Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1989 Ford F150 want truck to start instatly

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 06:57 AM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts
Does it crank slow?

Old 06-19-2017, 07:54 AM
NotEnoughTrucks2014
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by siyksoul
Sorry guys been vusy with work and my ignition cylinder snapped on me. lol got that fixed.

My truck starts good, good fuel pressure and pump primes with first turn of key. Starts up after a few good turn overs.

Im not trying to rev the crap out of it or so any weird ****. And mostly all the parts Ive been putting in are Ford OEM parts besides like my relays and igntion cylinder.

I'm just trying to have a cleaner start, if that makes any sense. Like turns over once maybe twice and fires up clean and idles nice.
Lots of territory between starting normally and starting instantly. Seems to me that you have done all reasonable steps and the truck is starting normally. You may want to check injector spray pattern, possibly a cleaning may make some small change, but I don't think you have a problem.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:26 AM
siyksoul
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Conanski
An EFI engine will not start instantly no matter what you do, the PCM just is not programmed to do that.
I heard something about wiping the EFI from the PCM. Havent looked into it though, but thinking that might be my nezt step.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:28 AM
siyksoul
New User
Originally Posted by NotEnoughTrucks2014
Lots of territory between starting normally and starting instantly. Seems to me that you have done all reasonable steps and the truck is starting normally. You may want to check injector spray pattern, possibly a cleaning may make some small change, but I don't think you have a problem.
Theres no issue starting her up, just want that bad *** good start that gets you going haha.

Ill look into that as well, thanks.

My buddy told me to get a better starter and stronger battery. Might look in to that as well.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:28 AM
siyksoul
New User
Originally Posted by '89F2urd
Does it crank slow?
Not at all

Old 06-19-2017, 08:29 AM
siyksoul
New User
Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks
Have you checked for fault codes and (correct) fuel pressure? Does it not start the first time you turn the key? If it does start on the first try with good fuel pressure and no fault codes, you must have a lot of disposable money to just be throwing parts at it.

IMO, the OEM stuff you threw in the trash was probably still better than what you replaced it with.
No codes besides my exhuast, muffler is hanging lol. Gonna take it off and throw a cherry bomb on it or try to find an original from a junkyard.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:30 AM
siyksoul
New User
My best guess is barely turning the key to start and having it start. Something it never did even when it was new.
Mine has 600k miles, original tanny and motor. Starts great.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:40 AM
siyksoul
New User
Originally Posted by Benstoked
I had the timing WAAYY off on my truck for a minute.
Had it parked at my brother's, due to lack of drivability, so it would sit for weeks. It fired up better than any other vehicle I've driven.... except the timing was f***ed, and would barely move under its own power.
Sorry never dealt with timing, what exactly is timing? The way the pipes / hoses are bent to give correct pressure? How do I go about xhecking my timing and finding the correct timing?

Old 06-19-2017, 08:42 AM
siyksoul
New User
Just clarify you aren't pushing the gas pedal when trying to start it, are you?
No Im not doing anything besides turning the key

Old 06-19-2017, 10:11 AM
jtmalott
Senior User
Dear lord my man im not too sure what you want or how to find it. A badass good start to get you going? Put a remote starter on it and start it before you get there maybe?

I'm confused..

Old 06-19-2017, 12:04 PM
Benstoked
Freshman User
Sorry never dealt with timing, what exactly is timing? The way the pipes / hoses are bent to give correct pressure? How do I go about xhecking my timing and finding the correct timing?
Timing is the controlling of electrons to the ht leads at precise intervals, given piston placement during the combustion cycle. modification of the timing involves alteration of the excitement cycle during operation. Inspect via inductance sensing beacon, to ensure proper timing.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:17 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Timing is the controlling of electrons to the ht leads at precise intervals, given piston placement during the combustion cycle. modification of the timing involves alteration of the excitement cycle during operation. Inspect via inductance sensing beacon, to ensure proper timing.

That was awesome

Old 06-19-2017, 01:37 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Received 620 Likes on 496 Posts
I heard something about wiping the EFI from the PCM. Havent looked into it though, but thinking that might be my nezt step.

Something is fishy.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:53 PM
siyksoul
New User
Originally Posted by sandymane

Something is fishy.
Fishy? Is something wrong with doing that?

Sorry guys, what I know about trucks and cars is limited to basically what I've needed to fix on the truck.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:55 PM
siyksoul
New User
Lol not gonna lie, that didnt make much sense to me.

Quick Reply: 1989 Ford F150 want truck to start instatly