1989 Ford F150 want truck to start instatly - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

1989 Ford F150 want truck to start instatly

Old 06-17-2017, 02:47 AM
New User

siyksoul is starting off with a positive reputation.
1989 Ford F150 want truck to start instatly

Hey guys, I'm just wondering what are my next steps to getting my truck to fire up with barely turning the key.

So far i've put in:

Fuel pump, starter, starter solenoid, battery, alternator, fuel pump / ignition relay and harness.

What are my next steps to getting my truck to start really clean and quickly?
Old 06-17-2017, 08:03 AM
Posting Guru

My4Fordtrucks is starting off with a positive reputation.
Have you checked for fault codes and (correct) fuel pressure? Does it not start the first time you turn the key? If it does start on the first try with good fuel pressure and no fault codes, you must have a lot of disposable money to just be throwing parts at it.

IMO, the OEM stuff you threw in the trash was probably still better than what you replaced it with.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:58 PM
Postmaster

'89F2urd has a good reputation on FTE.'89F2urd has a good reputation on FTE.'89F2urd has a good reputation on FTE.
I mean, what exactly are we talking about here?
Old 06-17-2017, 09:15 PM
Posting Guru

My best guess is barely turning the key to start and having it start. Something it never did even when it was new.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:44 AM
Elder User

yardbird is starting off with a positive reputation.
It doesn't work on my '87 F150, but on my Mercury with a 4.6, if sitting overnight, I always push the throttle to the floor to shut off the injectors, then spin the engine over for 5 or so seconds to prime the engine with oil.

Then I let off the pedal, and start the engine so it doesn't rev out of sight like Ford wants them too. A sudden cold, high rev start, with no oil protection is not good for an engine.

Since pushing the throttle to the floor doesn't keep my pickup with the 4.9 from immediately starting and revving to 1500+, I put a toggle switch to cut off the IAC valve when I cold start. This will put the start rpm around 800-1000, and stops any cold start rattle I sometimes have.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:49 AM
Freshman User

Benstoked is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had the timing WAAYY off on my truck for a minute.
Had it parked at my brother's, due to lack of drivability, so it would sit for weeks. It fired up better than any other vehicle I've driven.... except the timing was f***ed, and would barely move under its own power.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:08 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardbird View Post
It doesn't work on my '87 F150, but on my Mercury with a 4.6, if sitting overnight, I always push the throttle to the floor to shut off the injectors, then spin the engine over for 5 or so seconds to prime the engine with oil.

Then I let off the pedal, and start the engine so it doesn't rev out of sight like Ford wants them too. A sudden cold, high rev start, with no oil protection is not good for an engine.

Since pushing the throttle to the floor doesn't keep my pickup with the 4.9 from immediately starting and revving to 1500+, I put a toggle switch to cut off the IAC valve when I cold start. This will put the start rpm around 800-1000, and stops any cold start rattle I sometimes have.
You do what!? That "procedure" is a complete waste of time. 1500 rpm is not "revving out of sight". I'd be willing to bet that every manufacturer has a higher than idle rpm cold start procedure to help get the engine and cat up to temp faster. Even carbureted vehicles did the same thing. I got 295K miles out of the 302 in my '87 U150 before it needed to be replaced . I have 349K and running in my 24V 3.0L in my Taurus.

I hope you aren't using a Fram oil filter or some other low quality filter without an anti-drain back valve. They allow the filter to drain which causes the dry start issue especially on the 300 since the filter is horizontal on the block. Unless the vehicle has been sitting for an extended period there should still be an oil film on the parts to help combat a completely dry start. You do realize that when you are cranking the engine over with the injectors off you are still creating the same wear as if you had actually allowed the engine to start. The only way to avoid that is with a preoiling system or somehow spin the oil pump without turning over the engine. You could pull the distributor to do that but would be a pain to do.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:54 AM
Posting Guru

NotEnoughTrucks2014 has a very good reputation on FTE.NotEnoughTrucks2014 has a very good reputation on FTE.NotEnoughTrucks2014 has a very good reputation on FTE.NotEnoughTrucks2014 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Looks like this is becoming a discussion on how to do what an engine was not designed to do. No matter, that is how we learn.

So, assuming you want an engine to start instantly and you want that to be the prime design objective, you would have to provide some means of priming the engine before cranking. That would have to include both fuel and oiling systems. For most of us, we can accept a certain amount of crank time particularly on a cold start. I don't see how any sort of pre start ritual can be considered an aid to instant starting, but a warm start vs a cold start may produce the conditions required for the quickest fire up?

Of course, there is always that YouTube video of that old tractor that fires up with a shotgun shell!
Old 06-18-2017, 12:40 PM
Elder User

yardbird is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks View Post
You do what!? That "procedure" is a complete waste of time. 1500 rpm is not "revving out of sight". I'd be willing to bet that every manufacturer has a higher than idle rpm cold start procedure to help get the engine and cat up to temp faster. Even carbureted vehicles did the same thing. I got 295K miles out of the 302 in my '87 U150 before it needed to be replaced . I have 349K and running in my 24V 3.0L in my Taurus.

I hope you aren't using a Fram oil filter or some other low quality filter without an anti-drain back valve. They allow the filter to drain which causes the dry start issue especially on the 300 since the filter is horizontal on the block. Unless the vehicle has been sitting for an extended period there should still be an oil film on the parts to help combat a completely dry start. You do realize that when you are cranking the engine over with the injectors off you are still creating the same wear as if you had actually allowed the engine to start. The only way to avoid that is with a preoiling system or somehow spin the oil pump without turning over the engine. You could pull the distributor to do that but would be a pain to do.
No, I do not and never have used cheap oil filters, nor do I use cheap oil. The earlier 4.6 and 5.4 engines are notorious for cold start knock/rattle. My 4.6 will do it after sitting for a day or two, unless I let the starter spin up some oil pressure first, then no matter how long it sits or how cold, I get no rattle.

Same with my 4.9 in my truck. The bearings are worn and if I let it rev to 1500 it will rattle pretty loud for 3-5 seconds until oil gets to it. My truck starts too quick, way too quick for me. I hardly get one good turn out of it. If I keep the IAC shut off during start up, I get no rattle at all because the engine doesn't try to shoot straight to 1500+ rpm.

I know what I'm doing. I have been around the block a few times. It works for me.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:03 PM
Posting Guru

Mudsport96 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The only way you are going to get it to "instantly" start cold is some sort of ether injection into the manifold.
​​​​​​​As for instant starts warm/hot, my 250k+ 5.0 truck fires on half a turn. So I don't know hot much more instantaneous you can get
Old 06-18-2017, 05:49 PM
Post Fiend

Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
An EFI engine will not start instantly no matter what you do, the PCM just is not programmed to do that.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:15 PM
Posting Guru

Sort of looks like the OP threw the grenade out there and hasn't returned.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:36 PM
Postmaster

White 97 xlt has a superb reputationWhite 97 xlt has a superb reputationWhite 97 xlt has a superb reputationWhite 97 xlt has a superb reputationWhite 97 xlt has a superb reputationWhite 97 xlt has a superb reputationWhite 97 xlt has a superb reputationWhite 97 xlt has a superb reputationWhite 97 xlt has a superb reputationWhite 97 xlt has a superb reputationWhite 97 xlt has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks View Post
Sort of looks like the OP threw the grenade out there and hasn't returned.
Think maybe he got mad because he didn't get an "Instant" answer?
Old 06-19-2017, 06:45 AM
New User

siyksoul is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sorry guys been vusy with work and my ignition cylinder snapped on me. lol got that fixed.

My truck starts good, good fuel pressure and pump primes with first turn of key. Starts up after a few good turn overs.

Im not trying to rev the crap out of it or so any weird ****. And mostly all the parts Ive been putting in are Ford OEM parts besides like my relays and igntion cylinder.

I'm just trying to have a cleaner start, if that makes any sense. Like turns over once maybe twice and fires up clean and idles nice.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:09 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by siyksoul View Post
.....Im not trying to rev the crap out of it or so any weird ****...
Just clarify you aren't pushing the gas pedal when trying to start it, are you?