Bed Clearance Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 01:26 PM
GASPIG88
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bed Clearance Concerns

I have this setup

I want to install F350 rear blocks and 2 Inch spacers up front and clear a 35. I currently have 33s... I don't tow it that often but when I do I don't want it to eat my truck up.

The extra clearance and tire will be nice for the deer lease and my many other uses for the truck... if i can pull it off.

Could someone weigh in here?

Old 05-31-2017, 02:20 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Now you are level. If you lift your truck, you are going to really be pulling your trailer on a slant and dump way more weight towards the rear. I am not sure, but you may have clearance problems at the truck bed, if you encounter really steep grades. What about also lifting the trailer?

Steve

Old 05-31-2017, 02:28 PM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Personally I would like more clearance than you have now.

Old 05-31-2017, 03:04 PM
GASPIG88
Mountain Pass
Man that is frustrating, every truck i own is tight for this trailer.

Darn thing ate a toolbox off of my 2000 crew cab superduty.

Never seen a lifted trailer... sounds kind of weird

Old 05-31-2017, 03:20 PM
Good listener
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GASPIG88

Raising trailers is rapidly becoming more common because the truck manufacturers are moved to create behemoth vehicles to appeal to market of those more concerned with appearance over function. Look at how the trucks have grown since the 90's. If you go to a RV show you'll see the fifth wheels are taller and moving from 3 entrance steps to 4 in some cases. Your very right- it's weird!

Old 05-31-2017, 07:08 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by GASPIG88

My fiver is lifted 2" using the kit from Lippert, though I am not sure it will work on a horse trailer. I know it sounds weird, but what is even weirder to me is how tall Ford is making their darn trucks. I just picked up a slide-in camper and the jacks will not raised the camper high enough to load unless I put blocks under them. I used to get questions all the time about raising fivers to tow with the new trucks.

I have 8" between my bed rails and my fiver and backing up the steep grade onto our spare lot, I have maybe an inch of clearance at most. Before I lifted the fiver I had maybe a 1/2".

Steve

Old 05-31-2017, 07:26 PM
GASPIG88
Mountain Pass
I don't like how low it is I can tell you that.... if it eats another tool box I'm going to get drastic...

Old 05-31-2017, 07:37 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Can you run a little high hitched on the front? Nothing crazy, but can you pick up a little? I know that dumps more on the rear axle of your trailer and I am sure you don't want your horses thinking they are standing on the side of a mountain, but even a little might help.

Steve

Old 05-31-2017, 07:43 PM
GASPIG88
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Can you run a little high hitched on the front? Nothing crazy, but can you pick up a little? I know that dumps more on the rear axle of your trailer and I am sure you don't want your horses thinking they are standing on the side of a mountain, but even a little might help.

Steve

I did that with my 07 CCSB PSD it worked ok

Old 05-31-2017, 08:06 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
I'd look at lifting the trailer. That thing is low, it's really not going to look out of the ordinary raised. What type of suspension does it have?

Old 06-01-2017, 06:03 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
I've only worked on a few horse trailers, but all the ones I saw were really low, I guess for easy loading. I am not sure how adding a little height would affect that.

Steve

Old 06-01-2017, 09:06 AM
cnm_mike
Senior User
RV_TECH is the Lipert lift kit that you speak of the "correct track"? I have been looking at this and adding Morrydes' corssmembers for stability.

Mike

Old 06-01-2017, 09:08 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Yes, I used the Correct Track on our fiver to get the added height.

Steve

Old 06-10-2017, 09:49 PM
whooboy
Mountain Pass
Raising the trailer means more trouble for loading the live stock it is supposed to haul. I wonder why the truck doesn't suit you the way it is.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:14 AM
GASPIG88
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by whooboy
Raising the trailer means more trouble for loading the live stock it is supposed to haul. I wonder why the truck doesn't suit you the way it is.
I have since gained some new perspective after towing this for a while and using it as a toy hauler. (ATV). I use it for camping and hunting and fishing (kayaks)

It is a wonderful solution to an RV. I never liked RVs because they leak, they rot, they are expensive, and the little stuff breaks easy.

This trailer has been used for horses for 17 years, and now i use it as a fun mobile. Anywhere my truck will go the trailer has no business being... but it does a good job keeping up.

I decided to move away from oversize tires and aggressive tires. I bought a set of take offs from a 2018 platinum edition F250 that was being lifted at a dealership. They changed everything, towing this trialer is a breeze in the current configuration and the truck can do anything i will ever need it to.

Hats off to Ford, I have been a superduty fan since 99 and with more realistic perspective i can see that there was never any need to modify this purpose built truck.

It is like i bought a new truck. It rides better, it drives better, and it is quiet in the cab. So far the Michelins provide amble traction anywhere i want to go.

Maybe I am getting old... this is my first set of street tires and it is nice.

Quick Reply: Bed Clearance Concerns