Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Redhead Group Buy Baby!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 03:57 PM
Bowie
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Redhead Group Buy Baby!!!

I just got off the phone with Redhead and he said once I get an idea of how many peeps want in on this group buy he will give me the sale price. So tell your neighborhood and lets get as many people on the group buy as possible.

Any takers??????????

Old 06-09-2017, 04:14 PM
2002exPSD
Laughing Gas
Damn. I just ordered mine yesterday.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:21 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Lightbulb Little hint

In order to maximize results you should consider posting this in the Super Duty and the Excursion sections also.

Good luck.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:34 PM
Oldanvilyoungsmith
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I may be interested, but it will really depend on pricing. I was actually fixing to go buy one from Orielly's next week, so I def could use a steering box, but I can't swing the full price for a redhead right now.

Anyone who's bought one on a group buy before, can you message me with an idea of the pricing compared to normal?

Old 06-11-2017, 02:22 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
You can find the previous prices & discounts from the previous group buys listed in the previous group buy threads.

I'm not saying those numbers would still be current and what Red Head is now charging, but it will give you an idea.

Stewart

Old 06-11-2017, 12:05 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Just call them. They actually answer the phone. At least they did when I got mine a couple of group buys ago.

Old 06-11-2017, 01:21 PM
SBFD8
Senior User
Redhead

I am interested if still happening

Old 06-11-2017, 06:41 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, according to the RedHead website, the 36 spline box is $356 + core + shipping
The only other recent thread I found with searching the forum for " red head group buy" indicated a $60 discount, with at least 36 boxes being bought.
So, if you can get that many people to commit, its $294 + shipping + core
https://www.redheadsteeringgears.com...spline-sector/

On the other hand, RockAuto sells a Motorcraft reman for $248.79 + core + shipping. (STG60RM is the 36 spline. The STG43RM is listed incorrectly as 36 spline. It is in fact the 32 spline Part#)
For me shipping is $8.99. Also, their are 5% discount codes all over the web for RockAuto ( Speaking of which, why don't we have one here?). So, really the cost is $236.79 + core + shipping
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/f...harged,1362608

Therefor, the RedHead, assuming best case scenario for a group discount, is $58 dollars more then a Motorcraft.
Also, from what I have gathered from several Redhead group buy threads on other forums, found via Googling,
A.) RedHead charges ALOT for shipping. I just looked on their website. Shipping is $70 flat rate, which includes a return label for the core, or $35 Flat Rate one-way. For me, Rock Auto was only $8.99 shipping. So, for me, RedHead is now an additional $26 more. So, RedHead is now $84 more then Motorcraft.
B.) From what I read, everybody pays FULL price up front, and then they refund the discount amount sometime later, IF your group places enough orders in the allotted time frame. Umm, so what if your one of the first 35 to order, expecting the discount, and people flake and order #36 never happens? That would suck. Even if it does happen, how long do you have to wait for the refund? Personally, there is ZERO chance I would be buying one at full price, so will they accept orders on a contingency basis ( my order is only processed IF the discount gets applied, otherwise its automatically cancelled)?

So, given the possible headaches involved, what is so special about RedHead boxes? Are they REALLY worth an extra $84 vs Motorcraft? It seems the only thing they do, that Motorcraft doesn't, is the needle bearings vs bushings. In fact, in some ways Motorcraft boxes appear to be superior.
Rede/Bold, etc.. emphasis is mine:
Motorcraft provides high-quality, vehicle-specific replacement parts recommended by Ford Motor Company.

Features
Torsion bar type of hydraulic-assisted steering system, sometimes called a rotary valve (RV) or XR-50 gear
Include new sector shafts
Gear housing that does not meet stringent inspection standards is replaced with new original equipment gear housing
Remanufacturing process includes precise ball sizing – not a "one-size-fits-all" approach – to ensure correct amount of steering effort, reducing play in the steering that could lead to comebacks
Replacement parts are 100% original equipment
So, what am I missing? Why is a RedHead box worth nearly 30% more?

Old 06-11-2017, 07:27 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by carguy3j
So, what am I missing?
Not for nothing, but in my opinion, not much really.

Here's a post from another thread I made a few days ago regarding steering boxes and powers steering pumps:

Originally Posted by Stewart_H
I figured as much, but I hate assuming.

Unless you have money to burn, don't bother burning money on a new pump until it's needed. The new box won't affect your old pump adversely.

Red Head units are good, but there seems to be a higher failure rate when purchased via a Group Buy. Anecdotal evidence only, so don't take that as gospel.

Not for nothing, but I have a Red Head on my Excursion and I honestly couldn't tell a lick of difference between the new Red Head and the old Ford unit it replaced.

The one on my lifted F250 with 37's was replaced with a stock OEM unit from Ford and it's working just as well as the Red Head on the Ex with stock tires.

Stewart
So from where I stand, I am on the same page as you, chapter and verse, regarding what you posted here.

Stewart

Old 06-12-2017, 12:13 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
I have said this many times but all that I can say about this is that the Redhead was the final fix for my particular issues. This was after having virtually the whole front end rebuilt, including a "new rebuilt" Ford box. The shop even bench tested 8 - 10 different boxes at the dealer before they found one that was "acceptable".

Old 06-12-2017, 01:05 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 202 Likes on 108 Posts
Not saying anyone is right or wrong about whether or not the Redhead is an "upgrade" from the Ford box, but we all need to remember a basic principle when thinking about that issue... any degree of "improvement" between the performance of an existing "on board" piece of equipment and a "new" one is based on several things, one of which is "exactly how bad" the existing unit is performing before being replaced with the "new" unit.

For example, if I replace my existing box with one from Redhead, I just might not see much of an improvement because the one I have, although 291K miles old, is not behaving badly. The next guy (i.e. hydro_man_17), though, may just see a HUGE improvement with the "new" unit if the one he was running before the change was almost falling apart or had some other major flaw inside of it.

The honest truth is that almost none of us really know how bad an existing unit is on someone else's truck. Add to that the fact that each one of our respective levels of expertise, sensitivity, tolerance, objectivity, etc. leave us with a very wide range from which to evaluate anyone else's experience. All of that simply means that almost none of us are in a position to either question or validate the degree of improvement that other guy either experiences or does not experience with the new equipment. The longer the list is of experienced input from others only means we can better reach general conclusions, but there will always be exceptions.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:00 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Pete, I agree 100%.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:03 PM
shortblockchevy
Junior User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Not for nothing, but in my opinion, not much really.

Here's a post from another thread I made a few days ago regarding steering boxes and powers steering pumps:

So from where I stand, I am on the same page as you, chapter and verse, regarding what you posted here.

Stewart
Just my experience, I jumped in on the last group by and mine was bad out of the box. Took a while, but I finally received a refund.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:07 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
I read results from a recent group buy there were a number of bad units or ones that failed very soon, even some people went out and bought new OEM to replace because of delays and frustration.

I wonder how many people have marginal boxes but don't know enough about them to flag them, maybe blaming some other parts?

After the delays and frustrations of senior, experienced members, I'd go with new OEM. Being CHEAPER is icing on the cake

But that is just my opinion. Your truck, get what you want

Old 06-14-2017, 12:17 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
"I'd go with new OEM"
I don't think that there is such a thing anymore. From what I have found these particular steering boxes have not been made for years. Some a referred to as "new rebuilt" with rebuilt being the operative word here.

Quick Reply: Redhead Group Buy Baby!!!