2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Pictures: In Bumper LED Light Bar (zRoadz)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 05:41 AM
lifelineamb
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the grill lights and the rear bumper mounted lights from z roadz. The grill lights have not leaked but the rear bumper lights both have moisture in them. I took one apart to see if i could resolve the issue and discovered that it is inevitable they will all leak. There is a thin rubber gasket between the plastic lens and the housing. The gasket is compressed by the little screws you see around the housing but the ones that run the length of the light are all self tapping screws and not threaded into anything so enough vibration will loosen them and allow water in and they can only be tightened so much before they just spin in place. really crappy design. I will try to warranty the light I didn't take apart.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:52 PM
D.Flynn
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lifelineamb
I have the grill lights and the rear bumper mounted lights from z roadz. The grill lights have not leaked but the rear bumper lights both have moisture in them. I took one apart to see if i could resolve the issue and discovered that it is inevitable they will all leak. There is a thin rubber gasket between the plastic lens and the housing. The gasket is compressed by the little screws you see around the housing but the ones that run the length of the light are all self tapping screws and not threaded into anything so enough vibration will loosen them and allow water in and they can only be tightened so much before they just spin in place. really crappy design. I will try to warranty the light I didn't take apart.
Don't quote me on the 12 inch bar, but I contacted ZROADZ about the amp draw on the rear lights on the bumper. Their reply was 3 amps (I assume each). I contacted Sirrius about the 10 inch I mounted in the front number. It pulls 4 amps. Sirrius said they use a universal harness for all lights (40 amp relay). I am assuming you are safe to use any up fitter switch since the draw is so small.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:55 PM
bushpilot
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by lifelineamb
I had KC (halogens) under the rear bumper of my 2004...they leaked.
I suspect water infiltrates the wiring....which isn't necessarily intended to be exposed to the driving rain/spray from the tires.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:42 AM
CACRanger
Senior User
Got the light installed last week. Really liking it, however living in the city and with these bright LED headlights, I doubt it'll really get much use. Worth the money to me just to fill the hole...looks AWESOME!

Chris

Old 03-01-2018, 02:04 PM
bushpilot
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Jetsco
After the install, can you still see the plastic shroud and holes where the license plate bracket used to be mounted? Any chance you have a close up front on picture?
Here ya go...pictures revealing more detail / mounting holes for the Front Tag holder....

Old 03-01-2018, 04:16 PM
atkinjr
Senior User
LEDs next to ford emblem

Old 03-23-2018, 12:48 PM
grege
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bushpilot
Here ya go...pictures revealing more detail / mounting holes for the Front Tag holder....

How did you remove the license plate bracket?

Old 03-23-2018, 01:59 PM
bushpilot
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by grege
How did you remove the license plate bracket?
IIRC the bracket is held on by 2 or 4 fasteners - 2 of them were plastic rivets that I just cut off, I don't remember if there were 2 more plastic rivets or bolts - but it was very easy to remove the bracket.

Old 03-23-2018, 03:03 PM
grege
Tuned
Originally Posted by bushpilot
IIRC the bracket is held on by 2 or 4 fasteners - 2 of them were plastic rivets that I just cut off, I don't remember if there were 2 more plastic rivets or bolts - but it was very easy to remove the bracket.
Thanks. I remember seeing 2 so will start with figuring out a way tio remove them and see what happens.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:05 PM
IndyMcDAN
Freshman User
Hey guys! I just got the ZroadZ light in the mail yesterday and will install it this weekend. The bracket that mounts to the bumper looks pretty tight to reach. Did everyone remove the grill to get to that? Or is there another way to get your hands in there?

Old 04-17-2018, 02:26 PM
matrix311
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by IndyMcDAN
Hey guys! I just got the ZroadZ light in the mail yesterday and will install it this weekend. The bracket that mounts to the bumper looks pretty tight to reach. Did everyone remove the grill to get to that? Or is there another way to get your hands in there?
Just pull the grill and make life easier for yourself. Its like a 10 minute job to remove the grill!

Old 04-17-2018, 08:01 PM
IndyMcDAN
Freshman User
Originally Posted by matrix311
Just pull the grill and make life easier for yourself. Its like a 10 minute job to remove the grill!
to remove the grille is that just the bolts on the top and the clips on the bottom?

Old 04-18-2018, 07:36 AM
17F250WP
New User
to remove the grille is that just the bolts on the top and the clips on the bottom?
Yep it’s pretty simple. Might want to get a long flathead for the bottom clips.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:00 AM
PremierPOWER
Senior User
Be careful if you have the front camera, it is very delicate. I was trying to unplug mine and it broke very easily.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:44 PM
grege
Tuned
I decided to go with the KD Fabworks 10" bracket and 10" lightbar from Black Oak. Wanted to do the ZRoadZ but when I started looking they couldn't tell me it would work on the 2018 so I looked for a different way. I just mounted my bracket going thru the hole where the bracket goes. It was easy to reach in there for this bracket. I would suggest trying it.

Black Oak has some very long studs coming out of their light so I had to cut those with my Dremel to fit in the bracket. Still need to run my wire and connect to the upfitter but I'm closer.

On a side note, if anybody knows how to remove the adaptive cruise cover on a 2018 let me know. I looks like it just clips on now. No bolt like shown earlier in this thread. I went out to take it off and noticed the difference. Didn't have time to try and figure it out right now.

Quick Reply: Pictures: In Bumper LED Light Bar (zRoadz)