1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Free truck! How would you proceed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 08:18 AM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ron94150
If your not pulling are darting, a turn or two on the drag link should center your wheel. Spray it a few times for a few days with penetrating oil before you attempt it though.
It was worse before the alignment, but new tires did not change it noticeably (those did get rid of the tramp and vibration).

The steering wheel is still a bit to the left when driving straight. The truck does pull slightly to the right.

I'll look at the drag link, and how it might change the geometry. Still think wheel centering is part of a good alignment job, and this one was performed at a dealership. I do recognize it was way off when I brought it in, and one of the front tires had a lot more wear than the other.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:53 AM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
That is how you center the steering wheel on these trucks.

Not sure on the older ones, but the newer trucks, the steering wheel will only go in one spot, can't change it.

Old 12-27-2017, 05:50 PM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
It's too cold to crawl under and look right now, besides I'm still battling my cold start problem.

In addition to the findings this morning (documented in that thread), I learned today that I need new hood struts. Fortunately, I was not under the hood when it dropped on its own due to the cold; my multimeter was not damaged either! Until I get new struts, I'm using a broom to hold the hood open.

One other reason for this post... I had enough posts a long time ago to be able to have a signature. This is post #341. Finally created one, and I want to see how it looks.

ETA: Signature is good enough for now. I'll add a picture at some point. Thanks all for everyone's help getting me through through issues and learning about my "free" truck.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:18 PM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
A hopefully quick and short side thread on how to safely disconnect batteries for electrical service:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post17683578

Old 12-27-2017, 09:04 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Add your engine model to your signature.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:12 AM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FiznUKa
Add your engine model to your signature.
Thanks! Done.

ETA: Also added SRW. I'll add the aftermarket mods later.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:03 PM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
Warn winch controller through Amazon.com: $72.57
Amazon Amazon

GPR-109 (Glow Plug Relay) and anti-gel at Napa: $37.84

Winch works, anti-gel added to tank, GPR in the box sitting on passenger seat.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:35 PM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
GPR replaced. The old one disintegrated during the swap (pic in the cold-start breakout thread).

Truck started on the 3rd try, it''s been sitting for days and the block heater was not plugged in.

Got more to do, including all fluids (engine oil and brake flush are priorities). But if it starts on Tuesday morning, I'm not going to worry further about the glow plug system. I will plug it in the night before though... Overnight low for then projected to be 4 degrees.

Old 12-31-2017, 06:15 PM
JEB63
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice read, Keep the information flowing. Happy New Years

Old 02-15-2018, 12:21 AM
av8or1
Senior User
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Good read DogRidesInBack. Thank you for the link!
Jerry

Old 03-07-2018, 08:44 AM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
Another breakout thread regarding payload capacity. 3,600 pounds in the bed, with pics:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post17847219

Old 03-16-2018, 05:55 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
I would get the alignment taken care of first due to the cost of the brand new tires you just put on there. Nice work so far! You found a nice truck for a great price. Keep us posted!

Old 03-16-2018, 06:57 PM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
Alignment was done before tires (at the same time as the carrier bearing).

But an update is in order.

Much earlier, I reported that the truck pulls right, and I have to hold the steering wheel a bit left when at cruising speed. This is still true though not as bad as before the alignment, But now I have found when coming to a stop, the truck straightens out perfectly and the steering wheel is absolutely centered when I am at a full stop.

Which means that if an alignment shop were to pull it into the bay, the technician will find the steering center and alignment are correct. So not sure now if there is a problem or if I'm just sensitive and it is the nature of the beast. Not that I expect Mercedes perfection, I know this is not a Mercedes. But it does pull a bit and it is not the tires (replaced) or air pressure (checked both sets of tires) or any of the typical front end wear parts (first it passed my inspection, then Firestone checked it over, and finally the dealership which aligned it also inspected it).

Even the steering box has no significant play. Could use shocks, but I don't think they would cause the symptom. Anyway, I'll be rotating the tires "soon" along with taking care of the overdue oil change. No signs of tramping yet (cupping) but the road noise has increased in the last few hundred miles. I do know worn shocks can cause that.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:27 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by DogRidesInBack
Alignment was done before tires (at the same time as the carrier bearing).

But an update is in order.

Much earlier, I reported that the truck pulls right, and I have to hold the steering wheel a bit left when at cruising speed. This is still true though not as bad as before the alignment, But now I have found when coming to a stop, the truck straightens out perfectly and the steering wheel is absolutely centered when I am at a full stop.

Which means that if an alignment shop were to pull it into the bay, the technician will find the steering center and alignment are correct. So not sure now if there is a problem or if I'm just sensitive and it is the nature of the beast. Not that I expect Mercedes perfection, I know this is not a Mercedes. But it does pull a bit and it is not the tires (replaced) or air pressure (checked both sets of tires) or any of the typical front end wear parts (first it passed my inspection, then Firestone checked it over, and finally the dealership which aligned it also inspected it).

Even the steering box has no significant play. Could use shocks, but I don't think they would cause the symptom. Anyway, I'll be rotating the tires "soon" along with taking care of the overdue oil change. No signs of tramping yet (cupping) but the road noise has increased in the last few hundred miles. I do know worn shocks can cause that.
You might be on to something. Shocks can definitely cause cupping and also slight pulling. I have seen that before,especially if one is blown on either side. Ask me how I know.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:24 AM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe I missed it but have you checked for a stuck caliper or slide pins. Those will cause a pull to one side.

Quick Reply: Free truck! How would you proceed?