other stuff. 90.00 I have not picked the stuff up yet but found it on facebook. the photos look great. I don't really need new doors but they look much better condition and i can sand and paint them beforehand and when Im ready to paint the body the doors will already be done. New fender, new doors, new hood, new bed, sliding glass all for under 600.00

Old 08-27-2017, 11:02 PM
mcali2
Posting Guru
Up date to score. Turned out they have some damage but with some work I was able to get them looking good. I did get another sliding window. I don't need. Anyone need a slider? I am adding the Chevy mirrors to the new doors. Yah Yah hate all you like. It will look better from the outside I do like using my wing windows if the AC has stopped working but oh well. I need towing mirriors that are not in the center of my door.

My plan is to Paint all the extra parts I have first. get the front doors ready and painted. I need to rebuild the hinges.
Paint the fenders bed and hood.

When that is all ready. I can strip the truck down and junk the old rusty parts. remove the rear doors and do them and the body last. I have started the work and will get some photos. for now back to the how to stuff on youtube.

For you haters. I will be rebuilding the original doors and keeping them on hand in case I hate it LOL

Old 08-28-2017, 12:01 AM
nateairman
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by mcali2
For you haters. I will be rebuilding the original doors and keeping them on hand in case I hate it LOL
I kept a set of doors for the same reason! But I used Dodge mirrors@

Old 08-28-2017, 09:29 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
If you do it right, you can use the chevy mirrors and still keep function of your wing windows.

Just a thought.

Quick Reply: V3 Rebuilding my truck