1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Air dog or something better

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 09:47 AM
funzjb1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air dog or something better

I have a 1997 f350 CC 7.3 turbo with about 235000 mi on it. About a month ago I put on a air dog 2 set up on my truck I got from Riffraff diesel. This thing is a huge dissapointment first one I could not get over 45 psi fuel pressure, called factory they sent me a new one that work fine where I live in PNW. ( seattle area) but on a road to Phoenix where I drove into 118 degree heat the pump had issues with the heat and as it ran the pump got hotterm ( enough you could not put your hand on it) from that point on it had pressure fade problems really bad ( goes from 50 psi to 10 psi ) in a very short amount of time. I thought it might be plug filters, water seperators, plugged fuel lines but after going through numerous filters and seperators in a very short time. I unplugged factory feed line and ran straight from clean diesel can. Still same problem. If you let sit and cool down the pressure returns but fades out when heats up again. I am using their wiring harness and it is done to their instructions. So when I drive it I can not go more than a mile then presume fades out and it's fuel starved. So right now I am stuck in Las Vegas area trying to get back to seattle. My question is..... is there a better fuel system out there than airdog. I read some reviews on line and they were just brutal about airdog and how they went cheap on parts and numerous pump failures. I have many power adders so stock is not going to cut it.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:40 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by funzjb1
I have a 1997 f350 CC 7.3 turbo with about 235000 mi on it. About a month ago I put on a air dog 2 set up on my truck I got from Riffraff diesel. This thing is a huge dissapointment first one I could not get over 45 psi fuel pressure, called factory they sent me a new one that work fine where I live in PNW. ( seattle area) but on a road to Phoenix where I drove into 118 degree heat the pump had issues with the heat and as it ran the pump got hotterm ( enough you could not put your hand on it) from that point on it had pressure fade problems really bad ( goes from 50 psi to 10 psi ) in a very short amount of time. I thought it might be plug filters, water seperators, plugged fuel lines but after going through numerous filters and seperators in a very short time. I unplugged factory feed line and ran straight from clean diesel can. Still same problem. If you let sit and cool down the pressure returns but fades out when heats up again. I am using their wiring harness and it is done to their instructions. So when I drive it I can not go more than a mile then presume fades out and it's fuel starved. So right now I am stuck in Las Vegas area trying to get back to seattle. My question is..... is there a better fuel system out there than airdog. I read some reviews on line and they were just brutal about airdog and how they went cheap on parts and numerous pump failures. I have many power adders so stock is not going to cut it.

I have never seen an airdog on a 7.3 and always assumed Fass and Airdog were for low pressure high volume lift on a duramax or cummins that is then hit by a high pressure pump for the rail.

First, at least you are stuck in vegas!

Secondly, go buy a cheap parts store pump to get home.

The GSL-392 or Bosch 044 are both relatively cheap pumps that can be found at some parts stores but either off summit racing or amazon. The chinese have started knocking off both so beware of amazon or ebay...i had a knock off 044 that lasted 5k miles, and the current one is at 168k, the gsl went 40k, and was removed eventhough not bad.

If you are not needing big fuel than a stock 90$ SD fuel pump will work as well... and its reliable, so far the bosch and walbro both have been so as well. The Bosch is just 10x louder.

In general diesel site or strictly diesel offer a solid out of the box setup for our trucks.... building one can be done for half of the cost...

Old 07-24-2017, 01:41 PM
7.3 forever
Fleet Mechanic
Received 156 Likes on 112 Posts
If your just trying to make it home you could disconnect the pump lines and by a super duty pump and a inline filter to make it home possibly if you don't have many tools and are just trying to make it home I also believe there's some Bosch 044 pump options if you are wanting to do away with the air dog

Old 07-26-2017, 09:25 PM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
As mentioned, a stock SD electric pump should get you home pretty easily. Then you can sort out the problems with the air dog

Old 07-27-2017, 11:00 AM
ty_rod
Freshman User
The AirDog is a high volume, low pressure pump.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:36 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
My efuel system came with a stock SD pump and easily maintained 65psi with stage 1 sticks and volumptious fuel maps. I can't even tell if it is pumping when I am out of the truck and the truck is not running. Super quiet and very available at every parts house.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:41 PM
ty_rod
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Jarrett Campbell
My efuel system came with a stock SD pump and easily maintained 65psi with stage 1 sticks and volumptious fuel maps. I can't even tell if it is pumping when I am out of the truck and the truck is not running. Super quiet and very available at every parts house.
Which efuel system? I need to do my efuel conversion soon

Old 07-27-2017, 01:10 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Strictly Diesel. It is spendy and you have to pull the turbo but I did my up pipes, efuel, downpipe, and lots of cleaning all at the same time so it all worked out.

https://www.strictlydiesel.com/p-343...el-system.aspx

Great customer support and awesome shipping and service. I also got a free t-shirt and sticker.