2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 12:14 PM
Dronepilot
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting Issue

Purchased new 2017 F-250 Lariat on Saturday, taking it back to dealer today due to a starting issue. When you push the start button, the starter engages the engine and spins for about 10 seconds, but won't start. Electronics come up with no faults. If you push the start button again, the engine starts normally with no delay. Problem seems to be worse when the engine is warm, and doesn't do it every time, though the starter time is noticably longer than it should be. When cold (relatively speaking for Southern Cal in June), the glow plug delay comes on per normal before engaging the starter. Truck has 150 miles on it, still on first tank of diesel.

Will report back on what the dealer service says.

Eric

Old 06-27-2017, 12:18 PM
Top_Speed1
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
What a shame to have this on a brand new truck. Hope it gets fixed fast and you experience nothing but happiness from now on.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:32 PM
Dronepilot
New User
Left the truck at the dealership....obviously not a common problem as they didn't even know where to start. Fortunately, it acted up when they tried to move it, unfortunately, there wasn't any diagnostics.

Eric

Old 06-27-2017, 04:24 PM
CRSFX4
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not a fan of keyless start. Have it in my Mustang and find it annoying. I ordered my F250 Lariat without the keyless start, specifically. Salesman thought I was nuts....guess I'm just an old school grouch....LOL

Funny story...my wife's car has keyless start and I was taking it out to gas up for her. Got in and couldn't see the key in the console but the car started right up with the button....figured it was in there somewhere (my wife does not keep a clean car). Got about 1/4 mile down the road and it shuts off.......key was actually in the room adjacent to the basement but not in the car....another reason I prefer a keyed ignition.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:44 PM
hinsong
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CRSFX4
Not a fan of keyless start. Have it in my Mustang and find it annoying. I ordered my F250 Lariat without the keyless start, specifically. Salesman thought I was nuts....guess I'm just an old school grouch....LOL

Funny story...my wife's car has keyless start and I was taking it out to gas up for her. Got in and couldn't see the key in the console but the car started right up with the button....figured it was in there somewhere (my wife does not keep a clean car). Got about 1/4 mile down the road and it shuts off.......key was actually in the room adjacent to the basement but not in the car....another reason I prefer a keyed ignition.
That's exactly why I enabled "police mode" on mine with forscan. I knew it was only a matter of time before I did the same thing. Now I can't...truck won't go into gear without the FOB in the truck. I also keep my spare FOB hidden in the back of the truck and wrapped in aluminum foil (truck doesn't know it's there).

Old 06-28-2017, 12:01 AM
Dronepilot
New User
Never had a problem with the keyless start, in fact, it was a requirement for this truck and my wife absolutely loves it. Don't think it is related to the issue we are having, other than the cranking time out.

Old 06-28-2017, 03:01 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 538 Likes on 262 Posts
I'd be very surprised if the car would let you in and start it and then shut off because the fob was in the basement "near" the car. Cars with keyless start have very sensitive proximity sensors. The car is fairly lenient for entry (maybe 3 feet or so) but very strict on starting (fob must be in car or within a few inches). They also typically will never shut down once running even if the fob leaves the vehicle since that could create a dangerous situation.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:22 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
I know it got to be disappointing to have issues with a new truck. I'm sure it's something minor and probably will have a quick fix as soon a qualified tech checks it out. Always keep in mine that all of the component manufacturers can't possibly make 100% good parts 100% of the time. If they did, our trucks would cost a lot more than they do now. Good luck!

Old 06-28-2017, 11:18 AM
Dronepilot
New User
Originally Posted by shortride
I know it got to be disappointing to have issues with a new truck. I'm sure it's something minor and probably will have a quick fix as soon a qualified tech checks it out. Always keep in mine that all of the component manufacturers can't possibly make 100% good parts 100% of the time. If they did, our trucks would cost a lot more than they do now. Good luck!
Absolutely agree, however, very frustrating when you bring it in, it is acting up, but then they do nothing with it till much later and magically, "can not duplicate". So far, at least 2 people at the dealership have verified the problem, I have 3 videos of the problem but the mechanic can't duplicate (mostly because they didn't listen when I brought it in)....so no repair. Just leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:18 PM
shortride
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Dronepilot
Absolutely agree, however, very frustrating when you bring it in, it is acting up, but then they do nothing with it till much later and magically, "can not duplicate". So far, at least 2 people at the dealership have verified the problem, I have 3 videos of the problem but the mechanic can't duplicate (mostly because they didn't listen when I brought it in)....so no repair. Just leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
It would be nice if the world stopped and was able to address all of our concerns in a timely manner. Unfortunately that doesn't happen very often. That's supposed to be part of the service writers responsibly. Again unfortunately they are also under-skilled and knowledgeable enough every time. That's not counting the tech's that are not as knowledgeable as they should be. I hear it from my service manager often.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:39 PM
Stroking along
Junior User
Originally Posted by troverman
I'd be very surprised if the car would let you in and start it and then shut off because the fob was in the basement "near" the car. Cars with keyless start have very sensitive proximity sensors. The car is fairly lenient for entry (maybe 3 feet or so) but very strict on starting (fob must be in car or within a few inches). They also typically will never shut down once running even if the fob leaves the vehicle since that could create a dangerous situation.
Wrong, I can remote start my truck from inside my house.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:52 PM
BII Plow Truck
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the "Remote Start" part of the keyless ignition. This way I have full oil pressure by the time I get to the truck.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:47 PM
Dronepilot
New User
Update: Mechanic finally duplicated the problem after following my instructions (drive truck on highway for 10 min, let sit for 20 min, then try starting), however, computer did not capture anything. Going to try again and capture data in a different way. Hotline request went in this afternoon and I got the dreaded "We have never heard of this problem before."
Has to be a fuel system problem of some kind, but a blockage doesn't make sense because the truck runs flawlessly at 70 MPH. I suspect it be an air leak that widens when the truck is hot, as it starts normal when cold. Thoughts? Just guessing and hope they figure it out quickly....I had the truck in my possession for 61 hours, dealership has now had it for 32 hours.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:43 PM
Dronepilot
New User
Well...we know the problem...when the dealership filled the tank at purchase, they filled it with GASOLINE not diesel. Waiting for the dealership to tell me how they want to give me a new truck......

Old 06-29-2017, 03:11 PM
HouseMouse
Elder User
Wow! I foresee someone wearing knee pads.

Quick Reply: Starting Issue