6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Front axle hub

Old 06-14-2017, 09:50 PM
caddy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front axle hub

I have play on front axle to axle hub on passenger side. When turning left I hear grinding noise from wheel. When hitting a bump or pothole I hear a popping noise from that wheel. I raised truck and spun wheel but could not replicate noise. I put my hands on both front axles by ujoints close to wheels to check for difference in play. The passenger side has more play than the driver. I would guess I can move it about 1/4-3/8". I suspect the play is the cause of the popping noise due to possible worn bearings in axle hub.

Question1? Can I replace the needle bearings in hub or will I have to replace entire axle hub.
Question2? If replacing axle hub, which brand is recommended? Notice large difference in price range whether shopping at local dealer or autoparts stores.

Truck is 2009 F250 6.4 with single rear wheels

Old 01-18-2018, 05:42 PM
Tractionless
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by caddy
I have play on front axle to axle hub on passenger side. When turning left I hear grinding noise from wheel. When hitting a bump or pothole I hear a popping noise from that wheel. I raised truck and spun wheel but could not replicate noise. I put my hands on both front axles by ujoints close to wheels to check for difference in play. The passenger side has more play than the driver. I would guess I can move it about 1/4-3/8". I suspect the play is the cause of the popping noise due to possible worn bearings in axle hub.

Question1? Can I replace the needle bearings in hub or will I have to replace entire axle hub.
Question2? If replacing axle hub, which brand is recommended? Notice large difference in price range whether shopping at local dealer or autoparts stores.

Truck is 2009 F250 6.4 with single rear wheels
I'm curious to know what you found out about replacing just the bearings (rockauto lists them) vs. the hub. I'm in the same situation.

Thanks!
Keith

Old 01-18-2018, 06:27 PM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Normal process is to replace the entire hub, also check the half shaft for wear at the point of contact with the needle bearings of the hub. Timken is a solid brand.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:46 AM
sxrfun
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes the axle support bearing in the wheel hub is replaceable as a separate unit. However I must ask.....are your hubs locked while you're driving/turning and hearing this noise? If hubs are not locked and you're in 2 wheel drive......then that axle/bearing should not be turning, so would not make a grinding noise. Only thing to make grinding noise would be the main wheel bearing assembly itself.....so you're prob best to replace whole unit.

As far as the popping sound......can you feel any play in the wheel bearing unit? If so it's prob at an advanced stage of wear and I would not drive truck until replaced. How are your ball joints, original? They can also cause a popping noise when worn. Raise front of truck and take a long pry bar under the tire.....try and move tire up and down while watching ball joints....any play?

Old 01-19-2018, 01:19 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 973 Likes on 748 Posts
I replaced my hubs as an assembly. Timken has a 10 year warranty.

Before I installed, I removed the ABS sensor, and used the ABS sensor jerk plate, to lube up the bearing cavity. then reinstalled the ABS sensor. will probally redo the lube, when I change the rotors