2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Why can't I find rockers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 09:59 PM
sgthawkusmc
Posting Guru
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts
Why can't I find rockers?

What am I missing? Why can't I seem to find outer rocker panels for my 07 Expy? With the ridiculous number of them turning to dust, you'd think they'd be easy to find.
What's everyone doing to repair them if the replacements aren't available.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:45 PM
VMSCO
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm having the same problem finding Rocker Panels for my 2008 Expedition. I swear I've reached the end of the Internet trying to find them.

Are they a Dealer only Item???

Old 07-01-2017, 09:04 PM
sgthawkusmc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by VMSCO
I'm having the same problem finding Rocker Panels for my 2008 Expedition. I swear I've reached the end of the Internet trying to find them.

Are they a Dealer only Item???
I find it hard to believe, but it might only be found as a "uniside assembly" or custom bent.
I saw a post on another forum where a guy used SCrew rockers. Pics were gone though. I'll have to see what they look like.

Uniside Assembly for 2007 Ford Expedition|7L1Z-78211A10-B : Genuine Factory OEM Parts & Accessories | TascaParts.com

Old 07-02-2017, 02:12 PM
superdutymj
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sgthawkusmc
I find it hard to believe, but it might only be found as a "uniside assembly" or custom bent.
I saw a post on another forum where a guy used SCrew rockers. Pics were gone though. I'll have to see what they look like.

Uniside Assembly for 2007 Ford Expedition 7L1Z-78211A10-B : Genuine Factory OEM Parts & Accessories TascaParts.com
I called the local body shop I use when I found a nice '07 Expy that had bad rocker cancer. He informed me that no repair panels were available, and that the only way he could repair it was to replace the whole door opening, like you posted. He quoted $200ish for the part and about 22hrs per opening to cut, fit, weld, and paint. Obviously unreasonable at that point, even he told me to run away from it. Being a certified welder, I'd attempt to make repair panels and fix it myself if rust showed up on something I already owned.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:10 PM
VMSCO
New User
WOW!!! Well that settles the issue for me. I will fabricate my own that will be like the screw on kits, but will weld them in.

Thanks for the help guys.

Greg

Old 07-03-2017, 02:37 PM
superdutymj
Elder User
Originally Posted by VMSCO
WOW!!! Well that settles the issue for me. I will fabricate my own that will be like the screw on kits, but will weld them in.

Thanks for the help guys.

Greg
Welding is definitely the ticket. Those screw kits are garbage and I'd be surprised if they haven't gotten someone killed. The majority of the strength of the cabin comes from the integrity of the rockers. Once those are soft, the safety of the passengers is compromised. Screws ain't going to hold a thing

Old 07-03-2017, 05:40 PM
VMSCO
New User
I agree, that's why I plan on fabricating rockers out of 16 gauge steel and welding them in. I also saw a video on YouTube that showed someone welding in rectangular steel tubing before installing his fabricated rockers. That was on a Jeep, but the added reinforcement made a lot of sense to me. You would think Ford would be concerned about liability on these older rust prone models, and at least provide repair panels.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:02 PM
163junk
Senior User
We have done a few e series pass sides and one 06 expy. We bought the whole side door opening panels cut the rockers off and welded them in. Dealer was only way to get them, just scrapped what was left.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:27 AM
VMSCO
New User
I got a dealer price on the whole door frame of $512.00 each, plus shipping which makes it far too expensive considering this is a 2008. What a shame. I would love to do it this way, but is just beyond my budget.

Thanks for your input.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:58 AM
sgthawkusmc
Posting Guru
I'm amazed the a/m suppliers haven't stepped up. It just doesn't make any sense. I'm going to see about fabbing some of my own up or going the super crew route. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:22 AM
sgthawkusmc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by superdutymj
Welding is definitely the ticket. Those screw kits are garbage and I'd be surprised if they haven't gotten someone killed. The majority of the strength of the cabin comes from the integrity of the rockers. Once those are soft, the safety of the passengers is compromised. Screws ain't going to hold a thing
I just noticed a couple of you guys were talking about "screw on kits." I was talking about SCrew. Super Crew cab trucks. I guess their rockers are real close to an Expy.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:43 PM
DD31
New User
I just went through this. Glad I'm not the only one. I got some 16ga strips from a shop. Cut/weld/smooth/paint

Old 08-15-2017, 02:46 PM
sgthawkusmc
Posting Guru
I got a hold of an 08 Super Crew rocker and matched it to my Ex. Not even close. Whoever mentioned that in the thread I was reading had to be smoking something.
I had to laugh. For grins and giggles I stopped by a body shop and told them I wanted the rockers fixed. I said bent sheet steel would be fine if they couldn't find replacement rockers. A week later I got the quote. $5,400! I couldn't stop laughing...

Old 08-15-2017, 03:14 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
At least you are getting lots of laughs.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:10 PM
superdutymj
Elder User
Originally Posted by sgthawkusmc
I got a hold of an 08 Super Crew rocker and matched it to my Ex. Not even close. Whoever mentioned that in the thread I was reading had to be smoking something.
I had to laugh. For grins and giggles I stopped by a body shop and told them I wanted the rockers fixed. I said bent sheet steel would be fine if they couldn't find replacement rockers. A week later I got the quote. $5,400! I couldn't stop laughing...
Notice my post #4, with the numbers worked out, it's pretty much what your estimate was. That's why I suggest to check rockers before you buy one of these Expys. Once the rockers are gone, the truck is pretty well "totaled".

Quick Reply: Why can't I find rockers?