Could not get PCM out - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could not get PCM out

Old 06-19-2017, 06:45 AM
Posting Guru

fordboy2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Could not get PCM out

I want to get the strategy off my PCM to order a chip. I unbolted the two 7mm screws and removed the plug on the engine compartment side. It wiggles but can't get it out. Even took a small pry bar and prayed lightly on the black case it's in. Guess I'll pull the wheel well liner and see if I can see what's holding it back. Any input would be great. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:06 AM
Postmaster

Walleye Hunter is a name known to allWalleye Hunter is a name known to allWalleye Hunter is a name known to allWalleye Hunter is a name known to allWalleye Hunter is a name known to allWalleye Hunter is a name known to all
Do you have Forescan by any chance? It provides a lot of information about your truck, the PCM and more and for some reason I'm thinking that the strategy (whatever that is) is one of the things that it showed. I am not 100% sure on that but if you have it it's easy enough to check. That still doesn't help you get your PCM out, can't help ya there.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:45 AM
Postmaster

cleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputation
Six speed?

If so, pull the whole metal bracket (10mm nut on bottom and 10mm bolt on top).
EDIT.....
Just switched to desktop view (mobile sites suck *****). You'll have to pull the whole metal bracket and it'll come right out.
​​​​​​​
Old 06-19-2017, 09:32 AM
Elder User

IDI-Charlie has a good reputation on FTE.IDI-Charlie has a good reputation on FTE.
When I pull mine anymore I unhook the clutch pedal from the clutch master and pull the pedal out of the way. Granted I have the helper spring off mine so the pedal doesn't fly back and smack me in the head when doing so.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:20 PM
Elder User

retiredsparky has a great reputation on FTE.retiredsparky has a great reputation on FTE.retiredsparky has a great reputation on FTE.retiredsparky has a great reputation on FTE.
There is a 5mm screw that is on top facing into the fender side of the truck--did you take that one out? A more comfortable position to look up in there is to cut a 5/8" piece of plywood narrow enough to fit horizontally in through the drivers door(about 18", I think) and support the outer end with a step ladder. So as I recall, there are three screws (two into firewall, one into fender side).