Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Water still leaking on passenger floor board

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 05:15 PM
1993 ford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water still leaking on passenger floor board

I have posted a thread before about how I have a water leak on my passenger floor board. I have siliconed under neath the cowl and flex sealed it. I had a brand new windshield put in and it still leaks. It only leaks when it rains I am stumped. Please help! Thanks

Old 05-29-2017, 05:35 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
No rust in cowl?
Cowl drains clear?
Verified windshield not leaking (remove inside trim and dash)?
New or good cowl/hood seal? Heater box sealed up and not cracked?
Heater core not leaking?

Old 05-29-2017, 05:51 PM
1993 ford
Senior User
Originally Posted by cadunkle
No rust in cowl?
Cowl drains clear?
Heater core not leaking?
Cowl drains clear
no rust in the cowl
not the heater core
not the hood seal
I thought it was the windshield when the old one was in because when they removed it it looked like there was some damp mud behind it. I thought it was leaking in and then falling down the back of the dash and onto the floor board but then after they put the new one in it's doing the exact same thing what trim do I remove to check and do I have to take the whole dash apart? I have went as far as blocking off the right drain of the cowl and drilling a hole and running a hose underneath the vehicle to keep watt away from the air intake.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:22 PM
1993 ford
Senior User
No rust in cowl?
Cowl drains clear?
Heater core not leaking?
what's your email I was able to get a video of where it's leaking while it was raining very hard

Old 05-29-2017, 06:33 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Check your PM...

Old 05-29-2017, 07:29 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Got your video and responded via email. It's leaking at the heater box to firewall seal at the part of the heater box where the blower motor mounts.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:46 PM
Fixnstuff
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 1993 ford
I have posted a thread before about how I have a water leak on my passenger floor board.
You have posted more than one "same topic" more like THREE or maybe FOUR including where you first mentioned it under an unrelated topic title..

PLEASE do NOT start new topics for the "same problem." Continue your posts in just one topic. If you follow that rule, that topic and your post will come right to the top of the first page and everyone will see it! People trying to help need to see what has already been advised, what you have already done, photos that were posted etc. etc. We don't want to start all over from the beginning every time. To find all of the previous information now, we would have to back through pages and pages of topics to find the earlier ones you created and look at those.
Sorry this was so long

Please don't be offended in any way, maybe I'm being too-cranky this morning. I really do want to help you solve the problem as does everyone else.

I posted a clear photo of the area cadunkle just mentioned describing where to look for leaks. (in one of your previous topics) Others mentioned it also.

Another thing, your replies to suggestions tend to be "it's not that," "I don't think it's that" "I'm sure it's not that"or "I already looked" (at what exactly?) and it's unclear if you are actually understanding what we've been telling you or following instructions. Your feed-back could be clearer so we know that you are looking at the right locations.

Don't even think about pulling window trim inside or out and I'm sure everyone would agree now that they know it's a new wind-shield. The mud you saw was probably (mostly) at the outside corner of the wind-shield under the chrome trim. Tree debris dust/dirt etc. always gets under the exterior trim and eventually turns to 'mud.'

For others who remove the cowl cover for any reason, use a pick of some kind to pull the dirt/debris out from under the trim (its a big gap), especially in the corners or it's likely to interfere when re-installing the cowl cover and it won't go back on straight and perfect.

Don't mess with that trim or any trim around the wind-shield inside or out. It's all cleaned and sealed by the wind-shield installer. If there was a problem there like rust holes through top of the cab they would have seen it and told you about it.

That being said, I really honestly do want to know how much the new wind-shield cost - if it was "brand new" and IF it is tinted at the top. I'll have to replace mine for making a stupid mistake (not entirely my fault as I was following directions from I guy I was buying a new mirror from so we could put it on. I could see the right way to get it off and I should have known better but he was in a hurry to get back to work) Resulted in cracking my otherwise perfect wind-shield where the mirror is attached. It's OK for now but I will replace it. I have not been sure if a NEW WINDSHIELDS are still available for these trucks. Thanks in advance for that info.

That is a bad leak. It has to be simple to find!
You just need to follow instructions more closely and give more accurate feed-back.

About the photo of the siliconed drain hose modification you posted. I don't understand exactly where that is located, nor how it could prevent water from getting into the intake. The hood to cowl seal is a wide, long rubber seal that goes almost all the way across the firewall, a few inches above the air-cleaner - about the same level as the bottom of the windshield wiper motor. THAT is what keeps water from running onto the top of the air cleaner and into the intake and a link I posted to LMC Truck parts shows that seal and others I pointed out. THAT is a very important seal but not related to your leak.

How deep does the water have to get to reach the top of that drain hose? 1/4 inch or more? I don't see how it's doing anything useful and plugging the cowl drain (however you did is a mystery to me too) did not stop the leak and you might want to un-do whatever you did there.

If you do have the cowl cover off, a picture of what you've done on that side might be useful to understand what you have done under there. (If you don't find the leak from the advice that cadunkle and others have given).

I think we've posted every possible location that water could be coming from to leak to the floor like that, plus other areas not related to that leak, just to check for general maintenance purposes.

Lets try to make this easy and find that bad leak. Maybe a picture of the area cadunkle mentioned would help,

Sorry this post was so long

Old 05-30-2017, 04:20 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
For reference, the area circled in red is what is leaking. Heater box to firewall joint just as I suggested in my first response to this thread, and was dismissed as being fine. I suggested OP remove the box, clean everything up, and reseal it.

Name:  P1050617.jpg
Views: 1288
Size:  284.4 KB

Old 05-30-2017, 05:19 PM
Fixnstuff
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Sounds like a good plan! Probably less work than everything else he has done which was A LOT and I have to honestly commend and compliment this young man for all the work he has done trying to fix this problem!

I've thought that it has to be either inside the cowl in the same area or in this area (anywhere around it) Once it comes off it might be as plain as day.

What would YOU use to seal this up again, cadunkle? Something he could find locally. I don't like silicone for reasons I've mentioned elsewhere but ya'll, can consider that a personal bias if you want. Doesn't seem appropriate for this application.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:47 PM
1993 ford
Senior User
For reference, the area circled in red is what is leaking. Heater box to firewall joint just as I suggested in my first response to this thread, and was dismissed as being fine. I suggested OP remove the box, clean everything up, and reseal it.

sent you another email found another leak streaming in a lot worse than the first one.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:55 AM
DarkOverCast
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hang a sprinkler up in a tree upside down and park underneath it, shouldn't take long to figure out where it's leaking if it's as bad as you/they say.

That's how I found my leak, it was in the same spot circled above..

Old 06-07-2017, 11:27 AM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't need pull it to seal that, cut the old rubber off, get new butyl tape and reseal it there.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:15 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Fixnstuff I sent you a PM

Old 06-16-2017, 09:07 PM
1993 ford
Senior User
No rust in cowl?
Cowl drains clear?
Heater core not leaking?
The issue has been fixed. After about 3 1/2 months the issue has been identified and fixed. Just had a torrential down pour and was able to run out to my truck during the down pour and my floor board was bone dry. It was leaking around the heater core hoses because when we replaced the heater core we didn't think about resealing it. The second leak was around the top of the heater box. Thanks to cadunkle for being the one to identify the leak and tell me how to fix it. I appreciate every one who contributed to finding the leak but I really need to thank cadunkle. Thanks guys!