2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Sulastic Spring Shackles? (All 3 concurrent threads merged)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 12:53 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,719 Likes on 2,755 Posts
Originally Posted by Top_Speed1
It looks like it won't have any effect on heavy towing. The movement (cushion) is all in the unloaded/empty range. After load, these do nothing as they are expanded all the way out and the normal leaf springs take full effect.
Will the rear end squat even more under a load since the Sulastic springs are fully compressed? I haven't looked for numbers that show compressed versus uncompressed heights.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:59 PM
hollapm
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was debating starting a new thread or keeping everything centralized, but wanted to let you know that Sulastic is offering a FTE discount for those interested in buying their springs. After reviewing Big Truck / Big RV video that ruphianh provided I can say I was impressed. I reached out to Sulastic to see if they would participate in a group buy and was provided that they would love to. They are offering a $30 off coupon code to help make the buying experience better. I am providing links to their product for your needs as well as the coupon code below:

I did inquire about having to grind the hitch and was informed that they improved the design so that there is no longer a need to modify the hitch.

2017+ shackle for ride/comfort
2017+ Heavy Duty shackle For heavier loads

Coupon code for $30 off Sulastic Shocks is sulasticfte

Old 06-19-2017, 05:06 PM
ruphianh
Tuned
Originally Posted by hollapm
I was debating starting a new thread or keeping everything centralized, but wanted to let you know that Sulastic is offering a FTE discount for those interested in buying their springs. After reviewing Big Truck / Big RV video that ruphianh provided I can say I was impressed. I reached out to Sulastic to see if they would participate in a group buy and was provided that they would love to. They are offering a $30 off coupon code to help make the buying experience better. I am providing links to their product for your needs as well as the coupon code below:

I did inquire about having to grind the hitch and was informed that they improved the design so that there is no longer a need to modify the hitch.

2017+ shackle for ride/comfort
2017+ Heavy Duty shackle For heavier loads

Coupon code for $30 off Sulastic Shocks is sulasticfte
I've got an F350, if I use the Ride/Comfort, do I affect load carrying? How's that work?

Also, I'm going to edit the initial post to include this info for the group buy.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:16 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,199 Likes on 573 Posts
I'll be interested to here about the install as guys start to do these. Grinding the hitch receiver for clearance kind of takes the fun out of a bolt on install for me....

Old 06-19-2017, 05:38 PM
hollapm
Tuned
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
I'll be interested to here about the install as guys start to do these. Grinding the hitch receiver for clearance kind of takes the fun out of a bolt on install for me....
They said that you no longer need to do this. That was my initial challenge but they re-designed them to fix that.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:44 PM
hollapm
Tuned
Originally Posted by ruphianh
I've got an F350, if I use the Ride/Comfort, do I affect load carrying? How's that work?

Also, I'm going to edit the initial post to include this info for the group buy.
From what they told me, the HD springs use a harder rubber compound for the shackle, so the ride will be harsher if using the HD springs on the F250/F350 without a load.
If using the standard shackle the ride will be more comfortable but you will likely bottom out the shackle when carrying a heavy load as the rubber will be compressed.
Its more dependent on how you use your truck. If your carrying heavy loads more frequently then the HD shackle makes more sense. If you carry heavy loads occasionally then the standard one likely makes more sense.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:48 PM
LiquidSteam
Posting Guru
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
I wanted to go with Deaver springs but they raise the truck an inch and I can't seem to find a "level " kit that works with the springs.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:49 PM
LiquidSteam
Posting Guru
So this may be an option...

Old 06-19-2017, 05:50 PM
System
Prolocutor
They said that you no longer need to do this. That was my initial challenge but they re-designed them to fix that.
Wow, that's great news.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:54 PM
ruphianh
Tuned
From what they told me, the HD springs use a harder rubber compound for the shackle, so the ride will be harsher if using the HD springs on the F250/F350 without a load.
If using the standard shackle the ride will be more comfortable but you will likely bottom out the shackle when carrying a heavy load as the rubber will be compressed.
Its more dependent on how you use your truck. If your carrying heavy loads more frequently then the HD shackle makes more sense. If you carry heavy loads occasionally then the standard one likely makes more sense.
Is it a bad thing if you bottom out the shackle? Would you even feel it or does it clunk?

Can you not just run the regular duty for good ride and when you run a loaded bed, bottom out the shackle?

Old 06-19-2017, 05:58 PM
LiquidSteam
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ruphianh
Is it a bad thing if you bottom out the shackle? Would you even feel it or does it clunk?

Can you not just run the regular duty for good ride and when you run a loaded bed, bottom out the shackle?
I can't see why it would matter...

Old 06-19-2017, 05:58 PM
System
Prolocutor
I would think you could combine the softer shackles with air bags. Then you'd have a soft ride unloaded and the bags would take up the slack when loaded and keep you from bottoming the shackles.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:06 PM
LiquidSteam
Posting Guru
I may be a guinea pig....

Old 06-19-2017, 08:28 PM
xxxsherpa
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The guy that made the video on this post has made a follow up post. He tows his 5er around with cameras under truck to show how the Sulastics work under load. The video answers a lot of these questions.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:47 PM
DL222
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a Bakflip cover, 50 gal aux tank and a B&W that stay in my truck all the time. Witch one would work the best regular or the HD?

Quick Reply: Sulastic Spring Shackles? (All 3 concurrent threads merged)