Sponsored by: Moser

F150 opportunity

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 09:17 PM
Donovan Martin
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
F150 opportunity

I have the chance to buy a 1978 F150 for $1000. It was a farm truck and has sat for a few years. Needs help obviously.
Thoughts?

nest

Old 06-28-2017, 09:18 PM
Donovan Martin
4wd Low
351 is the engine according to the code

Old 06-29-2017, 07:37 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,128 Likes on 1,812 Posts
Way I see it,
why was it parked?
does the motor turn over by hand?
what do the floors, rest of the body & frame look like?
what is the plan you have for it?
it is a $1000 truck what do you think you would get for a $1000?

BTW I paid $800 for a 81 F100 flare side that needed a LOT more work than I first saw, turned into a frame off rebuild!
Dave - - - -

Old 06-29-2017, 07:52 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I like what I see!
You won't find one here in Missouri with that the metal looking that good. I'm wondering also, about why it was parked, and what's wrong under the hood. And how bad critters have eaten into the wiring and vacuum lines.

Unk Bob

Old 06-29-2017, 07:58 AM
Donovan Martin
4wd Low
He parked it there hauling irrigation pipe. It was running then and just hasn't used it since. I'm going back today and I'll look at a few other things. Not much rust in our part of Texas
It is a member of my church. The widow who owns it is 101 years old and her son who I'm talking with is pushing 80. Good people
I want to drive it as often as I need to. There are other trucks for sale around here. A 1995 f150 extended cab for $2000 that is in ok shape but needs tires is another option. My thought is these older trucks are being scooped up and soon will be harder to get. Why not now before they all cost a fortune?

Old 06-29-2017, 08:05 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It's all preference.
I have a 2013 Super Crew 4x4, and a 1979 F150 regular cab long bed 4x4. And that 79' will turn more heads than my near new truck. And yes they are getting hard to find. I don't think I'd have an issue paying $1000 for the truck. But I would see if the engine is free/not froze solid. You may be able to put a fresh battery in it, clean out the fuel tank and ad fresh fuel, and fire it right up. Check out the brakes and steering if it does start, before you get driving it.

Unk Bob

Old 06-29-2017, 09:27 AM
ClassicKidNick
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I say if the truck is as solid as it looks its probably worth a buy.. see if the engine will turn over, disconnect all fuel, clean the critter nest off the motor and make sure theres nothing in the carb and hit the key real quick. Or turn it over by hand.

Either way, these trucks in solid condition are growing harder to find. While a rust free bed/cab may not be worth a fortune in TX, someone would gladly pay more than that out in the northeast for the solid body alone.. if you purchased it, I dont see any way you could lose money in the long run.

I would get it running if I were you, make it a weekend cruiser. Really good starting point.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:54 AM
PA74F250
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd pay $1k just for that bed.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:06 PM
TheMonson
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Donovan Martin
A 1995 f150 extended cab for $2000 that is in ok shape but needs tires is another option. My thought is these older trucks are being scooped up and soon will be harder to get. Why not now before they all cost a fortune?
I would consider your ability and/or desire to turn a wrench. The satisfaction of fixing something broken is (to me) well worth the effort but I also don't take any particular joy in the process. Some people do, different strokes and all. It does afford me the opportunity to own and drive more interesting vehicles that bring me joy and my tool collection has really filled out. So I got that goin for me, which is nice.

That said, if you have any qualms about the work and/or cannot afford to get it done I would take that into account. Buying a set of tires and flushing a fuel system, troubleshooting potential damage by rodents, brakes, and who knows what else exist on different plains of commitment.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:45 AM
Donovan Martin
4wd Low
Originally Posted by TheMonson
I would consider your ability and/or desire to turn a wrench. The satisfaction of fixing something broken is (to me) well worth the effort but I also don't take any particular joy in the process. Some people do, different strokes and all. It does afford me the opportunity to own and drive more interesting vehicles that bring me joy and my tool collection has really filled out. So I got that goin for me, which is nice.

That said, if you have any qualms about the work and/or cannot afford to get it done I would take that into account. Buying a set of tires and flushing a fuel system, troubleshooting potential damage by rodents, brakes, and who knows what else exist on different plains of commitment.
I was a diesel mechanic in the USAF in the late '80s early 90's and can do a lot of the work. I have not done vacuum hoses, etc... I've seen the numerous diagrams so hopefully I can tackle that. We shall see. I'm now a pastor of a local Baptist Church. Prayers may help.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:32 AM
CelticOne
Regular User
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Prayers may help.
Prayer always helps!

If that were near me I'd snap it up. With your background (and faith!) I think you could handle any issues that come up.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:48 AM
BLK79
More Turbo
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
If that truck is anywhere near as rust free and straight as the pics indicate, absolutely worth it IMO regardless of engine condition. Engines can be found relatively cheaply if patient (I've acquired a 7800 mile 460 and a 39000 mile 460 out of motorhomes - in TX - for $400 each. Both are in Bronco's now). Rust repair and bodywork is another story, and that one appears solid.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:17 AM
TheMonson
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was a diesel mechanic in the USAF in the late '80s early 90's and can do a lot of the work. I have not done vacuum hoses, etc... I've seen the numerous diagrams so hopefully I can tackle that. We shall see. I'm now a pastor of a local Baptist Church. Prayers may help.
There isn't a ton of vacuum operated stuff on these trucks and there is a lot of information on this forum about pretty much everything a guy wants to know about. Sounds to me like the ayes have it.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:24 AM
SteveSharpe
New User
The truck looks beautiful to me. If you decide that you do not want to buy it, I would buy it for $1k.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:48 AM
JakeHan
Elder User
Hah, I'm with PA74F250 - fairly straight boxes are IMPOSSIBLE anymore. Snap it up -

Quick Reply: F150 opportunity