Sponsored by: DP Tuner

SOS HELP 7.3l

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 02:26 PM
Coexcursion
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SOS HELP 7.3l

Okay me and the family where headed up camping for the weekend and as we where coming down a steep grade I hit a bump and my truck shut down, not a big bump but just a small everyday bump restarted tried to get it to a safe location and it didn't work got it towed into town and replaced my cps, truck took a few cranks and finally started. Shut my good and it bogged down, went to pop the hood and slammed my driver door and my truck shut down. Started the truck and did it again and it would either bogg down or completely shut off. Has anyone seen this before I don't know where to start I am guessing it's a short issue but not sure any help would be great so I don't have to bring it to the stealership about 200 miles from home. My tools are limited as I'm up in the mountains

Old 06-11-2017, 02:30 PM
Stebs
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Loose uvch somewhere? Have a code scanner with you?

Old 06-11-2017, 02:34 PM
Coexcursion
Freshman User
No Sadly, but I did just install a hydra chip and new performance injectors I replaced the uvch while I was in there tho

Old 06-11-2017, 02:35 PM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Coexcursion
Okay me and the family where headed up camping for the weekend and as we where coming down a steep grade I hit a bump and my truck shut down, not a big bump but just a small everyday bump restarted tried to get it to a safe location and it didn't work got it towed into town and replaced my cps, truck took a few cranks and finally started. Shut my good and it bogged down, went to pop the hood and slammed my driver door and my truck shut down. Started the truck and did it again and it would either bogg down or completely shut off. Has anyone seen this before I don't know where to start I am guessing it's a short issue but not sure any help would be great so I don't have to bring it to the stealership about 200 miles from home. My tools are limited as I'm up in the mountains
Any way you can read codes?

Old 06-11-2017, 02:44 PM
Coexcursion
Freshman User
Sadly not at moment

Old 06-11-2017, 02:48 PM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
At this point its just guessing, but saying that why not go around and see if any wires are loose. It was probably working loose before the bump, the bump just finished the job.

Did you get the chip seated properly in the ecu?

Old 06-11-2017, 02:52 PM
Coexcursion
Freshman User
I am pretty sure I got it seated properly but not 100% what's weird is I can always just restart the truck but that is something I will look into it for sure. Finally started finding similar issues and they came down to the same chip was not seated properly or it was dusty but I have no idea. This is the first chip I have ever ran

Old 06-11-2017, 03:34 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
You have a loose electrical connection...I think that is agreed on by all. You need to check your exterior connection to the UVCH (x2), the big plug on the driver's side valve cover, and that your chip is seated properly (and staying that way). Think back to what all you had apart to do the work (if you did it). Something didn't get snugged up.

Old 06-11-2017, 03:38 PM
Coexcursion
Freshman User
Yeah I did the work, there is only the uvch plugs, 42 pin connector, 104 pin pcm connector, pcm and the chip. But it gives me somewhere to start thanks, any other help is greatly appreciated I will check some things in the morning and hope it works. Our friend picked us and all our gear up and brought us to the camping area so I will drive down in the morning and check

Old 06-11-2017, 03:54 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Only other input is wiring. It is old, and can be brittle anywhere it is exposed to heat. You might have a intermittent break in a wire (open) after unplugging things and moving wiring harnesses around when you did the work. If all your connections are tight, you will need a multi-meter for further troubleshooting. Any code reader you can lay your hands on will make things go much faster if it comes to that.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:23 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Coexcursion
I am pretty sure I got it seated properly but not 100% what's weird is I can always just restart the truck but that is something I will look into it for sure.
If it were your chip being loose on the PCM, you'd have blown your PCM if it came loose while the engine was running, so I doubt that's the problem since you can restart the engine.

You can blow the PCM even with the engine off but with the ignition key in the "ON" position if you remove or install the chip, so I doubt it's that, even though you should be thorough and eliminate that as a possibility.

Your IDM is in the drivers side fender well. Hood slam and drivers side door slam might affect some kind of compromised electrical connection there.

Just throwing more noodles against the wall.

Stewart

Old 06-11-2017, 05:44 PM
Coexcursion
Freshman User
Thanks guys I will let you know what I find. Hopefully it's not to bad, I thought the idm or cps originally when it first started, until the door slam because it's any slam to the truck that does it

Old 06-11-2017, 05:52 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
What year is your vehicle? Do you lose all dash lights and indications when it happens? Add the Tin nut on IPR to the list of things to check

Old 06-11-2017, 06:11 PM
DND58
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Adam, where ya located. I'm on western slope near Glenwood Springs with AE.

Did it set a check engine light?

Old 06-11-2017, 06:17 PM
Coexcursion
Freshman User
It's an 02. The only thing that looses power is the tach all other lights stay on not sure if it's a power or just the fact the vehicle is shutting off., and it's broke down in silverthorne. I did check the ipr nut and it is present and tight

Quick Reply: SOS HELP 7.3l