Pitted front axle? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Pitted front axle?

Old 06-16-2017, 09:58 PM
Senior User

Thisguy65 is starting off with a positive reputation.
looks killer Pete. I need one of those wire wheels for my electric grinder.

so general conses is to run it? my concern is strength and that It will be supporting a 1,000 lbs engine.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:19 PM
Still Learnin'

petemcl is a splendid one to beholdpetemcl is a splendid one to beholdpetemcl is a splendid one to beholdpetemcl is a splendid one to beholdpetemcl is a splendid one to beholdpetemcl is a splendid one to beholdpetemcl is a splendid one to beholdpetemcl is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisguy65 View Post
looks killer Pete. I need one of those wire wheels for my electric grinder.

so general conses is to run it? my concern is strength and that It will be supporting a 1,000 lbs engine.
Thanks but started off with welder's brush and elbow grease to get rid of the worst.

It should support several times that amount.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:44 AM
Posting Guru

Mixer man has a great reputation on FTE.Mixer man has a great reputation on FTE.Mixer man has a great reputation on FTE.Mixer man has a great reputation on FTE.Mixer man has a great reputation on FTE.Mixer man has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
My concern is strength and that It will be supporting a 1,000 lbs engine.
The 1,000 lb engine weight is divided by three engine mounts. 75% of the weight is on the two front mounts. That 75% is divided by two for each front spring and axle spindle. So actually the axle will only be supporting about 600 lbs of engine weight if I'm not mistaken.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:56 AM
Senior User

have to add the weight of the transmission if using 3 mounts (2 motor 1 trans) but you're right.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:07 AM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
I'd worry about the spindles, brakes, and frame more than the axle.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:32 PM
Posting Guru

Mixer man has a great reputation on FTE.Mixer man has a great reputation on FTE.Mixer man has a great reputation on FTE.Mixer man has a great reputation on FTE.Mixer man has a great reputation on FTE.Mixer man has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
Exactly. Now I'm curious what engine you are using that weighs a thousand pounds? Diesel?
Old 06-17-2017, 01:12 PM
Still Learnin'

petemcl is a splendid one to beholdpetemcl is a splendid one to beholdpetemcl is a splendid one to beholdpetemcl is a splendid one to beholdpetemcl is a splendid one to beholdpetemcl is a splendid one to beholdpetemcl is a splendid one to beholdpetemcl is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
And springs and shocks. The more weight that you have in the front the less will be the proportion in the rear. You can go from under steer to over steer very quickly.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:40 PM
Senior User

Quote:
i have disk going on front and frame will be 2x4 3/16" wall rectangle tube. I'm using a lot of parts from a F1 though. The spindles are fair argument though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer man View Post
Exactly. Now I'm curious what engine you are using that weighs a thousand pounds? Diesel?
Yes sir, Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by petemcl View Post
And springs and shocks. The more weight that you have in the front the less will be the proportion in the rear. You can go from under steer to over steer very quickly.
Using air bags. The motor will behind the axle. Good point everything that normally be under the hood is going in the bend or under it I should say.
Fuel tanks, Air compressor, Battery, Ford 9", 36" tall tires, Air tank will be in the back. This is something along the lines of what I'm building but using F1 cab, F1 tailgate, f1 steering column and a few bits and pieces.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:17 PM
Posting Legend

56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
I like the looks of those, you just perked my interest in your build. I'd like to do something else now that my pickup is 99.9% done..
Old 06-18-2017, 07:30 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56panelford View Post
I like the looks of those, you just perked my interest in your build. I'd like to do something else now that my pickup is 99.9% done..

Thanks. I was reserved as to what my build pertained to after my experience with HAMB. Most of the guys are great over there but the few a-holes really ruin it. I was told "no diesels were ever put in a hot rod" which is hard to believe. Gear heads have been doing off the walls builds since cars were introduce. But there is a 10+ pages of a steam power model A build, because that's traditionals. When asked about it I got banned for a few days.

I've built a few cars over my short life but wanted to do something different.

Here are some pictures thus far.

I saw where Dennis doesn't sale the floor pans individually anymore.. Is there any other good places to buy the floor pans from? I need the driver side.

After being sandblasted

Was thinking something like this for paint scheme

If I could buy this truck I so would. I LOVE this truck.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:12 AM
Posting Legend

56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
You could try Midfifty for the floor pans they have taken over the sister company that deals with the F-1's
I remember seeing that last truck you posted, it is really nice...
Old 06-19-2017, 11:08 AM
Still Learnin'

Quote:

If I could buy this truck I so would. I LOVE this truck.

Yes, I really like this one too. I like the headlights with the turn signals in them. I wonder if the top has been chopped or is it just because it sits low?
Old 06-19-2017, 11:50 AM
Senior User

I think it gives the illusion that it's chop by being lowered like it has.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:07 AM
Senior User

Got the motor to crank. Had to bleed the air in the injection lines, that's where the gray smoke coming from. Unburnt fuel vapor.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:29 PM
Senior User

double post