LED interior lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 04:20 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
LED interior lights

I need some interior lights for my enclosed 24' v nose trailer.

My short internet search has confused and frustrated me. I can't tell what's good, what's crap, what's overpriced, and what's a scam.

Please excuse me me for making a new thread But not searching this forum. I have found great people on FTE, but a terrible search feature.

can someone give me the straight shooting info on this subject please?
- I'm interested in 12v if possible IF they will run through my trailer harness wiring. (And then start my tow vehicle every 45minutes or so to charge). And be bright enough.
-is 110volt (120, whatever) a better option? Currently I don't have a generator. But I will in the coming months.
-ive found it tremendously difficult to decipher brightness and how it would illuminate my trailer.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:48 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
LED lights run on DC current, so 12V is perfect. I can't help you with brand suggestions, but if you are buying online, buy from a seller with a good reputation. I won't buy anything less than 4 star rated on amazon no matter what the price.

It's kind of confusing comparing light output between LED and older style incandescent lights, because you rarely find the Lumens (light output) listed for them.

You may want to look at shop strip lights for maximum brightness. Search "LED shop lights" or LED strip lights" and you should find something.

Good luck!

Old 06-13-2017, 10:08 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,094 Likes on 994 Posts
As they are LED's, you won't have to worry much about keeping battery charged.... they don't very much current at all. Your battery won't hardly know they are even there.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:58 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Well I got a small sample from a guy I know. I put them in the van rear and so far they're great. I haven't "tested" them in actual darkness yet, but this Saturday night I'll have a full review of the van, AND a long string of these inside the trailer. And it'll be using them well into the darkness of night.
I look forward to updating you all.
(The pic below was taken in full daylight, albeit very overcast day).

Old 08-07-2017, 10:26 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,666 Likes on 2,739 Posts
For a work trailer I would go with Bright White, not Soft White. It seems like getting quality bulbs is a crap shoot. I tried to buy bulbs off Amazon from only sellers with solid ratings and good reviews. I still ended up with some bulbs that flicker a bit. But overall, I'm pleased. Here is a link to the ones that I bought: http://a.co/7AuaT6K

Single bulbs in normal RV fixtures weren't enough light for me. So I bought some cheapo 12v LED strip lights in their own fixtures. These are about 18" long. I liked them so much in my RV trailer that I put 8 of them in the back of my garage.

You can buy a reel of LED strip lights fairly inexpensively. The come in 5 meter lengths as I recall. You can run a set down each side of the trailer's roof. A reel will come with one end pre-wired. All you need to do is connect wires from your battery to the light strip with wire nuts and you're good to go. The 3M tape on the back is just OK. The trailer surface needs to be really clean to get the strip to adhere. I ended up using some clear Gorilla Glue repair tape to keep mine on the ceiling.

If you get the strip lights keep in mind that the polarity matters. + has to go to + or they won't work.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:01 PM
pikapp
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went to our local Pep Boys (auto shop) and found the LED replacements for all my interior bulbs in the trailer and for the exterior overhead light for the rear ramp door. I also replaced the rear cab lights that shine into the bed. Made things noticeably brighter. I've left the interior lights (2 overhead) in the trailer on, accidently, for over 8 hours and upon finding this, they were still shining bright.