2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Anyone use a deionizer for washing their truck?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 04:07 PM
RJC2
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone use a deionizer for washing their truck?

Washing this truck and getting it dry before water spots show up is nearly impossible. I've been kicking around the idea of buying a deionizer to stop the spotting. CR and Go Spotless make them and Griot's Garage sells another. (see links)
Does anyone have experience with these to make a recommendation. They're not cheap.

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...e=&from=Search

Old 07-09-2017, 04:48 PM
467echo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just rent one from a local company. Its a 14 inch mixed bed tank and it cost about $30 a month and have to exchange it about once a year. Exchange is $85 delivered to my house. Keeps all my cars clean and easy to wash!

Old 07-09-2017, 04:58 PM
FmaxTurboSi
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think DetailedImage also sells the same units. I've heard good things about them, but they're pricey.

I won't pull the trigger until I get a trailer/5th wheel. In the meantime, I'll continue to wake up before the sun comes out and wash it before it gets too hot.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:05 PM
dtherrien
Senior User
I have well water. The guy that details my truck once a year said use a leaf blower. It works great.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:16 PM
xxxsherpa
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dtherrien
I have well water. The guy that details my truck once a year said use a leaf blower. It works great.
How come I didn't think of that!

Old 07-09-2017, 05:48 PM
Wes Hightower
Elder User
I use a leaf blower to dry off my bikes, works like a champ and gets the water out of places you could never reach without it.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:35 PM
gary 5th wheel
Junior User
Ok to use one of these in conjunction with a pressure washer?

Old 07-09-2017, 06:58 PM
RJC2
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by dtherrien
I use a very powerful leaf blower. While it does get much of it off, it just makes the water dry REAL fast and the spots appear twice as fast in most places.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:30 PM
bushpilot
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been researching DI rinse systems recently - Im convinced i can build my own for about 1/2 the cost of even the cheapest (1/2 cubic yard) system....BUT...

i think for best performance you have to have a water softener in conjunction with the DI rinse.

I can't find anyone that will tell me based on my TDS level how long 1 cubic yard of the DI resin will last.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:41 PM
Odad
New User
I have the On The Go that you posted. It's worth every penny to me. No more drying unless you just want to. No water spots anywhere. Even under the mirrors where water continuously drips. I'll wash a vehicle with tap water then rinse it good with the deionizer. The resin will last a 1.5 years or so before it needs changing. It even comes with a tester to test the water with. Very simple.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:54 PM
bushpilot
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Odad
I have the On The Go that you posted. It's worth every penny to me. No more drying unless you just want to. No water spots anywhere. Even under the mirrors where water continuously drips. I'll wash a vehicle with tap water then rinse it good with the deionizer. The resin will last a 1.5 years or so before it needs changing. It even comes with a tester to test the water with. Very simple.
what is the TDS of your water - before and after it goes thru the resin?

a TDS meter is less than 20 bucks.

the TDS numbers along with how often and how many GALLONS of water you use during a rinse are the only way to determine how long the resin will last.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:31 PM
USSenator
Elder User
Originally Posted by RJC2
Washing this truck and getting it dry before water spots show up is nearly impossible. I've been kicking around the idea of buying a deionizer to stop the spotting. CR and Go Spotless make them and Griot's Garage sells another. (see links)
Does anyone have experience with these to make a recommendation. They're not cheap.
I pick the wax option in the automated car wash. It works great.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:45 PM
RJC2
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by USSenator
I pick the wax option in the automated car wash. It works great.
I haven't had the heart to put mine through the touchless car wash yet. I guess in the back of my mind I'm thinking the sunroof will leak and I'll get pizzed off.
I don't do the brush type washes. They dull paint.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:54 PM
K2500Z71
Senior User
I use softened water and just wipe down with a microfiber cloth when I'm done. No spots ever, even when washing in the sun.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:53 PM
USSenator
Elder User
Originally Posted by RJC2
I haven't had the heart to put mine through the touchless car wash yet. I guess in the back of my mind I'm thinking the sunroof will leak and I'll get pizzed off.
I don't do the brush type washes. They dull paint.
I do not have my 2017 yet, but only the car washes with brushes do a good enough job.

Hand washing is very bad as the sponges, cloths, and chamois all have grit in them.

Quick Reply: Anyone use a deionizer for washing their truck?