Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.8w roller build / MAF & Fuel Sys Setup.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 02:27 PM
Badlildoggy
Trailering
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.8w roller build / MAF & Fuel Sys Setup.

Good Day Gents,
I am a first time poster and I just want to say thanks to all who have shared their knowledge and experience on this forum, I have spent hours reading here and the information has been invaluable. I am starting a performance / torque build on a roller 351w and I think I have a bit of a handle on what is required to get it off the ground but yet I still have a few questions and I was hoping to get the green light blessing from the pros on my parts selection. Goal is to have 320-350hp & 400lbs + torque on a daily driver that can head off into the bush and get buried in a beaver dam LOL.

Truck is 88 F150 Supercab Shortbox 4x4, 3.55 gears, 33inch Tires. Originally equipped with SD 302 and MR52 5-Speed. I plan to do the MAF Conversion.

I am transplanting a 94- 351w Roller build & ZF5 speed manual.

Engine Build Components include : 0.020 over bore
KB379 , 15cc Pistons - 9.5-1 +/- Comp Ratio
Comp Cams 35-320-8 Roller Cam ( Good MAF cam recommended by Mr.Conanski on prev thread)
GT40 Irons from 97 Explorer, Comp Matching Valve Springs and 1.7 RR
Qualifier EFI Intake ( I will port match this)
Pace Setter Long Tubes, 2.5in Y pipe into single 3in out pipe.

Now for my questions:

I am confident I can make a good MAF harness with the Parts I have around. I will have to however purchase a rebuilt ECU and MAF Meter, and wideband o2sensor(s). I realize that this combo will have to be custom tuned at a later date to realize its full potential. If a pro were to purchase the best and most economical ECU (From Rock Auto or bumper to bumper) for my application, which one would it be? Keeping in mind that I plan to purchase the Quarter Horse or Tweecer or applicable tuning tools and learn to use them.

Also, With the Single 70mm Throttle body port on the Qualifier, what Throttle body set-up would you use?

And finally, please recommend Fuel System Component Set-up. From my research, I believe will be on the edge for using 24# injectors so would you recommend 30# ? That being said, where do I find a matched MAF Meter and what size do I use?

Will my Fuel Pumps / Regulator either in Tank or on frame need to be upgraded? If so could you please recommend Parts.

I have built a few toilet bowl engines in the past so I am pretty wrench handy however this is my first EFI so I have much to learn about the EFI / CPU system as a whole. I imagine many challenges ahead.

Thank you again for any advice.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:28 PM
Glaser67
Tuned
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Badlildoggy
Good Day Gents,
I am a first time poster and I just want to say thanks to all who have shared their knowledge and experience on this forum, I have spent hours reading here and the information has been invaluable. I am starting a performance / torque build on a roller 351w and I think I have a bit of a handle on what is required to get it off the ground but yet I still have a few questions and I was hoping to get the green light blessing from the pros on my parts selection. Goal is to have 320-350hp & 400lbs + torque on a daily driver that can head off into the bush and get buried in a beaver dam LOL.

Truck is 88 F150 Supercab Shortbox 4x4, 3.55 gears, 33inch Tires. Originally equipped with SD 302 and MR52 5-Speed. I plan to do the MAF Conversion.

I am transplanting a 94- 351w Roller build & ZF5 speed manual.

Engine Build Components include : 0.020 over bore
KB379 , 15cc Pistons - 9.5-1 +/- Comp Ratio
Comp Cams 35-320-8 Roller Cam ( Good MAF cam recommended by Mr.Conanski on prev thread)
GT40 Irons from 97 Explorer, Comp Matching Valve Springs and 1.7 RR
Qualifier EFI Intake ( I will port match this)
Pace Setter Long Tubes, 2.5in Y pipe into single 3in out pipe.

Now for my questions:

I am confident I can make a good MAF harness with the Parts I have around. I will have to however purchase a rebuilt ECU and MAF Meter, and wideband o2sensor(s). I realize that this combo will have to be custom tuned at a later date to realize its full potential. If a pro were to purchase the best and most economical ECU (From Rock Auto or bumper to bumper) for my application, which one would it be? Keeping in mind that I plan to purchase the Quarter Horse or Tweecer or applicable tuning tools and learn to use them.

The MAF ECM does not read wideband's, only oem style narrow band sensors. A wideband will help you monitor lambda and for tuning. You need to make sure the O2's you use are correct for the ECM, as if your harness is wrong, it could fry it. If using your existing harness, should be OK. Side note, you can keep the single narrowband O2 and jump the signal wire to the 2nd input. Computer trims both fuel banks the same so it wont know the difference.

Also, With the Single 70mm Throttle body port on the Qualifier, what Throttle body set-up would you use?

And finally, please recommend Fuel System Component Set-up. From my research, I believe will be on the edge for using 24# injectors so would you recommend 30# ? That being said, where do I find a matched MAF Meter and what size do I use?

