What a PIG !!! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2011 & Newer Explorer Discuss the all new redesigned Ford Explorer

What a PIG !!!

Old 01-21-2018, 12:22 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
jdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputation
What a PIG !!!

Considering getting a base plate, etc.. so we can tow the Explorer behind the RV...
First step is weighing it to ensure it's not too much for the rv hitch, tow bar, GCWR, etc... went by a cat scale and it weighs 5460 lbs !!!!

Although I FELT it was a solid vehicle, didn't think it weighed that much
So, looking at the rv specs, we can tow up to 10k if we want to pursue it...

Old 01-23-2018, 05:16 PM
PupnDuck
Elder User
PupnDuck has a good reputation on FTE.PupnDuck has a good reputation on FTE.PupnDuck has a good reputation on FTE.
Doesn't you vehicle weight appear on the registration?

Old 01-23-2018, 08:47 PM
YoGeorge
Postmaster
YoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud of
Explorer is a pretty big vehicle and the Sport has the heaviest engine and the most add-on content.

Published weight of the Sport is ~4900 lbs so yours comes in a bit heavier than I'd expect. Got stuff in it? Does weight include the driver?

Old 01-25-2018, 05:16 AM
tseekins
tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Even at 4900 that's a lot heavier than I would have expected. My '04 Expy weighs about 5K.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:44 AM
1 Excursion camper
Posting Guru
1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future
You may want to try another scale.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:30 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
jdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputation
A certified cat scale usually is pretty accurate...
BUT, I was in it, so maybe that pushed it over the top

but if memory serves, I recall in weighing our super duties so we could verify our 5'er towing, the published weights were with standard equipment only and no options?

so adding things like people and seats adds up

Attached Images  
Old 02-16-2018, 11:53 AM
YoGeorge
Postmaster
YoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud of
Still looks heavier than I would expect and in particular, weight on the front axle is at 57% which makes it way more front heavy than I would expect although the Eboost engine and driver in the passenger seat would bias it in that direction. Every spec I see on the Explorer Sport still puts it under 5k lbs (but that might be on purpose to avoid hitting the ugly 2.5 ton number). But it weighs what it weighs...

Old 02-16-2018, 12:20 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Who knows, as the scales are really for heavier things like trucks and all so maybe it's wrong - but it shows what it shows

here's what our coach weighs (with trailer being our tag axle) - add the 4800 lb jeep and we are hauling some freight !!!

Attached Images