What the Hey ?!?!?!?! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2011 & Newer Explorer Discuss the all new redesigned Ford Explorer

What the Hey ?!?!?!?!

Old 06-10-2017, 07:26 PM
Post Fiend

jdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputation
What the Hey ?!?!?!?!

Spent the money to update the wife's navigation since she won't use the perfectly functional Garmins

So today I'm using the nav to get somewhere and it goes crazy !
What it looks like is it's not the navigation that's wrong,
but whatever determines where 'my exact position' is !
it shows me 100 of yards to the left of where I'm really at - in the first pic, I am ON the track about where it says E.Debbie Lane, not blocks to the left of it !!!!

GGGGGGGRRRRRRRRR...
what a waste of money to get the ford nav and then spend money for the new maps (which are old as soon as you get them !)

Is there anything I can do to correct this ? the nav is unusable and dangerous as it is !
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2018, 02:43 PM
Elder User

kermit is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sorry to bump an old thread, but my wifes 2014 Explorer does this sometimes (it eventually corrects itself) and I have never been able to figure out why. I was wondering if you found anything out about yours or not?
Old 01-04-2018, 02:49 PM
Post Fiend

jdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputation
I never did - why I will never buy another built in mfg's nav again...

Figure it is a failed part or something...

just use the garmin 760 (heck my 20 yr old garmin 5000 works better than the ford sync... and ford stopped supporting sync 2 years after we got it !
Old 01-05-2018, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

glruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputationglruff has a superb reputation
Did you resync it to the sun and the moon by riding around in a circle until it sees north?
Old 01-08-2018, 12:13 AM
Elder User

kermit is starting off with a positive reputation.
glruff, I have done that with my wifes car and it didn't seem to fix anything. I'm going to give it another shot next weekend I think, but it only seems to happen on long trips, and we've been using the truck a lot for that lately.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:23 PM
Elder User

PupnDuck has a good reputation on FTE.PupnDuck has a good reputation on FTE.PupnDuck has a good reputation on FTE.
I have no idea if this is the problem with the Ford navigation system but being a tech geek, I remember buying one of the earliest portable GPS units when they first came on the market. You actually had a collection of memory cards with the map data for different parts of the country since the whole country couldn't be handled at the same time.

GPS needs lock on at least 3 satellites in order to have a latitude / longitude / elevation fix. It CAN get by with 2 sat's for lat/lon only. The problem used to occur on longer trips when one of the satellites that the unit was locked onto would start to pass out of range. Instead of searching for a new, stronger fix the unit would stay locked onto the weak and intermittent signal. The result was wildly inaccurate location data.
The solution was to turn the unit off then on again so that it would get a new sat. fix.
If that's what the Ford unit is doing then it's defective and needs to be replaced.