I would recommend an aftermarket FPR to dial in the FP which will aloow you to get the max out of your 19's. I am happy with my AEM but it wasn't cheap. I added the C&L 73mm with the sample tube applicable to my intake setup, but there are other option. A stock mustang one will be a bottleneck at upper RPMs. I would recommend sticking with the 19's at first just to get you up and running (assuming this is your DD) then go from there. Sure a "calibrated" MAF SHOULD work, for my build it was more important to get it up and running and systematically add to the EFI from a solid foundation.

Will my Fuel Pumps / Regulator either in Tank or on frame need to be upgraded? If so could you please recommend Parts.

Recommend AEM FPR

I have built a few toilet bowl engines in the past so I am pretty wrench handy however this is my first EFI so I have much to learn about the EFI / CPU system as a whole. I imagine many challenges ahead.

Thank you again for any advice.
Hope this helps!
-Glaser67

Old 07-17-2017, 03:42 PM
Badlildoggy
Trailering
Thanks...

Thanksfor the heads up on the 02 sensor, any thoughts on the best / most available/ecu for my application?

Junk yards are are not the best option for me, these old girls aren't going through very often in my area anymore so ordering is better for me.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:56 PM
Glaser67
Tuned
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
The two ways to go are either with a manual MAF truck ECM for a 302 or 351, which may or may not exist (outside of a california unicorn truck) or out of a mustang. I've read that an automatic (example: A9P) will work in a manual, but a A9L is the preferred. At first I used a reman mustang unit and dont know if it was out of a manual or automatic, and it worked fine. Myslef, like you, plans on tuning down the road so I opted for a A9L off ebay. Was about $300...but is perhaps the most widely supported ECM. It is mandatory that it be OBD1 60 pin btw.

If you choose the mustang ECM route PM me...

Old 07-17-2017, 04:28 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The computer that would require the least amount of wiring harness rework would be a 94-95 F-150 California computer. Generally they were only on automatics, but if you go ahead and purchase the tuning software now, you can just turn off the automatic transmission functions.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:21 PM
Badlildoggy
Trailering
Not a daily driver...,yet

Solid info fellas thanks a bunch, I believe I can get a Reman A9L equivalent, I will grab that. This is not my current daily driver but my goal is to restore the truck and build it to be a driver.

With regard to the 19# injectors, I don't believe those will be adequate in the big picture will they? I would sooner assemble it with the final/correct parts off the hop.

I am trying to stay reasonably budget conscious however I will buy whatever is necessary off the start to try to achieve my goals.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:26 PM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 161 Likes on 129 Posts
The rule of thumb I came across in my researching was that 19lb/hr is nearing 100% duty cycle for 300hp, higher than that power and you'll likely need more pressure (to squeeze a bit more fuel through them) or larger injectors. If you're tuning with Moates anyway, I would opt for larger injectors.

Sounds like a fun project.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:14 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 965 Likes on 763 Posts
Considering this was a 5-speed truck to begin with I think the best PCM option would be something from the Mustang A9L or A9P familys.. there are other catch codes that will work too. There are a few pins that have to be moved in the truck PCM connector but that isn't hard to do, and these computers are compatible with aftermarket tuners like the Moates Quarterhorse which this build will need. The motor will require 24lb or 30lb injectors and a large MAF meter but adding those is also no big deal with a tuner you just need the MAF transfer function.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:59 AM
Badlildoggy
Trailering
Thanks a million Fellas....

Thanks a million fellas, I will proceed with the plan.

Old 08-30-2023, 10:13 PM
Dkreinhart
2nd Gear
I know I’m digging up bones here but Badlildoggy, did you ever finish this build? I just threw together something very similar and was trying to run it on a HUG2 ecm from a maf 5.0 w/auto trans. What ecm did you go with and what size injectors? Did you tune it with anything?

Old 08-30-2023, 10:40 PM
Badlildoggy
Trailering
Sadly no mate, this engine is on a stand in the part of my shop where projects go to die….

Best of luck!

Originally Posted by Dkreinhart
I know I’m digging up bones here but Badlildoggy, did you ever finish this build? I just threw together something very similar and was trying to run it on a HUG2 ecm from a maf 5.0 w/auto trans. What ecm did you go with and what size injectors? Did you tune it with anything?

Old 08-31-2023, 11:02 AM
Mikulh
Laughing Gas
Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I did a similar 351W build and powered it with a PimpX Ecu. Here's a link to my build thread...
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...x-install.html

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-31-2023, 11:21 AM
Dkreinhart
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mikulh
I did a similar 351W build and powered it with a PimpX Ecu. Here's a link to my build thread...
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...x-install.html
ivam so glad you chimed in. I was just looking at their website and was trying to convince myself to pull the trigger and just go that route. I think the bogging issues I am having are related to the ecu and maf sensor on this setup.

Old 08-31-2023, 11:25 AM
Mikulh
Laughing Gas
Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I should mention that I'm running just the plain PimpX (no trans control) since my truck has a 5-speed, but there are a couple of users here (Scndsin and Ellie Mae, I think) that are running their trucks using the PimpXShift which also controls the transmission.

Old 08-31-2023, 12:19 PM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts