Headliner question - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Headliner question

Old 06-15-2017, 09:35 PM
LeviD
Senior User
LeviD is starting off with a positive reputation.
Headliner question

I am going to order my carpet and headliner from stockinteriors.com. As far as the headliner goes, do I glue it to my current headliner board? Or remove that and go straight to the roof?

Old 06-15-2017, 10:13 PM
PapaBearYuma
Postmaster
PapaBearYuma has a good reputation on FTE.PapaBearYuma has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by LeviD View Post
I am going to order my carpet and headliner from stockinteriors.com. As far as the headliner goes, do I glue it to my current headliner board? Or remove that and go straight to the roof?
Glue your material to the headliner board.

If you pull that board out, you'll find a reinforcing bar down the centerline of the cab. Also, the roof panel is recessed from the edges.

I used super heavy duty, super heat resistant contact cement on mine. First one was rattle can. Second was industrial, and I rolled it on

Old 06-15-2017, 10:56 PM
LeviD
Senior User
Great! Thank you again

Old 06-15-2017, 11:17 PM
PapaBearYuma
Postmaster
PapaBearYuma has a good reputation on FTE.PapaBearYuma has a good reputation on FTE.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:23 PM
77&79F250
Used OEM parts guy
77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.77&79F250 has a spectacular reputation.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:53 PM
LeviD
Senior User
Currently in the process of removing all interior. Removed my headliner trim, went to take the headliner board out the door....... it does not fit through the door whatsoever. How the heck do you take this thing out? This is on a 79 supercab

Old 06-16-2017, 05:58 PM
lasermike
Elder User
lasermike is starting off with a positive reputation.
Currently in the process of removing all interior. Removed my headliner trim, went to take the headliner board out the door....... it does not fit through the door whatsoever. How the heck do you take this thing out? This is on a 79 supercab
I tried that when installing seatbelts in the SuperCab. Only way could figure to get it out was to remove the seat and that was too much effort for the project.

I figure it went in though the front or rear window when on the assembly line.

Michael

Old 06-16-2017, 06:16 PM
LeviD
Senior User
That's kind of what I was thinking. I have the seats removed and it just does not fit through the door. I'm thinking I'll cut it in half, save it for a template to create a new board since this ones warped a little anyways and glue the fabric to the new one that I'll also have cut in half... to be able to fit it in the cab and do all the glueing in the cab

Old 06-16-2017, 06:23 PM
PapaBearYuma
Postmaster
That's kind of what I was thinking. I have the seats removed and it just does not fit through the door. I'm thinking I'll cut it in half, save it for a template to create a new board since this ones warped a little anyways and glue the fabric to the new one that I'll also have cut in half... to be able to fit it in the cab and do all the glueing in the cab

Maybe make a new headliner out of heavy plastic, and glue the fabric to that. Then you can manipulate the plastic through the opening.

Tip from another forum - use wide Velcro on the center support to hold the center up, eliminating the center screws.

Or put a dome light up there...use LED so it doesn't get all hot...

Old 06-16-2017, 07:24 PM
lasermike
Elder User
Originally Posted by PapaBearYuma View Post
Maybe make a new headliner out of heavy plastic, and glue the fabric to that. Then you can manipulate the plastic through the opening.

Tip from another forum - use wide Velcro on the center support to hold the center up, eliminating the center screws.

Or put a dome light up there...use LED so it doesn't get all hot...
I like the dome light idea, I did convert to the LMC LED version with the clear lens and it's a ton of light but one over the seat instead of 6 feet behind me would be nice.

Michael

Old 06-16-2017, 07:25 PM
lasermike
Elder User
Bummer, I gave up while mine was still whole so didn't know for sure if it would fit.

Michael

Old 06-16-2017, 08:35 PM
LeviD
Senior User
I was able to score the middle with a razor knife and get just enough flex to remove it whole. I did break my torx bit trying to remove my passenger seat belt... got to get another one now. I like the dome light as well. I assume I could just splice it into the current ones wireing?

Old 06-16-2017, 08:46 PM
lasermike
Elder User
I was able to score the middle with a razor knife and get just enough flex to remove it whole. I did break my torx bit trying to remove my passenger seat belt... got to get another one now. I like the dome light as well. I assume I could just splice it into the current ones wireing?
If you go LED, then yes you could just add it to the existing wiring. If your jamb switches are on the crusty side, an incandescent light added to the circuit may cause enough voltage drop to make it flicker or just not be as bright as it could. Not a deal breaker but something to keep in mind if you don't get the results you expected.

Maybe get a can of your favorite penetrating spray when you pick up the new Torx bit. The threads sick out the bottom and were kinda nasty on my truck.

Michael

Old 06-16-2017, 09:23 PM
LeviD
Senior User
Oh I have been pb blasting everything a lot.. when I first grabbed the truck I hit every bolt I could see on the underside then went through yesterday hit them all again for the cab, then again about 30 minutes to an hour before getting to them today..... I'm thinking I'm going to go buy a little hand torch to heat up the underside tomorrow. Also I was very disappointed about how the rear plastic panel is originally places down in that groove that just traps moister in the rear of the cab. Might be filling some holes the best I can with weld before adding POR-15 to the entire bottom half of the cab.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:33 PM
lasermike
Elder User
Sounds like you are on the right path there.

I'm afraid to take any trim off in the interior. The rear window leaks pretty bad. The canopy keeps most of the rain out but it still gets wet back there. I plan on replacing the rear slider this summer.

Michael

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headliner question

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.